• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Scratch X 2.0 and this was the outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used Scratch X 2.0 and this was the outcome

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I applied the product in the shade. Used it to remove swirl marks that i had applied by washing the car. I used the wax applicator that Meguiar's Gold Class brought. This was done right after I washed the car and dried it with a shammy. It is brand new black metallic paint on a C300. It created more swirl marks. Applied a coat of wax on it and it got better.....still the swirl marks and little holograms are there....now what?.......these are bigger pics.....will post the after.....

Comment

This How-to was written for the original ScratchX but still applies:

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

The key is to work in small sections and compare your results before doing the entire car. Do a small section then move your car out of the shade. Compare to make sure the technique you are using is effective.

Comment

The problems look like finger marks which are from the pressure from your fingers pushing through your applicator pad.

Just to note, clear coat paints are delicate in that they scratch very easily and the scratches show up SUPER easy to your eyes especially when the color coat is black or a dark color.

You can't apply any product sloppily or haphazardly especially when using a paint cleaner or a compound to do the cleaning step. You have to massage the product over the paint in a very focused manner, working small sections at at time and then when doing a new section, overlapping your passes into the previous section.

For example one single door would be broken up into anywhere from 4 to 9 sections and you would apply fresh product for each section and work each section for about a minute if you're good at this, that is if you have good technique and you're doing a great job of using your hand to hold the pad and work the product.

Polishing paint is an art form, not merely a mechanical process, it takes the right product for the job and applying it in a focused and purposeful manner as well as the human elements of care of care and passion.

Check out this thread...

Finger Marks

Finger Marks are a type of scratch pattern imprinted into the paint by your fingertips, (pressure points), at the stop and start points when you're applying too aggressive of a product by hand.

An example would be if you're using an abrasive product like an old-fashioned rubbing compound and rubbing it back and forth on your car's paint. At the end of your stroke, for a brief moment your fingers stop as you change direction of your hand to go the other direction.

It is at these stop points that your finger pressure, together with the product and the applicator, will leave Finger Marks in the paint.

You can also get Finger Marks rubbing in circles by hand with too aggressive of a product on clear coat paints. The direction you move your hand doesn't matter its when you pause or stop your hand and for a brief moment the pressure and abrasives imprint the marks into the paint.

These are extreme Finger Marks

Did it take you an hour or two when you applied and worked the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner over the entire car?

Or less than an hour?

To do a great job of rubbing that car out by hand with a paint cleaner where the goal was to remove swirls, I'm going to guess it would take me 2-3 hours.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The below are two 800 pixel wide sections cropped out of the original with the second photo showing circles around the fingermarks.

Here's Extreme Finger marks see some similarities?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just so you know, each forum member gets their own gallery here on the forum, when you're logged in just click on the word Gallery in the gold navigation bar at the top of any page it it will take you to your gallery.

The hosting company you're using takes our members to advertising before showing one of your photos, which in this case it's not too bad, at least nothing inappropriate but we do have to check these things out to keep all our forum members and their family members from seeing inappropriate websites thus one of the reasons we provide each member with gallery space for photos. Of course you have to resize them to about a max of 800 pixels wide for good forum netiquette and to be good stewards of our company resources.

Here's the ad that showed up before the car picture...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

OoOps... sorry about the image host....had no idea....will correct in future posts....Definetly the finger marks are the issue......i love my car and i will work hours on it to keep it perfect.......so do you suggest using the 2.0 to correct the damage?

Comment

You should be able to use the same product but improve your technique.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i will admit i fell victim to using Ultimate Compound improperly but it was a good thing i did it to half a panel, its always good to check your work in the sun, turned out Swirl X was what worked for me anyway

hopefully enough people read the forum and use better technique and then really remove the swirls that were there in the first place, these new products do have the potential to do that too!

Good Luck
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

perhaps you let the scratchX 2.0 to haze... it makes it harder to wipe off as it dries quite quickly, try reapplying, and put some pressure in it to really rub those swirls, and then immediately wipe off with a MF :]
                    CMIIW
                    Ganesa,
                    Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The hosting company you're using takes our members to advertising before showing one of your photos, which in this case it's not too bad, at least nothing inappropriate but we do have to check these things out to keep all our forum members and their family members from seeing inappropriate websites thus one of the reasons we provide each member with gallery space for photos. Of course you have to resize them to about a max of 800 pixels wide for good forum netiquette and to be good stewards of our company resources.

Here's the ad that showed up before the car picture...
                      I wasn't as lucky as you. The ad I got was definetly not family/work firiendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
                        I wasn't as lucky as you. The ad I got was definetly not family/work firiendly.
                        Same here!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');