• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the plane fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Bumper PLEASE READ this, Its long but it will explain in detail what your not getting.

The conveyor-belt runway myth is running around the internet wildly. AVweb columnist Rick Durden explains the myth in depth.
    Rich
    If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
    DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

• Originally posted by ViperArry
      Why is the plane capable of moving on the conveyor?
      Well I don't think I'm very good at explaining things, but I'll give it another try.

The plane moves because the engines push against the air (which is not moving), not the moving conveyor.

Comment

• It's a very strange situation.....

With all this explanations (Thanks!) I understand it....

But, when you first look at it, you'd say... it won't ever fly.
        Funny thing is.... the website says....

I watched and listened to the disagreement for a while and was fascinated to see that the argument seemed to split between those who had some engineering or math background, all of whom said the airplane would takeoff and fly without any problem; and those with some other background,
        I graduated in Civil Engineering... so this isn't allways correct.

Still I'd like to see the Mythbusters do this...... only to see the big engines burn and stuff.....

Comment

• This plane ran out of gas a few weeks ago and it's ready for another coat of Wax already. I hope the pilot at least washed it properly by using the 2 bucket method.
          Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by ViperArry
            I graduated in Civil Engineering... so this isn't allways correct.
            Agreed! I never graduated anything, and my last IQ test put me at 72. :p

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
              I don't agree.

There is a certain amount of mass that has to be overcome. I'm not saying the plane can't fly though.
              The amount of mass that the propeller has to move is the same; it is the mass of the plane. The movement of the conveyor doesn't change that.
              As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                If the engines were off then the plane would move backward with the conveyor.
                This is not true.....The conveyor stops when the engine(s) stop.

My mistake.
                r. b.

Comment

• Yes, your mistake.

No, the conveyor won't stop with the engines.

The wheels have NO drive.

The plane will stop rolling on the conveyor, and after a certain amount of time, it will go backward.

PLZ, start to show signs of understanding!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');