• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Product - Headlight & Clear Plastic Restoration Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Product - Headlight & Clear Plastic Restoration Kit

Originally posted by mckeand13 View Post
    What is the maximum rpm that should be used with this pad/plastx?

I'm wondering if it would be ok to use this with a die grinder instead of a drill. I think 20,000 rpm might be a problem.

Great questions... here's the skinny....

The industry standard for RPM's for both corded and cordless drills run between 800 rpm and 4,000 rpm.

Die grinders, also called Peanut Grinders spin way to fast for any kind of work on paint or plastic unless you're trying to grind it away.

Meguiar's recommends using a standard corded or cordless drill for best results….

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Great questions... here's the skinny....

The industry standard for RPM's for both corded and cordless drills run between 800 rpm and 4,000 rpm.

Die grinders, also called Peanut Grinders spin way to fast for any kind of work on paint or plastic unless you're trying to grind it away.

Meguiar's recommends using a standard corded or cordless drill for best results….

Just from past experience trying to use a cordless drill to do something similar - DON'T! Use a Corded drill. Main reason is that cordless drills tend to lose power rather quickly and you tend to have to change out the battery pack after doing the area of just one headlight (Grrr!!!)

At any rate, this kit looks like a WONDERFUL idea. I want to try this on my gf's '99 Corolla now. I've used some Plastx and hand worked to get these results, and I want to try the kit to see if it improves it even better..

Here's some results just with hand work:

Before -

After -

Admittedly, they're not of the same exact headlight, but both were in the exact same state as the Before shot, and they both look like the After shot now.

Comment

I showed this thread to my daughter and her boyfriend. My daughter says "dad when are you going to buy it to use on my car"? So I guess I will be nice and get the kit for them. I was already planning on buying it. lol.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Saw it today at Kragen...couldn't justify buying it as I just bought Plast-X and have a DA and access to a rotary.

Neat product though for those without another machine.

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprzout View Post
            Just from past experience trying to use a cordless drill to do something similar - DON'T! Use a Corded drill. Main reason is that cordless drills tend to lose power rather quickly and you tend to have to change out the battery pack after doing the area of just one headlight (Grrr!!!)
            Sound like your using the wrong cordless. I have a Li-Ion Powered Mikita hammer drill that lasts for days and does not self-discharge from non-use.

I'll agree that the older style Nicad Drills are a lesson in frustration!

Ruff

Comment

Nice kit !

Comment

Another great item.
                Last edited by asim_296; Nov 17, 2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

This is awesome. I have PlasticX, but that polishing pad looks useful. Faster results than by using by hand.

Comment

i just ordered my kit today! hope it works as good as it says! lol.
                    budd.

Comment

Last edited by asim_296; Nov 17, 2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I have been using Meguire's products for some time now and appreciate the quality and results. Don't seem to be able to find a lot of these type of "tools" here in Canada. Are there any particular suppliers here that carry a wide range of product?

Comment

Originally posted by larry.mccordick View Post
                          I have been using Meguire's products for some time now and appreciate the quality and results.
                          Since this is your first post, welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by larry.mccordick View Post
                          Don't seem to be able to find a lot of these type of "tools" here in Canada. Are there any particular suppliers here that carry a wide range of product?
                          Some countries, probably most countries, make it more expensive, more complicated and more difficult to import products inside of their borders, that's something outside of Meguiar's control and the problems lies with the government of these countries not to mention the financial toll some countries impose on the above process with taxes, duties, tariffs, etc. Guess that's part of how each country decides to run their economy and both of these topics are outside of the scope of this forum and should be taken up in other venues and will taken up in other venues, not this forum.

Maybe some of our Canadian members will chime in with some locations to check out.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Cool idea! Now, will this work for both plastic and glass headlights?

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
                              Cool idea! Now, will this work for both plastic and glass headlights?
                              Glass is so different than plastic. The answer is "no".

Plastic headlights tend to be soft enough for the average person to sand and then buff by hand or machine so using this new kit on plastic is a given as the plastic is soft enough for the average person to work on.

If you do a search on Glass Polishing or Glass Scratches you'll find every time this question comes up it is explained that glass DOESN'T lend itself well to be abraded with the end result looking good.

Here's a classic thread that explains in detail the idea touched upon above... note how it's so popular or hot that it's a "Sticky" in our Hot Topics forum.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i just recieved my kit today! changed our time here so it's getting dark earlyi'll have to wait for the weekend to try it out.
                                budd.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');