• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 128i, light swirling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 128i, light swirling...

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and well, this is my first post.

Not sure if anyone here is attending Bimmerfest in August, but I am and would like to enter the contest they're having for 'Cleanest Ride'

I have a 2008 128i Coupe Convertible (the Cabriolet) in the metallic space grey colour.

Now, I didn't notice it at the dealership when I picked it up about 2 months ago (it was cloudy and crappy outside all day) but I notice now that I have some light swirls on the car, nothing too bad really) and it is not driving me insane because I know they're there and I want this car looking as nice as it is.

I am ready to purchase the PC 7424 however I have no idea what kind of pads to get with it, the kit I am getting ($199CDN w/ free shipping) comes with 3 pads.

Right now I have Meguiars Gold Class car wash, I randomly picked this up and it was my first time ever using one of their products and its an awesome soap to use, best one I've used so far.

What should I get along with the 7424 Kit that will allow me to remove the scratches and also, what type of wax should I use to give the car a really wet/shiny look to the paint? I'd really like this car to stand out.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: 2008 128i, light swirling...

Welcome to Meguiar's Online.

I really like BMW's 1-series. They're cool rides. They have them available as 5-door hatchback in Europe as well. The compact SUV X1 should hit US market this fall.

Okay, let's go back to topic - swirls.
    To remove swirls you will need a paint cleaner or a cleaner/ polish. SwirlX and Ultimate Polish are cleaner/ polishes and Ultimate Compound is an aggressive paint cleaner/ compound. You want to start with less aggressive product first by performing a small test spot to see if your defects are fully and successfully removed. Then you would do the same process through the entire car. If a cleaner polish is not aggressive enough Ultimate Compound may be needed. It mostly depends on depth of defects (swirls) and hardness of your car paint.

Another approach (if they're really light swirls) it would be to use a cleaner wax, which is like all in one product - cleaner/ polish/ wax. ColorX, M06 Cleaner/ Wax, M66 Quick Detailer are cleaner waxes. You still want to top a cleaner wax with longer lasting finishing wax for better protection.

If you decide to buy Meguiar's accessories for your 7424 then get yellow polishing pads and black finishing pads. Soft Buff 2.0 buffing pads (7" diameter) can be machine washed and dried. You need W68DA backing plate to go with them. Yellow polishing pads are used with paint cleaners and cleaner polishes while black finishing pads go with pure polishes and waxes.

Some detailers also buy 4" buffing pads to work on small panels or in tight spaces. Meguiar's has them as well and they need S3BP backing plate.

Paint care cycle:
    1. Wash
    2. Clay (if needed)
    3. Clean
    4. Polish (optional step)
    5. Wax/ Protection
    6. Maintance

If you use Ultimate Polish as your polishing step it's gonna deliver rich polishing oils into the surface if you desire wet-look. Ultimate Wax or NxT Tech Wax 2.0 can be used for protection (synthetic waxes) or one of natural waxes (carnauba) like Gold Class Carnauba Plus or M26 High Tech Yellow Wax.

Comment

I prefer not to use any all in one type of products, so, should I use SwirlX and then something like BlackFire WetDiamond? I really REALLY want this car to be highly reflective to a point where you can see pretty much everything reflecting perfectly. I am going to be doing 1 car before I do mine as well so I'll be able to get used to how it all works out.

Comment

To get maximum reflection and gloss out of your car paint you need to remove below surface defects (swirls, scratches, blemishes, water spots, etc) and pump some rich polishing oils into it.

I would rather recommend Ultimate Polish/ Ultimate Wax combo in your case. If Ultimate Polish does not remove all defects then step up to more aggressive Ultimate Compound may be needed. Test spot would be crucial to determine successful approach.

That combo worked great on my Deep Sea Blue Metallic:
        http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...W-X3&highlight=

Comment

So how would this combo work. Using the 7424 (Can't get the g110v2 in Canada unfortunately)

Car wash soap: Meguiars Gold Class

Clay: Riccardo Clay Original Yellow
          Swirl Remover: Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (32oz)

Polish: Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Wax: not sure, what will give me a very wet look in the end, I heard Blackfire WetDiamond works very well but it is not really a wax so I am not 100% sure.

Now, for the swirl removal and polish, I should be using 2 separate pads correct? Such as 2 orange pads? (mild cutting) and for the wax I should be using a black pad?

Other Misc items not relevant to my waxing but get the rest of my car clean are:

Sonax Wheel cleaner + a brush to get all the stuff out
          Wheel nut and cavity cleaner.
          RaggTop cleaner
          Cookie Monster buffing towel 2.0
          Dehydrator Drying Towel 2.0

few other things as well

For the interior leather I use Meguiars Leather conditioner & cleanser.

What is a really good and easy to use non-greasy product for doing the dashboard and other plastic areas?

Comment

do not get the pc from eshine. go to amazon.com (usa site) and buy it there. with taxes and shipping u are looking at under 150.

Comment

Originally posted by xtrememodder View Post
              So how would this combo work. Using the 7424 (Can't get the g110v2 in Canada unfortunately)

Car wash soap: Meguiars Gold Class

Clay: Riccardo Clay Original Yellow
              Swirl Remover: Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (32oz)

Polish: Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Wax: not sure, what will give me a very wet look in the end, I heard Blackfire WetDiamond works very well but it is not really a wax so I am not 100% sure.

