• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug removal and touch free carwash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug removal and touch free carwash

In between hand-washings and full details, I usually need to cheat and go through the touch free car wash on my way to work... Will it do any good to get the Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover and spray it on and let it penetrate the bugs prior to driving through the wash?

I am too scared to spray it on and wipe the bugs off since with all of the residual dirt and grime on the hood (swirls, etc.), unless I am doing a full hand wash.

Thanks!

Re: Bug removal and touch free carwash

one thing about touchless wash's that some novice people may not know is that it has to have harsh chemicals to get all that dirt off of the car without touching it. It would be highly recommended to wax soon after your touchless car wash, or hit it with some spray wax to help amp up the protection on your vehicle.
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Unfortunately in life there is no substitute for work, even in the car wash world. As Matt said, the "touch" part of the car wash has been replaced with a chemical that will remove the dirt from the surface of the vehicle. You can rest assured that this chemical will have a much more powerful composition than a regular car wash solution.

If you were to maintain the finish daily with a product like UQD, and you hit the bugs first as you suggested, using a high quality MF towel, I would think you will be safe and free of swirls. I've witnessed lots of evidence on MOL of vehicles maintained with QD/UQD and having no ill effects.

As an option to this, what about having a small bucket and some rinselss car wash with a couple good towels in your trunk that you could use to remove the bugs during your lunch hour or after you get home from work. You could probably even premix the solution in a sprayer and have enough to last a couple of days without the hastle of the bucket.

Comment

Sure, you could use the GC Bug & Tar Remover as you described. But i'm with these guys. I'd rather use a QD to clean rather than going through a touchless wash. I use a duster to pick up the most of it, than go back with a QD. Doing it this way seems to prolong the life of my mf's, as i demote them once they look dirty after a machine wash.
        Alex C.

Comment

I remember reading where someone suggested the method to roll the MF away from the paint as your moving it across, which helps keep the debris in the MF and off the paint. You will probably go through three MF in the process, but much better results and easier on the protectant on your vehicle.

I know what you mean by doing it before work... I tend to get up one day a week an hour earlier just to do this to my car and my wife's.
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

If you are using Gold Class bug and Tar remover, I thought you had to re-wax the area were it was applied. So if my thinking is correct. You would be driving around after your touchless wash with unwaxed areas with no protection on the paint.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I imagine the chemicals they put in the touchless systems would also strip the wax. But then again, i have zero experience with touchless car washes. All i do know for sure is that i stay away from them. I guess that gives me another reason.....
              Alex C.

Comment

I'd like to add my .02 cents worth on this subject as I have used touchless car washes because at times I have no other means of washing my vehicle where I live (condo complex, washing of cars prohibited).

Regardless of the chemicals used in these touchless washes, the car may appear clean, but it is not. I was able to prove this to myself in two different ways:

1. When I dried it, my MF's were getting dirty.
                2. When I tried to apply Quick Wax, the applicator turned black.

Now, I know this may not be news to any of you, but as suggested, if you go through a touchless, follow up with a cleaning of QD or Last Touch to remove all remaining dirt. It's the only way to properly eliminate all contamination on the surface.

Since you already have taken the plunge to go through a touchless, adding a bug and tar remover to the affected areas prior to going through touchless is fine, but understand that wax will be removed. I have sprayed wheel cleaner on my wheels before going through a touchless to get extra cleaning of the wheels.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');