• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start to Finish process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start to Finish process

OK, to detail the exterior, first rinse-off the dirt and grime, then wash it.

What next? Do I do the tires and wheels?

What's the best step-by-step on detailing the exterior to maximize result and efficiency? Like, why would you clean you glass, if you know you are going to do the trims next? You guys get what I am saying. Thank You!

Re: Start to Finish process

I always start by cleaning the wheels, tires, and wheelwells.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I agree with Nick. I start on the wheels and tires even before rinsing the car down.
      Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
      www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
      Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

The first thing I do is tires and wheels. Then rinse the vehicle down. Then start at the roof of the vehicle. Working my way down.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ephios- Are you looking for a broad approach, as was mentioned in the few posts above, or are you looking for a more detailed (excuse the pun) step-by-step of what everyone does for a "normal" detail?

Comment

Originally posted by photoryan View Post
            Ephios- Are you looking for a broad approach, as was mentioned in the few posts above, or are you looking for a more detailed (excuse the pun) step-by-step of what everyone does for a "normal" detail?
            Yes, I am actually looking for more "in-depth" on complete detail. For example, I would clean my wheels and tires first, then rinse the vehicle off. Then....

-wash the car
            -dry the car

These steps would also include the "complete" waxing process (prep included). In other words, a COMPLETE DETAIL. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I'm still learning as I go, although I've had some really good experiences through my learning process.

Each detail can be different, depending on the condition of the vehicle and what you are trying to accomplish with the detail. Of course I'm not a professional. I only do my cars and some friends and aquaintences.

A "typical" detail for me looks something like:

-Clean wheels and tires. Right now I use Megs All Wheel Cleaner if they have caked on brake dust or dirt, otherwise I just use a bucket of Megs car wash with a couple different brushes. If the tires are especially dirty, like with previous tire coating, I use Westley's Bleach-White. (Make sure you don't get this stuff on the car's paint.)

-Wash car. I use the two bucket method with Grit Guards and a Megs wash mitt. I am currently trying to use up the rest of some Megs Deep Crystal wash that I've had for quite some time. It only cost like $5 for the whole bottle, but I can't stand to throw a Megs product away. I do like my NXT Gen wash a lot better. I haven't tried any other washes yet.

-Dry car. I use an Absorber to get the majority of the water off, and then follow up with a Megs waffle weave MF towel. One WWMF towel will handle my entire Yukon after the Absorber.

-Use an air compressor to help dry tires, wheels and all the hidden areas of the car (badging, molding, between lights and body panels, etc.)

-Clay entire car. (This is assuming the paint is needing it, which it usually does.) I use Megs Quik Detailer as the lube right now. I just placed a huge ADS order, so I'll soon be using Last Touch. I also use the Megs blue mild clay. I've tried the white consumer line clay, and didn't like it as much.

-Paint cleaner/ polish. Again, depends on what the paint needs. Sometimes there are no swirls or anything, and I just want a nice little polish. Sometimes it needs a lot of work.
              A. If it just needs a little polish, I'll either use M80 or M66, depending on how much time I want to spend. (I like the results of the M80 better, but M66 is the polish/light cleaner/wax in one step.)
              B. If it needs a lot, I could go in many directions. Sometimes I'll use M83, although I just started using M105 and like that a LOT better. On rare occaisions, I'll use the new Ultimate Compound or ScratchX 2.0. But the M83 or M105 seem to do a better job if it's a larger amount of area that needs to be worked on.

-Wax the car. I really like NXT Generation Tech wax. However, if I used the M66 in the previous step, that will cover my wax stage. I have also used Megs Synthetic Sealant (M21?)

-Dress the tires. I use both aerosol or gel right now, depending on the application. The aerosol has less shine than the gel, and gets all over the ground if I'm not careful. But it's a lot quicker on larger tires. The gel looks better and shines more, but my hands always get filthy. (I always think of latex gloves after the fact.)

-Vaccuum and clean interior. I'll usually spot treat carpet and upholstry. If there's leather, I use Megs leather cleaner/conditioner. I like the Megs Interior detailer. It has a natural shine (almost none) and cleans general dirt and stuff well.

-Finish off with glass any any chrome parts that need a little shine.

-Stand back and enjoy the fact that I've just spent a few hours (or more) to completely change the appearance of the car. In my full-time job as a commercial loan underwriter I don't get the opportunity to see a difference that my work has made. It's nice to get that on the occaisional weekend.

Comment

Thanks, photoryan! I appreciate you taking the time. This should help me a lot.

Comment

No problem. We're all on here to learn and help each other learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');