• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT 2.0 and clay..now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT 2.0 and clay..now what

OK, I clayed my new 2008 Chevy avalanche then applied a coat of NXT 2.0 I did one section at a time, then removed one section at a time. Seems after doing some reading (after the fact) I may have done things wrong? SHould I have covered the whole truck with wax then remove it all? I'm old school so I'm used to apply one section...Dry, remove with a good buffing (hand) Thats what I did with the NXT 2.0. Was the NXT a good choice after the clay bar. The paint is not faded etc..It's only 7 mos old

Also, after the truck was done, it rained or sprinkled a bit and covered the truck. Not enough rain for it to even start to run off. Is this going to be a problem? When can I do another coat? Did the rain or my method ruin the first coat anyway?

Another question, what detailer should I use afterwards? And, how long should I wait after the original wax job should I wait. I swear, it's now like rocket science to wax your car Is the NXT 2.0 needing a Cure time?

Any help would be great. BTW, my arm feels like it's gonna fall off.

Re: NXT 2.0 and clay..now what

anyone?

Comment

I can't answer your question about the waxing for sure. From what I have read though it seems like what you did was just fine. NXT @2.0 is an excellent wax to choose. For the detailer I would have to say Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. This stuff is amazing!! If you want you can watch some videoes on youtube. There are some pretty good ones, pardon the fact that the video is in spanish, but it is really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMBQKeGLsAA
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

A few things...

What you did is fine, provided the wax was dry when you removed it, but you should probably consider using a "cleaning" type product as a part of your process.

There are many links here (look up Ryan's "list 'o links" and you'll see what I mean). Now that you've clayed, depending on the conditions your car will face (daily driver, garage parked etc...), you probably won't need to clay again for a while.

However, since claying removes "surface contaminants" a good paint cleaner (like color X or DC paint cleaner) really preps your paint properly for an lsp (last step product).

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Wash

2. No need to clay unless the surface is not smooth to the touch.

3. Paint cleaner (I'd use color X).

4 Polish (this is a completely optional step) but I think it makes a difference in how "wet" the car looks.

5. LSP (NXT 2.0). Put it on over the entire car, let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes (but possibly longer) depending upon conditions (like humidity). Check it by doing the "swipe test". Remove all the wax. Put car away... come back 12 hours later and put on another coat. Two coats ensures uniform coverage and because you've allowed the first coat of NXT 2.0 to "cure" you can expect the best protection it can provide.

Again, the second coat 12 hours a part is purely optional, but I think it makes a differnce to long term durability.

For maintanance, I'd recommend Ultimate Quick Detailer (UQD). Great product that keeps the "just washed" look and also increases the life of your LSP.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

WOW, Great info.

I went from clay to LSP or NXT 2.0 Looks like I should of used a cleaner first. ughhhh Guess I gotta start over. I didn't use a cleaner because I thought my paint looked real good and a new car and all. No worries..I got time...Just retired I'll start over and

Wash

Cleaner (color X)
          NXT 2.0

woooohoooooo

Comment

Originally posted by lablover View Post
            WOW, Great info.

I went from clay to LSP or NXT 2.0 Looks like I should of used a cleaner first. ughhhh Guess I gotta start over. I didn't use a cleaner because I thought my paint looked real good and a new car and all. No worries..I got time...Just retired I'll start over and

Wash

Cleaner (color X)
            NXT 2.0

woooohoooooo
            If only I win that big jack pot... I'd retire to, until then, I got about 30 years to go!!! LOL

Since you have the time, I'd give it a whirl and start from scratch. I am confident you will be really pleased with the results.

Like you, I am a weekend warrior and have learned a LOT about detailing from our resident pros. There is a ton of info here so keep reading, ask a lot of questions and enjoy your detailing.

I think doing the full monty of detailing can be cumbersome (if you look at washing your car as a chore), but if you take it as a hobby, your opportunity to paint a picasso, then it is much more palatable.

Often, when I do one of my cars, I'll park it on the street in front of my neighbors house, just so I can look at it from my front window. Follow the Meg's approach and I think you'll be amazed at how you will be able to maximize the look of your paint.

What color is the car anyway?

Comment

It's called Blue Granite metallic. So, a medium blue mett...Has lots of shine. I did a test of a small spot with the cleaner and did not noice a big difference. Again, the color is not too dark but it has lots of sparkle

Can I use the color X then go right into the NXT with no wait or cure time?

Comment

It's called Blue Granite metallic. So, a medium blue mett...Has lots of shine. I did a test of a small spot with the cleaner and did not noice a big difference. Again, the color is not too dark but it has lots of sparkle
                I think the differenc you'll find is the cumulative effect of doing all the steps together.

Meaning, I not sure just using some color X is going to make you say "wow, what a huge difference", but when you do it all, the end result will be worth it... but there is more...

The color X is about "cleaning your paint" so that when you put on your LSP you have a clean canvas to be working on. This ensures that your LSP adheres to the paint the way it is intended to do so. Collectively, it is not just about looks, but getting it all to work together.

Don't forget to take some pics when you're done and post them.

Comment

Maybe these pics will help..These are just after the NXT no cleaner etc

Comment

Check these links out too!

List O' Links 2.0

Suggested products for taking care of a new car! - It's an older thread but you'll get the point. Taken from the List O' Links 2.0

How are you applying the products?

There are multitude of products depending on how you apply them (hand, PC/G110/G100 etc) to keep that Avalanche great.

Good that you did clay if it was the first time. New cars come with embedded particles in the paint from overspray in the factory and rail dust from good ol' trains to ship them.

Color X is a great wax but very mild. If you have heavy swirls you may need to go more aggressive. As far as waiting, a lot say to wait 12 hours between wax coats, I've waited an hour then applied next coat. THIN coats is best especially with NXT, too much and you can get smearing.

The list o' links has great threads on all topics, read the swipe test, final wiping techniques etc etc.

and...post some pix of that Avalanche, nice rigs.
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

What you did for a new car is probably fine. You have a great looking car right there. Beautiful job.

I have also been taking care of a new car.

It's all about how much you want to do really. What you did was fine, in my opinion.

In the future, you could clay if needed, then use a cleaner, then use a polish (another optional thing), and then use the wax.

Enjoy taking care of your car. That paint really is nice.

Comment

Avalanche looks great.

Comment

WOW, Great info.

No worries..I got time...Just retired I'll start over and

Wash

Cleaner (color X)
                          NXT 2.0

woooohoooooo
                          Got time??
                          I retired 18 mos ago, but the wife adds to the "honey do" list quicker than I can clear it.

Comment

As Nappers stated; the suggested cure time to wait in ideal settings would be 12 hours. A lot of people here wait about a hour or so. What I like to do is after I finish the first coat of wax, I go on to the interior, vacuum, apply interior dressing, clean the windows etc. By the time all that has been done it is generally okay to go onto the second lsp.

You have a nice looking Avalanche. Congrats.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Indeed, you posted the pix after I said to

Great looking ride
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');