• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX v. ColorX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX v. ColorX

OK, so here's a question:

I understand that for more serious marring and scratches, ScratchX makes the most sense because it is more aggressive in nature than ColorX, but since ColorX ALSO takes out light surface scratches AND contains wax, for those of us with small areas of minor marring, wouldn't it ALWAYS make more sense to just use ColorX? In other words, doesn't the use of ColorX often make the use of ScratchX obsolete? ColorX seems to perform a similar job, AND rewaxes the surface in the process. Shouldn't ColorX be the primary megs recommendation for small surface scratches? I feel like more often than not, it's ScratchX being used by folks for that...

Also, does anyone know what the best size Megs applicator pad for applying ColorX would be? Thanks!

Re: ScratchX v. ColorX

From personal experience, when removing isolated scratches by hand I find ScratchX to be more effective than ColorX. If this was not the case then we would show using ColorX for removing isolated defects like Bird Dropping Etchings at our Saturday classes instead of ColorX.

Another viewpoint is that some people actually like to use dedicated products for dedicated procedures, thus use a paint cleaner to remove a defect, use a polish to maximize gloss and clarity, use a wax for protection.

Using a cleaner/wax to do all three steps will also get you to your goal, it's just personal preference, that's why it's nice that Meguiar's offers these different product categories as they know people are different and take a personal approach to car care.

In the end, as long as you're getting the result you're looking for it's all good!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Understood. Thanks! But given that I seem to constantly be locating minor surface scratches on my brand new black car (i swear it's like playing wack-a-mole--i finish ScratchXing one spot and then find another!), wouldn't I be wiser to just save myself the time and energy of constantly laboring with ScratchX, and wait until I can do a full blown car waxing with ColorX? Theoretically, since the scratches are light, the results should be the same, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by CBLW View Post
        Mike,

wouldn't I be wiser to just save myself the time and energy of constantly laboring with ScratchX, and wait until I can do a full blown car waxing with ColorX?
        Yes, that's the part about personal preference and reaching your goals I mentioned above.

Finding a product and process that works for you and you like, that is you like the way a product works, that includes, wipe-on, wipe-off and results.

See my sig line
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Just one more follow-up: Is ColorX intended to be applied with the same amount of vigor and "passion" as ScratchX? For instance, I would never, ever consider ScratchXing my entire car, as I believe that would take me just short of my entire lifetime. But given that ColorX is also a wax, I just sort of assumed that for the most part, it could be applied like a wax, in a time consuming, but not hand-splintering type of fashion (I would assume that ScratchXing my entire car would leave me in a cast. lol). Can and should Color-X be applied as normal wax would in non-trouble areas, and more intensely where needed, or does it ALWAYS need to be applied as tediously as ScratchX (CRY!)? Thanks!

Comment

I use both products and prefer to use the slightly more aggressive, dedicated ScratchX to remove isolated, glaring imperfections. If I recall correctly ColorX doesn't have enough aggressiveness to remove defects that ScratchX can.

So, if you were to apply ColorX to the entire car in hopes of correcting to the level of ScratchX you would actually have to do MORE work.

In my experience with both products I seem to have more working time with ScratchX than with ColorX.

If you have a lot of correcting to do by hand you can always move up to 105 Ultra Cut Compound

But, it's up to you... try both side-by-side and see which you like more to achieve your desired result.
            Rob A.
            '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
            '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

[quote=RacerX88;249025]In my experience with both products I seem to have more working time with ScratchX than with ColorX.[quote]

Huh? Do you mean that it takes you longer to use ScratchX or ColorX? I'm saying, if one were to use ScratchX over the ENTIRE car, it would take longer than ColorX... I hope! My scratches are minor, so I'm hoping ColorX will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by CBLW View Post
                Mike,

Can and should Color-X be applied as normal wax would in non-trouble areas, and more intensely where needed,

or does it ALWAYS need to be applied as tediously as ScratchX
                The cool thing about a quality cleaner/wax is you can adjust how you apply it to match what you're trying to accomplish with the paint.

For example you could use ColorX on a finish in excellent condition to maintain the finish by applying it gently to the paint.

You could also put some passion behind the pad to remove swirls and scratches.

VAO = Variable Application Options

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks again! Very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');