• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT and Gold Class (Layering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT and Gold Class (Layering)

I know there is kind of a debate as to the effects/benefits of layering throughout MOL and eslewhere. I have usually toped my coat of Cleaner Wax with a coat of Gold Class and loved the results. But based on alot of the reviews of the NXT 2.0 I decided to give that a try and surprise I liked that quite a bit also.

My question is has anyone top coated NXT with another wax? If so which ones and how where the results? I have read a lot of posts where people have decided to use two coats of NXT, which as the FAQs state leads to a more uniform coverage. But I was wondering the dry times between coats especially if you use another product like Gold Class over it. I usually gave the Cleaner Wax 12 hours before top coating.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Re: NXT and Gold Class (Layering)

One of the pluses of NXT 2.0 is the hydrophobic properties. IMHO I would apply your choice of wax, cleaner wax, or Gold Class then top it off with the NXT 2.0.

When I first started with Meguiars, I would do the cleaner wax, Gold Class combo. Now I switch between #66 #151 then apply #21 2.0 as my lsp.

Or if you wanted you could in the future apply 2 coats of NXT 2.0. Your choice. You have to decide on what looks good to you.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by topcat View Post
      My question is has anyone top coated NXT with another wax? If so which ones and how where the results?
      Topping NXT with M26 is a popular combo. M26 does not have cleaners and therefore will not remove the previously applied and cured layer of NXT.

12 hours has been stated on this forum to be the optimal time to wait before applying the second coat: How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax? Of course, professionals do not have such time available to them, and so they apply the second coat whenever it is convenient.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

I used to top NXT with Gold Class, but decided to go back to just layering the gold class (more to be sure I have proper coverage than for any other benefit). I have a darker, metallic color, and found this combo less effective on a yellow daily driver. When I did top the NXT with the GC, I gave the NXT 24 hours to cure, then put on a coat of GC. I like the Gold Class better than the NXT on my darker car and the NXT better than the GC on the lighter (yellow) car.

Comment

I used to play around with waxes and top NXT with M26 or GC but in the end i realized i was kinda missing out on the hydrophobic Polymer technology and plus NXt alone looks great
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I don't worry about losing hydrophobic technology if layering, because I usually use UQD several times a week, that puts that technology back on it, eventually.

I have tried nxt 2 followed with GC. It looks fine, but hard to say if better, also I wonder something like GC may actually remove from the NXT as well, since it has mild cleaners in GC.

NXT topped with #26 is in theory, it seems, a decent idea since the #26 would possibly be less likely to remove the nxt, but who knows. I agree that GC and #26 probably look the best on a dark car, actually I like them on all cars, but I do like the durability of NXT.

Try it out, see what you think.

Another option, that I do a lot: When you did a big complete detail, say I did one of my cars last weekend and put two coats of NXT. This weekend I might put a coat of #26, or Gold Class, or #16, or Ultimate Quick Wax on top, after I wash or quick detail. This gives me a chance to try another wax, keep a fresh coat of wax on, etc.

So basically, if you do'nt want to try 2 waxes right away, you could always just put 2 layers of same wax, and then in a couple weeks, when you wash your car, touch it up with a different wax (this can be done very quickly), so there are many ways to try out other waxes.

Comment

I have topped NXT and 21 with GC and 26. In my eyes it did look a little different. I don't do it all the time. However this is up to the individual and the results you are trying to acheive.
              Multiple layers for me is to ensure full even coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
                I don't worry about losing hydrophobic technology if layering
                I don't worry about losing the hydrophobic technology either, as beading is one of those cosmetic features that isn't important to me personally. What is most important to me is the "look." Don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching the the movement of the beads on my hood when I'm driving. It's quite mesmerizing. But that's the problem. I really should be looking at other things--like other cars, telephone poles, stop signs, children playing in the street. Hydrophobic technology is a threat to us all!
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

i really like Hydrophobic Polymer Technology and if there wasnt a Tech Wax then i would be using Gold Class
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Obviously it will be a trial and error thing to see if I like the results of NXT and GC versus the Cleaner and GC combo. I am hoping to give it a shot in the next couple of weeks as it is finally supposed to be above freezing.

Thanks again...

Comment

If you want to layer, play with an M20 base and M21 2.0/NXT 2.0 top layer. Then maintain with UQD/M135 between washes, and UQW immediately following the wash.

That's what I do, and water actually picks itself up and RUNS away from my car now

Comment

how many layers would you people prefer to make a perfect look on a silver metallic car? is 2 layers of NXT 2.0 enough ?
                        Ganesa,
                        Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Ganesa, see: What's the deal with "Layering?"
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

ok thanks akimel..
                            Ganesa,
                            Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
                              how many layers would you people prefer to make a perfect look on a silver metallic car? is 2 layers of NXT 2.0 enough ?
                              I say do your 2 layers often enough that it always has a nice fairly fresh coat of wax. That's what will truly make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');