Now, for the swirl removal and polish, I should be using 2 separate pads correct? Such as 2 orange pads? (mild cutting) and for the wax I should be using a black pad?

Other Misc items not relevant to my waxing but get the rest of my car clean are:

Sonax Wheel cleaner + a brush to get all the stuff out
              Wheel nut and cavity cleaner.
              RaggTop cleaner
              Cookie Monster buffing towel 2.0
              Dehydrator Drying Towel 2.0

few other things as well

For the interior leather I use Meguiars Leather conditioner & cleanser.

What is a really good and easy to use non-greasy product for doing the dashboard and other plastic areas?
              Here is my entire list, total is after tax $404.66 Shipped

Details Name Unit Price Quantity Total Select
              559 SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect (16.9oz) Cdn$21.65 Cdn$21.65
              458 The Dehydrator Drying Towel 2.0 Cdn$16.15 Cdn$16.15
              453 The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel V2.0 Cdn$6.89 Cdn$6.89
              3030 Clean Wheel Nut and Cavity Cleaner Cdn$7.75 Cdn$7.75
              3185 1.Porter Cable 7424XP Swirl Buster Kit 5.5" Pads Cdn$190.26 Cdn$190.26
              1st Pad: - Orange Mild Cut - -
              2nd Pad: - Black Finishing - -
              3rd Pad: - Orange Mild Cut - -
              Instructional DVD ($13): - No Thanks - -
              Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner: - YES! - -
              2708 6" Upholstery Brush (stiff) Cdn$9.95 Cdn$9.95
              201 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover w/sprayer (32oz) Cdn$7.49 Cdn$7.49
              454 The Thief Glass Towel Cdn$5.40 Cdn$5.40
              3245 Stoner Invisible Glass Aerosol Cdn$6.99 Cdn$6.99
              2002 RAGGTOPP Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner w/sprayer Cdn$19.99 Cdn$19.99
              4001 Riccardo Clay Original Yellow (8oz) Cdn$21.99 Cdn$21.99
              452 The El Cheapo Microfiber Buffing Towel (Buy One, Get One Free!) Cdn$2.85 Cdn$5.70
              861 Chemical Guys Durafoam Contoured Large Tire Dressing Applicators (5pack) Cdn$12.40 Cdn$12.40
              3051 EZ Detail Brush Mini Cdn$14.99 Cdn$14.99
              3139 Lexol Premium Tire Shine (16oz) Cdn$10.50 Cdn$10.50

I still plan on getting a really good wax as well Also what type of applicator should I get for the wheel paste

Comment

Originally posted by qaz393 View Post
                do not get the pc from eshine. go to amazon.com (usa site) and buy it there. with taxes and shipping u are looking at under 150.
                What about taxes/duty and pads?

Comment

What about taxes/duty and pads?
                  amazon includes taxes in their shipping price.

also, compare your cart to autogeek.net

the canadian dollar is strong. just add on $5 and 13% for duty from autogeek. they usually have coupons

Comment

ultimate polish wouldnt be enough. look for the DA correcting system through autogeek. that one is way better and simplier than the stuff u get through eshine. also, dont expect the amount of microfiber u bought to be enough.

Comment

How about this process

Wash
                      Claybar
                      Clean&Polish with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish (Using orange pad)
                      Polish again with Meguiars Ultra Finishing Polish (using white pad)
                      Wax with BlackFire WetDiamond (1-2 coats)

Would that be good?

Comment

How about this process

Wash
                        Claybar
                        Clean&Polish with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish (Using orange pad)
                        Polish again with Meguiars Ultra Finishing Polish (using white pad)
                        Wax with BlackFire WetDiamond (1-2 coats)

Would that be good?
                        do not expect 1 pad to last your whole car unless u have a good cleaning system. ultimate polish is too fine. get m205 and m105

Comment

Originally posted by qaz393 View Post
                          do not expect 1 pad to last your whole car unless u have a good cleaning system. ultimate polish is too fine. get m205 and m105
                          I'm gonna get pad cleaner + a couple extra pads, and ultimate polish is too fine after using the cleaner?

edit: Ultra finishing polish (in my car right now) is #205...

So would the cleaner THEN the finishing polish be safe for my car?

are my pad choices for each thing correct?

Comment

I'm gonna get pad cleaner + a couple extra pads, and ultimate polish is too fine after using the cleaner?

edit: Ultra finishing polish (in my car right now) is #205...

So would the cleaner THEN the finishing polish be safe for my car?

are my pad choices for each thing correct?
                            Can't seem to edit posts?

Can I skip the cleaner polish or is it needed after clay barring and then using the finishing polish then wax? Is it reccomended to use both polishes to get the best shine/cleanliness?

Comment

I would go back and read what greg said.

- Wash
                              - Clay
                              - SwirlX and or Ultimate Compound for corrections
                              - Ultimate Polish or #205 (similar) for added gloss if so desired.
                              - Ultimate Wax, Blackfire Wet Diamond (my personal favorite) or NXT 2.0 or your favorite LSP for protection.

SwirlX and UC are readily available and cheap at your local auto parts stores or WalMart.

I assume your talking about LC pads when referring to orange and white. If the swirls are deeper, then an orange pad in combination with UC has worked well for me on newer Ford paint. Followed that up with Ultimate Polish. As greg stated, always start with Least aggressive compound first ala SwirlX, with say a white pad on a test spot and see what it does. If that is not working change to either an orange pad or go to UC.
                              2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');