• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal/M07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal/M07

Hello

I have a 1985 Porsche 928 that I purchased used and needed a detail job. It is a repaint, single stage black. I rotary polished it with Optimum Hyper Compound, orbital with Optimum Polish, followed by Meguiers #7 and Deep Crystal carnauba. Looked amazing after I finished it, but once the surface got hot, the reflections went all blotchy. I stripped it again with an orbital and just used the Deep Crystal, thinking the #7 was causing the problem. WRONG same thing happened again. When the surface is hot I can smudge the surface with my finger and leave a mark with my fingernail.

Ist pic was when it was first finished, other 2 are reflections after it was heated up.

Re: HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal 3

I'm not seeing the pics. I'm thinking it was not completely removed?
    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
    Calais Auto Detailing
    CalaisDetails@aim.com
    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Hmm I can see them, I wonder what is wrong?

Originally posted by Calais View Post
      I'm not seeing the pics. I'm thinking it was not completely removed?

Comment

In my experiences with #7 it tends to get smeary like that if it's not completely buffed off before applying LSP. I like using Ultimate Wipes for removing #7, seems to grab it better.
        Alex C.

Comment

Re: HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal

I can't see the pics either.
          Alex C.

Comment

Re: HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal

Hopefully this works

Comment

Re: HELP! Having issues with Deep Crystal/M07

Sounds normal to me. If you touch it, you'll smear the wax with the oils from your fingers.

Unless that's not the issue, then I'd guess you did not wipe off everything after. Try a fresh new microfiber cloth or ultimate wipe.

You're doing this in the shade, right? Not in sunlight?

And the surface is cool to the touch

Comment

Cosmo, check out the replies in this thread, Tim's and Todd's: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34798

It is likely either (1) you applied the wax too thick, (2) you did not allow it to dry sufficiently before removing, or (3) both.

What may be happening is that the sun is causing the wax to "sweat," that is to say, it is causing the excessive and unremoved oils to evaporate. Have you tried wiping down the surface with a quick detailer and a good microfiber towel?
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Honestly, I find hot temperatures is a pita to work with in general. Even some boutique waxes that I've used, tend to sweat when the heat rises. Even NXT, M21, etc. etc. will sweat in high temperatures.

For that, I think it's extremely important to do the prep work as good as possible before applying an LSP. That includes washing it again after polishing to get rid of all the dust, cleaning the paint with diluted IPA to remove any remaining polishing oils, and then apply as thin as possible the LSP.
                  2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                  2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Have you tried doing a traditional car wash? I would suggest washing the car like you normally would and then re-inspect. It may remove any excess oils.

Comment

I have tried everything to get rid of the cloudy paint, claybar, traditional wash, cleaner wax. The only thing that will touch it is a mild compound. Application both times was a thin coat with an orbital in the garage. I may have not let it dry enough. It looked like it had hazed enough, but maybe not?

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
                        I have tried everything to get rid of the cloudy paint, claybar, traditional wash, cleaner wax. The only thing that will touch it is a mild compound. Application both times was a thin coat with an orbital in the garage. I may have not let it dry enough. It looked like it had hazed enough, but maybe not?
                        Ok, I have a hunch, but it contradicts some of what you posted.

Just to be clear (excuse the pun), do you get black paint on your pads when you compound or polish the car?

Also, when you swipe your finger across the surface when it is cool to the touch does it have any effect on the haze? If so, what exactly happens?

Comment

Car has single stage paint and pads do come out black, no clear coat.

Another important thing I noticed was the area that was covered by my nose bra is completely unaffected.

Once surface has cooled I cannot affect the haze, only when it is hot.

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                          Ok, I have a hunch, but it contradicts some of what you posted.

Just to be clear (excuse the pun), do you get black paint on your pads when you compound or polish the car?

Also, when you swipe your finger across the surface when it is cool to the touch does it have any effect on the haze? If so, what exactly happens?

Comment

Well, I'm stumped.

The last picture you posted looks like a severely oxidized and failing clear coat to me, but it's hard to tell in the lighting/picture.

If the area under the bra is fine, then it would make sense the problem is stemming from the paint. Maybe the areas that were exposed still have more dead, oxidized paint and it was only temporarily cured/covered from the detail.

Also keep in mind that although you do not have a clear coat to burn through, color coats don't last forever either. It is technically possible to get into the base coat/primer as well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have some paint beyond repair without a fresh coat [of paint].

Has anyone else seen/heard of something like this on a single stage?

Comment

Working on fixing the paint now, I have some Optimum polish 2, and using pads by hand and some good rubbing the bad haze and reflections are going away and I am getting it back to looking good again. I think I didn't leave the wax on long enough and taking it off early has caused this to happen. When I am done the cleaning stage, I am going with the M07 and I bought some NXT 2.0 paste that I am going to top it with. I am going to do it by hand, nice and slow and I will report back as to how it holds up.

What really has me scratching my head is the bra. Pulled it back and you could see a line and the paint covered by the bra looked like the day I waxed it. Perhaps the vinyl insulated the metal from getting hot, I am sure the paint under the bra didn't get nearly as hot as the black paint sitting in the sunlight. The areas like the roof and hood are the worst, the sides, a little bit and the plastic areas like the front and rear bumpers and side moldings are fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');