• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions about NXT Tech Wax 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about NXT Tech Wax 2.0

1. Would a regimen consisting of wash, clay, and one thin layer of NXT 2.0 turn out pretty good results on a surface that has minimal swirls, cobwebs, etc, or simply for a person with a car that has some defects but really doesn't care or want to spend the extra for an additional "polish" step?

2. Does NXT 2.0 apply and come off easily when working by hand?

3. What is the optimal drying time for NXT 2.0 in temperatures around 55-60 (early spring)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: A few questions about NXT Tech Wax 2.0

1. Well, it would turn out good. Depends on what the finish is like, if a cleaner/wax would be the better choice.

A Cleaner/Wax followed by Nxt is a general procedure for daily drivers.

2. Yeah, I mean you have to use it right, applying thin coats. And of course the better the condition of the surface (clay, clean, etc), the easier it will go. Kind of relates to your first question.

3. If it isnt real damp, and you applied thin, 15-20 minutes should do it. But you should check by swiping it before removing everything.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Washing, claying and then waxing will yield fine results as long as you are sure to do each step properly. I recommend a 2 bucket wash to minimize swirling and then making sure to do a complete clay job. Do not skimp on this part because it is one of the most important as it allows the paint to shine at its fullest potential. NXT 2.0 is a wax I have only used once and from my experience, if you apply a nice thin coat then it wipes of effortlessly. It could take up to 15 minutes for the wax to cure. To be sure, perform the swipe test. If you rub your finger along the wax (just a quick swipe, not a long line) and you reveal a shiny coat of paint then the wax is ready for removal, but if the wax merely smudges then you need to wait longer before removal. I think the best surface temperature to apply the wax is from 60-80 degrees. NXT 2.0 should do an excellent job of hiding almost all of the swirling. I just used a bit of it today and it worked great. Good luck.

EDIT: If anything I said goes against what Murr1525 then fllow his advice as he has way more detailing experience than i do.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

There was a post on another forum of a member who did half of his car hood with Megs Nxt 2.0. The car was black and had a fair amount of swirls. He posted some pics and the filling capability of NXT 2.0 was pretty impressive. 90% of the swirls were hidden on the part of the hood he used the megs wax on. I'm sure that claying would clean out the swirls so that the fillers in nxt 2.0 would be even more effective.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I have used Cleaner/Wax a few times and really love it but it is made to be thoroughly rubbed in before drying and since I work by hand, it is quite hard work, especially on an SUV or big car. Plus, I'm not getting paid enough to do all that work and it never even be noticed.

As an example, I just yesterday agreed to do a friends 2003 Ford Focus (small 2 door). I will vacuum and use Interior Detailer inside and wash, clay, and wax all for $40 or $50! I feel raped lol. I'll probably end up doing a Hyundai Sonata and Mercedes ML350 for around the same price

Anyway, I was also wondering how far one bottle of liquid NXT 2.0 goes?

Comment

oh boy..being that you should apply a wax very thin...specially NXT 2.0. and by thin i mean pour a very small amount onto your pad. work it in..once you start seeing that you need more wax apply a very small amount again..it takes VERY little wax to do a whole car..id honestly say, if used correctly, a bottle of the liquid wax should last you 20-30 cars
            Addicted

Comment

^ +1

Most folks have no idea how thin a layer of wax is actually left on the car, almost all the applied wax is wiped off.

"FinstP" did detailed scientific measurements in applying and layering wax and reported the results in "DetailingWorld"
              http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127943. Many posts/pages of tests, results, and discussions, give it a read.

The quick summary is that regardless of how many coats of wax are applied, simply buffing quickly resulted in a consistent 5.6nm layer of final wax coating. Note that 10 nanometres (nm) is 1/100th of a micron. One micron is roughly 1/80th of the thickness of a human hair, so 10nm is roughly 1/800th of the thickness of a human hair.

It is truly amazing how thin a layer is actually left (pay attention when Meguiars says to apply a THIN coat), but what wonders it provides.
              2010 XRS

Comment

"A little goes a long way!"

Comment

Thanks again for all the help guys. I know I have a problem with using too much wax so I'm really going to try to apply the thinnest coat possible. I can't wait to use NXT 2.0 soon!

Comment

Originally posted by searle View Post
                    ^ +1

Most folks have no idea how thin a layer of wax is actually left on the car, almost all the applied wax is wiped off.

"FinstP" did detailed scientific measurements in applying and layering wax and reported the results in "DetailingWorld"
                    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127943. Many posts/pages of tests, results, and discussions, give it a read.

The quick summary is that regardless of how many coats of wax are applied, simply buffing quickly resulted in a consistent 5.6nm layer of final wax coating. Note that 10 nanometres (nm) is 1/100th of a micron. One micron is roughly 1/80th of the thickness of a human hair, so 10nm is roughly 1/800th of the thickness of a human hair.

It is truly amazing how thin a layer is actually left (pay attention when Meguiars says to apply a THIN coat), but what wonders it provides.
                    It's always nice to see someone give a quantitative response to such a question. Instead of "thin coat" you've listed actual dimensions. definitely opened up my eyes a little more!
                    -----

Comment

Originally posted by majeiks View Post
                      It's always nice to see someone give a quantitative response to such a question. Instead of "thin coat" you've listed actual dimensions. definitely opened up my eyes a little more!
                      I agree. Searle's post was very interesting!

Comment

What do you think about two thin coats of the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 followed by one thin coat of Gold Class Carnauba Plus?
                        Will the Gold Class be noticed or is it a waste of time?

Comment

Originally posted by delig8 View Post
                          What do you think about two thin coats of the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 followed by one thin coat of Gold Class Carnauba Plus?
                          Will the Gold Class be noticed or is it a waste of time?
                          personally I always do NXT2 as base coat, then some carnuba as the top-coat. I use #26, but GC should be fine.

I like the slightly warmer/deeper look of carnuba vs the shiny/reflective look of sealant.
                          2010 XRS

Comment

Two coats of the NXT is always a good idea as this assures a complete coverage.......Try the GC or 26 on one panel and decide what look you prefer

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');