• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch--Product Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch--Product Advice

I have a rather long scratch on my Honda Accord that I have used my old bottle of ScratchX 1.0 on with no luck. It is somewhat deep, enough that my fingernail will catch the scratch. Is there anything else I can try? Would either ScratchX 2.0 or the Ultimate Compound possibly work better?

Re: Scratch--Product Advice

It is likely the best yo uwill do is improve the scratch, not remove it completely.

That said, yes, the ScratchX 2.0 and the UC will be stronger. I would not go crazy with UC trying to remove it, you might remove too much paint .

You can also try to work back and forth across the scratch to cut down the edges.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Since this was your first post,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Matt's correct. All of our new swirl and scratch removers are more aggressive than ScratchX 1.0

Yet, you can control how much paint you remove by not rubbing as much, as long or as hard, do you have great control.

Problem is clear coat paints are pretty thin so like Matt said, you'll probably be better to try to improve the scratch, not completely try to remove the scratch.

Remember to apply wax after you're done using the compound or paint cleaner.

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Since we introduced these 3 new swirl and scratch removers in our Consumer Line and our new M205 Ultra Finishing Polish in our Professional line, many people have asked how aggressive these new products are as compared to some of our existing products that our forum members are already familiar with to help them understand the cleaning and/or abrading ability of these new products I've listed them in order of most aggressive to least aggressive reading from left to right.

(Apologies ahead of time if you have to horizontal scroll)

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

That would be from most to least aggressive,
      • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
      • Ultimate Compound
      • ScratchX 2.0
      • SwirlX
      • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
      • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
      • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I am in a similar dilemma to the OP. I have a car that has several scratches on it, and I purchased a bottle of M105.

Will you be applying your next choice by hand? If you are going to be using Scratchx 2.0 by hand, you need to be patient and work it in 2-3 times. If you go with something more aggressive like M105, again put passion behind the pad and be patient. Today I tried the M105, but I don't think I was applying enough pressure and didn't apply more than 2 times. I was also getting marring afterward, so I need to devote more time and patience in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');