• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some good starting off products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good starting off products

I would first like to say thanks for all the help here. I almost bought some UC and then would have used it exactly like a wax. One of the first threads I read about the UC was exactly how NOT to use it. Which saved me a huge amount of time.
    My original plan was to get a clay kit, UC, and some type of Ultimate wax, either liquid or paste.
    Now I thinking to use swirlx instead of UC.

I have a few questions.
    When using the clay kit and then a abrasive product, I read that you want to use a carnuaba product. Since the Ultimate waxes are synthetic, are those still aloud to be used?
    What is the differences between liquid and paste waxes? I read that the liquid won't stain trim so to speak, and is a bit more of a pain to buff off.

I haven't made any purchases yet. Is there a better product to use besides swirlx? My car is a 2001 dodge stratus. Spent most of its life outdoors. I wax it in the spring and in the fall. There are a good amount of swirls on it, which I never really even cared to look for until I reached this sit.

Thanks ahead of time

Starting off

My best advice is to spend the money and buy an orbital or DA buffer right off the bat. This isnt a necessity, but youll be glad you got one. First wash I would use Any of the soap, and then follow that with claying it. Toss on some nice tire shine at this point, because you'll clean off the excess when you compound/ polish. Then get a good compound and get all the wax off from the previous owner. That way you'll be starting with a clean slate. The Rubbing Compound followed with Polishing Compound might work in lieu of the ScratchX for minor scratches and swirl marks. Any scratch you can stick your fingernail into might need to be wetsanded with a 1200-1500 grit. Keep in mind that the polish stage is where you get all the shine and fill all the imperfections, the wax just is a protective layerJust be patient and go slow. As far as wax goes, its all personal preference. Personally I use Synthetic NXT as a base coat, then follow it up with at least 3 coats of carauba. Always helps to have some instant detailer handy in the trunk for the inevitable bird dropping. At the end of the day its your car though, so experiment and find something you like. Goodluck!

Comment

Re: Some good starting off products

Since the Ultimate waxes are synthetic, are those still aloud to be used?
      You may be confusing synthetic products with products with VOCs, volatile organic compounds. VOCs are regulated and I believe Meguiar's complies fully with those regulations. Synthetic in the case of waxes just means not found naturally in nature. Waxes can be synthetic, natural and hybrids. You'll enjoy any of the Meguiar's waxes.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

When using the clay kit and then a abrasive product, I read that you want to use a carnuaba product. Since the Ultimate waxes are synthetic, are those still aloud to be used?
        You can use any product for cleaning / polishing / waxing after claying. Just depends on what you like, or what works best on your paint.

What is the differences between liquid and paste waxes? I read that the liquid won't stain trim so to speak, and is a bit more of a pain to buff off.
        The Ult,. Wax liquid wont stain trim. All other Meguiars waxes can.
        I haven't made any purchases yet. Is there a better product to use besides swirlx? My car is a 2001 dodge stratus. Spent most of its life outdoors. I wax it in the spring and in the fall. There are a good amount of swirls on it, which I never really even cared to look for until I reached this sit.
        If you want to fix swirls, will probably need UC.

If you just want to shine it up a bit, SwirlX and a wax will be ok.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

@bRuggere none of my scratches are that bad that I would need to wet sand it.
          @wifpd4 Thanks for clearing that up for me.
          @Mur1525 Thanks, how exactly would I know what works best on my paint? or is that something I just have to go and experiment with? I will also just stick with swirlx for now... I rather ease my way into what I would call "fine" detailing. I don't want to go too abrasive yet.

Comment

Thanks, how exactly would I know what works best on my paint? or is that something I just have to go and experiment with?
            Well, it was kind of a general term, but as far as polish/wax, it is really just what looks good to your eyes, and seems to give the durability you like. So in that way, it is just trying things if you feel like it, or picking something and sticking with it. Not a big deal.

When it comes to defect removal, like swirls, scratches, etc, different paints can react differently. 95% of the cars out there, it is pretty straightforward, but some paints just want to be difficult, whether hard to fix, or easily marred, or whatever. And at that point, it really is seeing what your paint reacts to best.

I will also just stick with swirlx for now... I rather ease my way into what I would call "fine" detailing. I don't want to go too abrasive yet.
            Shining it up a bit more the first time will also help give a better idea of the paint condition, what you may want to do, etc.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');