• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removal of wax on black plastic trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of wax on black plastic trim?

I got a little carried away while waxing my truck and got some of the stuff on the black plastic trim around the bumpers, door handles, etc. The wax seems to be embedded in the plastic texture. What's a good way to remove the wax and restore the plastic?

Re: Removal of wax on black plastic trim?

If the areas are small a pink eraser like the kids use in school will remove it. Just lightly rub like you are trying to erase pencil marks. Small amount of peanut butter rubbed over the area followed by APC, etc works sometimes. There are commercial products that look like a bottle of liquid shoe polish with the built in applicator that work. M39 with lots of passion followed by M39 works well also. As you figured out it always better to avoid getting the wax on in the first place by proper taping rather than the cleanup detail. Unfortunately, still happens to the best of us.

Comment

http://http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-cleaner.html

Comment

M39. You can also use plastic polish (seems to work very well for some reason and no harm to the trim).

Comment

I don't have much plastic trim (just around my windshield and mud flaps), but I love the Gold Class Trim Detailer. It helps moisturize the plastic and clean up any spots like dried up wax. Here is the link: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G10810

I have even seen it available at some parts store as well, plus it isn't too expensive on ADS as well.
          "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like there are plenty of solutions.

Comment

I agree with Deaner5. GC Trim Detailer does an excellent job of removing dried wax from trims.

Comment

I have experienced that Trim Detailer does not remove wax but it hides the spots .
                A sure way to remove wax from trims and plastics is to apply some smooth peanutbutter (the kind without bits of peanuts!) and rub that in with some passion for a minute or 2.
                Then clean it off with a rag and some soapy water and then apply Trim Detailer .
                Sounds pretty weird and is a bit of a messy job but it works every time !!

Comment

i remember reading somewhere that a pencil eraser gets rid of all dried wax residue on trim...well when i was a noob i got a lot of cleaner wax on the trim and i could never get it off..i even tried goof off and that didnt work !!! i eventually found that advice on ehre about the pencil eraser. i went and tried it..and WOW does it work. almost no effort, just erase the residue as if it were a pencil mark..and it never harmed the trim. i just had to go over the trim with QD to get the eraser residue off.
                  Addicted

Comment

Pencil eraser works best for me. I have also read a lot of people having success using peanut butter.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Caeful with the peanut butter. I used this method and while it got the wax off, it left my trim trim spotted a bit. I think I didn't quite get all the PB off even though the surface looked clean. I ended up swaping dry wax stains for peanut butter stains.

If I were to use this technique again, I would get peanut oil and apply it with a Q tip. This would avoid all the sugar and other stuff in the PB. The oil is what is going to break down the wax anyway.

Comment

okay to some pics for you guys about the whole pencil eraser method...its really simple..just erase the wax residue as you would your pencil marks on a piece of paper !

i waxed my laptop and purposely got some on the black plastic it has at the end to it could dry there and i would need to remove it so i could show this demonstration..

Addicted

Comment

Don't use any solvent based cleaners on the trim because the color will fade.
                          Try an all purpose cleaner and a stiff brush.If you have access to a hot water pressure washer try blasting it off.

Comment

Originally posted by William_F View Post
                            Caeful with the peanut butter. I used this method and while it got the wax off, it left my trim trim spotted a bit. I think I didn't quite get all the PB off even though the surface looked clean. I ended up swaping dry wax stains for peanut butter stains.

If I were to use this technique again, I would get peanut oil and apply it with a Q tip. This would avoid all the sugar and other stuff in the PB. The oil is what is going to break down the wax anyway.
                            I never had this kind of problem with peanutbutter staining the trim !
                            Perhaps that over here in Europe peanutbutter does not contain much sugar or additives .

Comment

I just tried some Ultimate Protectant from Saturday open garage, I have to say that it is *amazing* at not only removing wax but darkening the trim!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');