• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Scratch X 2.0 and this was the outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Scratch X 2.0 and this was the outcome

Used ScratchX 2.0 and this was the outcome

Used the product for swirl mark removal and this was the outcome....did i do something wrong.......

Re: Used Scratch X 2.0 and this was the outcome

Did you use it by hand or machine?
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I think you might not have worked it enough.
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

We need a little more information.

What did you use to work ScratchX into the paint?

What temperature was it outside?

How did you work it in?

Ryan
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Did you wash first? What type of applicator did you use?
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
            We need a little more information.

What did you use to work ScratchX into the paint?

What temperature was it outside?

How did you work it in?

Ryan

Comment

It looks like the product hasnt been worked in fully. You may have to do a few passes. And if you want to get rid of swirls then you should try SwirlX.

Comment

Definitely looks like you worked by hand, and possibly in the sun if I had to guess?

It looks like there was too much pressure at just your finger tips, and that you were pressing hard as it came to a stop as you changed directions. You used straight motions mostly?

Kind of hard to see because the pictures are really tiny. Any chance you can get them a little bigger?

Just don't stress- there is a solution to this, we just need to figure out where things went wrong.

Comment

Looks like it wasn't applied thoroughly or evenly. Also, ScratchX isn't the last step that determines the end result, after ScratchX cleans the paint you then apply a wax or paint sealant.

Just like you wouldn't normally compound a car and call it good, you don't use a paint cleaner and call it done.

Try this,

Reapply ScratchX using a clean, foam applicator pad. Use anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of product and work a section about a foot squared for about a minute and then wipe the product off.

Now move on to the next section and repeat this and be sure to overlap a little into the previous section so each square inch of paint gets thoroughly worked with the ScratchX. Again, after working each section, immediately wipe off the residue with a clean microfiber polishing cloth.

See this article,
                  Which products need to dry before removing?

After you finish whichever panel it is you're working on, apply a coat of your favorite wax or paint sealant. If it's a Meguiar's wax or paint sealant then you want to let it fully dry before wiping it off.

The Swipe Test

After it dries and you wipe off the excess residue, now your panel is cleaned and protected. Now inspect how the paint looks.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Am I wrong in thinking that the old 1.0 scratch X is for hand use only, while the new 2.0 can be used with a PC as well as by hand?

I used the buy one get one free from another site on closeout of the old scratchX so I am hoping I can use that on a PC as well.
                    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                    2005 Honda CRF250R
                    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Originally posted by 02zx9r View Post

Am I wrong in thinking that the old 1.0 scratch X is for hand use only, while the new 2.0 can be used with a PC as well as by hand?
                      There was a version of ScratchX years ago that was hand only. Simply read the back label for the application directions and it will tell you how the product can be used. Also the DA version has a sunburst on the front label where it actually states it can be applied by hand or with a DA Polisher.

I used the buy one get one free from another site on closeout of the old ScratchX so I am hoping I can use that on a PC as well.
                      Just check the label and you'll know which one you have. Even if you have the older, non-machine version, you can still use it by machine but wipe-off can be hard if the product gets warm as this tends to make it gummy or sticky. If that's the case you can use a quick detailer to help wipe off the residue or hand apply some ScratchX to the affected area and while it's still real wet wipe if off immediately.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here is a shot of the burst on the label Mike is referring to..

The burst says...New & Improved - Use by hand or with a DA!

Mike Pennington
                        Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                        Meguiar's, Inc.
                        800-854-8073
                        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Definately an easy fix with the same product. Looks as if you used a paper towel or kitchen rag to apply it. If not, perhaps dirt managed to sneak in.

Comment

Thanks Mike & Mike.

I went to Walmart, Autozone and AAP today looking for the new scratch x and ultimate compound but only found the older scratchx and it does say on the back that it can be used on a DA. Knew I should have went and looked before I posted the question.

Thanks for the reply though
                            2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                            2005 Honda CRF250R
                            2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Thanks Mike & Mike.

I went to Walmart, Autozone and AAP today looking for the new scratch x and ultimate compound but only found the older scratchx and it does say on the back that it can be used on a DA.
                              Since these are brand new products it will take some time to circulate through the distribution pipelines and even after it gets to any store it's usually rotated onto the shelf via FIFO, First In, First Out.

Another thing about traditional retails distribution is in some case stores don't update the car care products aisle until we get closer to spring and the sunny weather returns.

Generically, Memorial Day Weekend is the beginning of the car washing and waxing season, at least here in the United States.

ScratchX 1.0 if properly applied by hand or machine should restore a clear, uniform appearance to the door and the rest of the car. After which you still need to apply a coat of wax.

Maybe just for fun, take a section on the hood or door or any panel that needs some help and tape off a small section about a foot squared and apply ScratchX to this section like recommended above and then apply some wax to the section, and then after letting it dry and wiping off the excess residue, remove the tape and then inspect the area you worked on as compared to the rest of the paint on the panel.

It should look better, in some cases... dramatically better.

The important thing though is to check your results before going over the entire car. Lets see you through to success on one small area before tackling the entire car.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');