• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaner wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaner wax

Ok,

So I need a good cleaner wax that is effective, and economical. It will be used on customers cars that will not be wanting full correction. Just a good cleaner to remove any minor contamination and preferably some minor swirls too.

So for this reason I am thinking color x.

For cost effectiveness my best bet will be to go with the 64oz jug of M06,

But worked out it is only 11 cents cheaper per 16oz (so I save 44 cents) in comparison with using DC cleaner wax.

But is it more effective?

Or is it worth spending the extra $4 per 16 oz on Color x? If it will be that much more aggressive, then it will save me time and therefore money.

My prime candidate for this will be a customers 2000 WHITE explorer that has not been waxed in years and spends most of its time outside. Customer wants it cleaned up but is not wanting to spend the money on full correction.

I will of course be claying first, and after cleaner wax would still like to top with NXT 2.0/M21, just for added durability and shine.

So to clear things up;

Per 16 oz:

M06 (64oz) 7.38
    DC cleaner wax 7.49
    Color X 9.68
    M06 (16 oz) 11.36

Its a tough toss up as the prices are very close. Just wondering which my best bet will be. Most agressive (time saving) but also versitile (could be used on vehicles that are not severly oxidized without negative effects)

I am just trying to limit the amount of product I need to carry as I am mobile

Mode of application will be either by hand or DA

Re: Cleaner wax

You might want to look at #66, which is similar to ColorX, or D151 as well. D151 would be quite strong.

D151 is said to work better by machine than by hand.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I used 151 for the first time just last night. G110, 9006 pad and went to town on an 08 Mercedes crossover. It didn't take alot of the swirls out, maybe cut it down by 40%, but it really brought the black paint to a good shine, and then when topped with a little bit of UQW, WOW!! I was very happy, and it smells good too!
      Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

I have used both #66 and #151, They are both great. For the application you are suggesting, I would go with the 66. very underrated product.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

FYI: the abrasive ranking of Meguiar's cleaner waxes, from least to most aggressive, according to Mike Phillips:
          • Meguiar's A12 Cleaner/Wax (Consumer Line - Maroon bottle)
          • M20 Polymer Sealant
          • ColorX
          • M06 Cleaner/Wax (ColorX, M06, M66 are all very close, would put M06 and ColorX on the same par, M06 can be applied by rotary, that is the major difference)
          • M66 Quick Detailer
          • D151 PRC
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            You might want to look at #66, which is similar to ColorX, or D151 as well. D151 would be quite strong.

D151 is said to work better by machine than by hand.
            Yeah I think I may just stick with either M06 or colour x as they are readily available and rather inexpensive.

After reading this thread I don't think 151 is what I need:

"Even though it is a powerful all-in-one (much much stronger than the Cleaner Wax), for a person just wanting a light cleaning with wax protection, there are more suitable choices like ColorX, Meg's Cleaner Wax and Meg's M06 Cleaner Wax. Any of these will clean the paint and leave a beautiful protective finish behind. But with D151 and the new abrasives, it is geared more towards, IMO, the person who has paint with moderate swirling/marring and will most likely be using a machine for application."

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyRock-a-roller View Post

My prime candidate for this will be a customers 2000 WHITE explorer that has not been waxed in years and spends most of its time outside. Customer wants it cleaned up but is not wanting to spend the money on full correction.
              For something like the above, you want to wash the car really well, get it Spic & Span Clean to start with then clay the paint to smooth perfection and then use ColorX.

When using a cleaner/wax on a neglected surface you want to work small sections at a time, about a foot squared. The reason for this is you really want to focus the cleaning power uniformly over the area being worked to maximize the cleaning of the paint which will result in a clear, smooth glossy finish, which is what you want for a one-step detail and it's also what your customer whats.

Are you working by hand or machine?

p.s.

If you're detailing cars for a business, part time or full time, then instead of purchasing ColorX (a 16 ounce bottle), invest in either a gallon of M66 or D151 instead as you can continue using the product on future one-step detail jobs. If this is a one-time detail, then stick with the 16 ounce bottle of ColorX.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                For something like the above, you want to wash the car really well, get it Spic & Span Clean to start with then clay the paint to smooth perfection and then use ColorX.

When using a cleaner/wax on a neglected surface you want to work small sections at a time, about a foot squared. The reason for this is you really want to focus the cleaning power uniformly over the area being worked to maximize the cleaning of the paint which will result in a clear, smooth glossy finish, which is what you want for a one-step detail and it's also what your customer whats.

Are you working by hand or machine?

p.s.

If you're detailing cars for a business, part time or full time, then instead of purchasing ColorX (a 16 ounce bottle), invest in either a gallon of M66 or D151 instead as you can continue using the product on future one-step detail jobs. If this is a one-time detail, then stick with the 16 ounce bottle of ColorX.
                Thanks for the input Mike!

Yeah that was the plan. As far as machine or hand, I'm not really sure. Was probably gonna go the machine route just to save time and effort. (though I do like working by hand when I can. I almost allways apply LSP by hand, but some vehicles open it up to machine application.) What pad would you use with those products? A finishing pad? (I currently use LC pads) Or a light cutting pad? (white)

Yeah, I am just getting the buisiness up and running and trying to get things streamlined with various Meguiars products.

As for whether its a one time thing, I doubt it. Most people are probably gonna spring for this type of simple service around here.

I MAY opt for some M66, but seeing as It's been 6 weeks and I still havn't seen my shipment from Meguiars (despite the fact I was told one week and it would be here) I may just have to stick with Colour X. I can't keep waiting on products like this.

Thanks again for all the input!

Comment

BUMP!

So if I was gonna apply colour X by DA (can I? bottle suggests hand application only but I assume thats because its a consumer product and 95% of people don't own a DA) which pad would I use? a light cutting pad or a finishing pad?

May try it out today...

I have a prime candidate for use as before and after pics for my website.

Also have another perfect candidate line up for full correction using 105/205

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyRock-a-roller View Post
                    BUMP!

So if I was gonna apply colour X by DA (can I? bottle suggests hand application only but I assume thats because its a consumer product and 95% of people don't own a DA) which pad would I use? a light cutting pad or a finishing pad?
                    If you want to take advantage of ColorX's abrasive/cleansing properties, use the Meguiar's yellow polishing pad or the non-Meguiar's pad equivalent at speed 5.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Thats what I thought.

Thanks!

I'm off now to see what I can do....

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');