• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 9 wax showdown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 9 wax showdown!

Are you testing them all on the same paint system or paint panel?

Or multiple different paint systems and/or cars or paint panels?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Are you testing them all on the same paint system or paint panel?

Or multiple different paint systems and/or cars or paint panels?

One car, same panel (hood). I'll have pictures up soon enough but I will say this...

So far there it is very hard to notice any difference in looks (as to be expected when this many products are cramped onto a panel). However when inspected against bare paint there some products definetly darken the paint more then others. Past that appearance is very close to a wash.

Also initial water beading in the rain seems to be about even, I even video taped the water running off the hood.
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
        One car, same panel (hood). I'll have pictures up soon enough but I will say this...

So far there it is very hard to notice any difference in looks (as to be expected when this many products are cramped onto a panel). However when inspected against bare paint there some products definitely darken the paint more then others. Past that appearance is very close to a wash.

Also initial water beading in the rain seems to be about even, I even video taped the water running off the hood.
        More power to you...

I've watched R&D test products as well as others here at Meguiar's, of course I've done my own testing of most of the waxes on the market including most if not all the ones you listed.

Besides how long a product will bead water, (which is the criteria most enthusiasts go by), there's also "real protection" which you can't measure realistically because you would have to somehow duplicate real-world conditions over time and that starts to get kind of difficult.

Besides that, I've posted this many times but here it goes again...

Anything that lands on a modern clear coat finish that is nasty and corrosive enough to etch or eat into the clear layer of paint, (resin), is going to be strong enough to eat through the micron thin layer of whatever wax you're using and still etch or eat into the paint.

Can't think anything worse that can happen to the paint that happens in the real world that the owner usually isn't around to or able to prevent and must rely upon their choice of wax protection to do the job for them.

In most cases, the most you can hope for is that the protection ingredients will slow down the offending contaminant.

That being true and no one has ever proved it isn't, then it comes down to all the other factors, like

Appearance: That includes gloss, shine, clarity, richness of color or darkness.

For what it's worth there's a certain group of people that repeated the mantra that any wax that changes the color of a paint is a bad thing for years... (they're wrong of course, if you want the blackest paint then you want the darkest black color, not gray and this applies to any color, it's called the full richness of color which most people just use the term darkness or darkening effect as that's how they see it and that's how they know how to use words to explain it but I digress...

Longevity: Back to water beading

Ease of use: This includes application and wipe-off

Cost: Goes without saying

Availability: This would include how easy or hard it is to obtain the product, retail or online in most cases.

And after all is said and done, regardless of all the test people do the only test that really matters is the one each one of us does on our own, on our own car.

It is our individual experience that will cause us to purchase a second bottle or can if and when the first bottle or can runs out.

So best of luck to you on your testing and we look forward to your results.

Just to be clear we will NOT allow anyone to bash our forum members, other companies or Meguiar's. So please keep this in mind as you participate on this forum.

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So far there it is very hard to notice any difference in looks (as to be expected when this many products are cramped onto a panel). However when inspected against bare paint there some products definetly darken the paint more then others. Past that appearance is very close to a wash.

I did a similar test last weekend and found the change in darkness to vary depending on the time of day. Early afternoon and evening showed the difference more noticeably, especially for capturing it in pictures.

I will be looking for the post on your results.
          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Actually I just started a test that consists of testing the following products and I will have pictures up in a couple days..

BulletProof Platinum
            Collinite #476
            Collinite #845
            Collinite #915
            ClearKote Vanilla Moose Wax
            Meguiars #16
            Meguiasr #26
            Meguiars NXT V2.0
            Lusso Oro
            Pinnacle Souveran
            P21s 100% Carnauba Wax
            Rejex
            Ultima Paint Guard Plus
            Werkstat Acrylic Jett
            Zaino Z2 Pro
            Zaino Z5 Pro
            Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal
            Zymol Vintage Estate Gauge

But to answer your question, I haven't found that NXT 2.0 is making it past the 5 week point with out a significant reduction in gloss, slickness, and water beading/sheeting ability. Is this longer then I found for NXT 1.0? Yes. Is it far from the normal as to other people who have been using it? Not from people who I have spoken with.

I have seen with my own eyes Collinite #476 and #845 look fresh 3 months after application and still bead like (or near like) new 6 months out. Not even close. I have taken everything into account for this test and tried to be as fair about surface prep as possible. We will see....
            Awesome! Can't wait for the pics and video and results. I've only tried a couple on your list but I won't say what I thought/found from them before you start posting results. Unfortunately, I've never done a side by side comparison so I kind of had to use memory to determine what I thought looked better. Add to that that I haven't really owned a car that was a good color for testing a waxes appearance since 1993. Since then, I'll my cars have been either silver or white (yes - not to diverse).

The only product from the list I will mention in particular is Pinnacle Souveran, which I thought was pretty terrible. I thought it looked flat and had very poor durability IMO. I've tried every Meg's product on your list, along with P21's 100% and the CK moose wax also.
            ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              then it comes down to all the other factors, like

Appearance: That includes gloss, shine, clarity, richness of color or darkness.

For what it's worth there's a certain group of people that repeated the mantra that any wax that changes the color of a paint is a bad thing for years... (they're wrong of course, if you want the blackest paint then you want the darkest black color, not gray and this applies to any color, it's called the full richness of color which most people just use the term darkness or darkening effect as that's how they see it and that's how they know how to use words to explain it but I digress...

Longevity: Back to water beading

Ease of use: This includes application and wipe-off

Cost: Goes without saying

Availability: This would include how easy or hard it is to obtain the product, retail or online in most cases.

And after all is said and done, regardless of all the test people do the only test that really matters is the one each one of us does on our own, on our own car.

It is our individual experience that will cause us to purchase a second bottle or can if and when the first bottle or can runs out.

So best of luck to you on your testing and we look forward to your results.

Just to be clear we will NOT allow anyone to bash our forum members, other companies or Meguiar's. So please keep this in mind as you participate on this forum.

Thanks.

Mike,

This is truly great info and exactly how I look at things. I suppose that is why I remain a Meg's junkie that occasionally has an affair with another product, only to always come crawling back to Meguiars!

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                I did a similar test last weekend and found the change in darkness to vary depending on the time of day. Early afternoon and evening showed the difference more noticeably, especially for capturing it in pictures.

I will be looking for the post on your results.
                Rasky,

I went to that civic forum to look at your work... all I can say is that aside from the legend (Mike Phillips) there are about four other guys here that I would LOVE to give my car to for the day (you, Nick C, Superior Shine and Derrick). Just sick work dude!

Comment

I had the EXACT same experience which is why I now am so adamant about people looking into other factors (like the ones Mike listed) instead of 'looks'. I also found that the bead was so similar with freshly waxed surfaces that it wasn't even worth really looking too much into.

Glad your test is proving so far what I found in my test and I'm not just crazy

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                    Rasky,

I went to that civic forum to look at your work... all I can say is that aside from the legend (Mike Phillips) there are about four other guys here that I would LOVE to give my car to for the day (you, Nick C, Superior Shine and Derrick). Just sick work dude!
                    Well Thank You!
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');