• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Motor Oil Do you Prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Motor Oil Do you Prefer?

Redline
    Do it right the first time

Comment

Amsoil in the car and bikes.

Comment

eneos oil
        Don't get so caught up making a living that you forget to make a life.

Comment

That's some good stuff too.

Comment

Used to be exclusive Mobil 1, then Mobil 1EP, now I use Walmart's synthetic in my older cars with 5K change intervals. An aside, Wally-World's filters are made by Champion Labs and are also excellent values. I would buy them all day over the regular Fram filters.
            Last edited by Shootist; Mar 1, 2011, 10:52 AM. Reason: Notification change

Comment

SuperTech oil and filters are both quite good, contrary to popular belief. Filters are by Champion and the oil is WPP.

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post

Which motor oil do you most frequently change your car with?

I use M1, but I do not change it frequently, as the days of 3k miles, or 3 months is a thing of the past. Motor oil has come a long way in the past 20 years.

I know peeps that have had UOA (used oil analysis) performed on oil's with a wide variety of intervals, including 10k, and even higher milage intervals, and according to the experts in the labratory, (lubrication and friction engineers) a UOA (synthetic) pulled from a 7,500 mile interval, can be shown to still be in very good shape.

I have a sports car in my garage that I do not drive very often, so I base my interval not on milage, but on time. My interval is 9-12 months. Synthetics have the ability to resist oxidation. At three months, a synthetic motor oil won't even be phased, if just chilling inside your crancase, inside your garage. It's has absolutely nothing to do with money, the fact is, there is absolutely no need to change it.

Changing your oil at 3k/3 months is a complete waste of time, energy and valuable resources. These days, just about any name brand motor oil will suffice, as the technology has come that far. I have spoken with experts whom say that even the dino oils are "almost" as good as syn.

I think it comes down to whatever color bottle floats your boat.

Happy motoring

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

I use M1, but I do not change it frequently, as the days of 3k miles, or 3 months is a thing of the past. Motor oil has come a long way in the past 20 years.

I know peeps that have had UOA (used oil analysis) performed on oil's with a wide variety of intervals, including 10k, and even higher milage intervals, and according to the experts in the labratory, (lubrication and friction engineers) a UOA (synthetic) pulled from a 7,500 mile interval, can be shown to still be in very good shape.

I have a sports car in my garage that I do not drive very often, so I base my interval not on milage, but on time. My interval is 9-12 months. Synthetics have the ability to resist oxidation. At three months, a synthetic motor oil won't even be phased, if just chilling inside your crancase, inside your garage. It's has absolutely nothing to do with money, the fact is, there is absolutely no need to change it.

Changing your oil at 3k/3 months is a complete waste of time, energy and valuable resources. These days, just about any name brand motor oil will suffice, as the technology has come that far. I have spoken with experts whom say that even the dino oils are "almost" as good as syn.

I think it comes down to whatever color bottle floats your boat.

Happy motoring

I have a sports car in my garage as well. It sees maybe 200 miles a year. I change my oil once a year with Pennzoil Platinum. The sports car gets stored for the cold and wet months. I change the oil when I take it out of storage.

I also did the oil testing for my daily driver. I found 7,500/6 months miles to be optimum for oil change interval on my RX330.

3 Months and 3k miles is a ridiculous waste these days.
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

Motul 0w-30
                    Regards Voltaire

The shiny one from Zürich

Comment

Eneos Molybdenum semi-syn 10w-40 and honda semi-syn 5w-30 (idemitsu-made in japan)
                      "If a sealant give you HD effect, a carnauba will give you the 3D effect"

Comment

i use mobile 1 in my bmw and in my mitsubishi endevor. 23$ at walmart for 5quarts is cheap. used to use ams oil but i change so often or at least every 3k 0r 5k it doesnt pay to use 10$ a quart oil. and always k@n air and oil filters.

Comment

K&N Air Filters

K&N oil filters (manufactured by Champion Labs) are basically the same as the Mobil 1 oil filter except for the handy socket attachment point on the bottom...excellent filter.
                          However, I would seriously research the K&N air filter performance online. They have a history of superior airflow but poor filtration.
                          Many people go to great pains to protect their engines with synthetic oils and premium filters, but then overlook the fact that dirt and abrasives can enter your engine with mediocre filtration. Racing teams will sacrifice filtration for flow, but they tear those engines down frequently.
                          I'm a big fan of the Purolator Pure One air filter. It has great flow AND filtration specs.
                          Just sayin...check out the K&N via independent reviews. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Comment

I use Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 in all of our cars, it is a very good oil according to oil analysis, and it is reasonably priced (although it's been going up lately...).

Comment

I use Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30. A little more expensive but well worth it. It pays off with the increase mpg that I get.

Comment

Valvoline synthetic 5w30. Used it in every car I've ever owned.
                                Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');