• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

I needed some new polishes, since the ones I have been using just didn't have enough cut for some jobs. So after reading on a few different found, I decided to order some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, since a lot of people seem to say that they cut really well and do not create a lot of hazing like typical compounds. I am prety new to the SMAT technology that is in some of the Meguiars products, before all I have used is diminishing abrasive polishes. So I am used to lightly misting a pad with pad prime or water before actually applying polish to the pad.

Now I have been reading different articles and techniques regarding M105 pad priming, but it seems everyone seems to have their own technique and it makes it kind of confusing to understand. Some say spread the polish over the pad surface just enough to cover the pad, while others say use a couple pea sized drops. Does this same sort of pad priming technique apply with the Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish? Do I not need to mist the pad before applying the product?

Also, with the Ulimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, how can I tell when the polishes are ready for removal?

I have a couple newer GM vehicles that I am going to be working on this weeked, both darker colors. I will be using both the UC and UP with my PC 7424 (non xp version). I know that GMs usually have a pretty hard finish to them, so do you all have any tips you could share with me when it comes to using these products on these types of vehicles, such speeds and pressure I should be using the with the UC and UP on the 7424 to get the best results?

I was thinking of using 5.5" LC pads for the UC and 5.5" white pads for the UP. Does this sound like a good combo for most GMs, or should I get some LC black pads for the UP?

Re: New to Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

Regarding pad priming: Pad priming means trying to cover the entire face of the pad with product. Don't saturate your pad... Apply just enough to cover it uniformly and thinly. After you've primed the pad then you don't have to re-prime it after every section or put a large "X" in the pad. You only need 3-4 pea sized dots of product as you go on since your pad is already primed.

UC and UP are considered SMAT products so you're not really required to buff it out until x number of passes. You work it as much as you want or need since the abrasives stay the same throughout the entire buffing cycle. You as the user will dictate how much cut you want with regards to buffing time with everything else being equal. You can do 4 section passes or as much as 8 section passes... Just don't let the polish/compound dry up as you're buffing.

Have you read the very detailed and thorough article written by Michael Stoops: D/A Buffing 101: An Introduction to the G110v2 This article should tell you everything you need to know to buff your car with a cleaner polish or polish type of product.

As for speed settings, please refer to this article: Product, Pad and Speed settings for the G110 Dual Action Polisher
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Re: New to Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

So with the first few sections, the product that has been applied to prime the pad should be adequate enough without having to apply any drops of polish, right?

I have read with M105, you can spritz some water onto the surface area being worked if the product seems to start to dry, I am guessing that you can do the same with the UC and UP since they are SMAT products too?

I'm pretty familiar with using a DA using the diminishing style abrasives, but like I said just new to SMAT products and how they work. I'm just looking to get as much info as I can, so I might be asking a lot of questions, since it might be a little bit of a learning curve from what I am used to

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');