• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with product choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with product choice

I just bought a brand new BMW M3, silver with black interior. I have used a local detail shop but they dropped the buffer on my 2007 Audi Q7. That has been a pain. I will be taking care of my own vehicles from now on. My M3 has aluminum hood, trunk, and doors with plastic fenders and bumpers. Which wax and polish is recommended. Is the best the NXT brand? What about the plastic fenders. Also, for the interior, I do not like the shine of Armour ALL, does Meguiar's have a product that cleans and is a low shine? Please provide any helpful tips. Thanks for anyone help.

Re: Need help with product choice

Since this is your first post... welcome to Meguiar's Online...

Hang on....
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by bhthorn View Post

My M3 has aluminum hood, trunk, and doors with plastic fenders and bumpers. Which wax and polish is recommended.
      Just to point out, it doesn't really matter what the underlying panel is made out of as you'll only be working on the top layer of paint.

Before a recommendation... how does your paint look under bright light, like sunshine? Are there swirls in the paint and if there are do you want to remove them or just prepare the paint for wax and then wax the paint?

Is the best the NXT brand?
      It's our best protecting formula. "Best" is in the opinion of the user.

It is very popular and a strong and loyal following so a lot of people do really like this product.

What about the plastic fenders.
      Are you talking about the underlying material the fender is made out of or decorative trim like black pebble textured plastic trim where a lot of people are looking for a dressing to keep it looking new?

Also, for the interior, I do not like the shine of Armour ALL, does Meguiar's have a product that cleans and is a low shine?
      Natural Shine is one of our vinyl/rubber cleaner, conditioner and protectants that works really well and won't make the surface more shiny that it was when it was new thus the name natural shine...

Natural Shine

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

My M3 is brand new. It was waxed at the dealership. No swirls. It is a silver metallic paint. The bumpers are made of plastic but they are the same color as the car. To start out do I need to remove the wax they put on and how do you do that? I want to get the car detailed correctly from the beginning. Should I clay it for the first time or do I need to wait and do that after the first six months when I put the next cost of wax on it? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

It you are content with the condition of the car (i.e. no swirls, clean paint etc) then you could leave it as is and just maintain the finish with whatever choice of protectants you like. However, if you want to start with a clean slate, wash with Dawn (that WILL strip off any wax or protectant on the vehicle), clay, and reapply protectant (i.e NXT 2.0 etc). Only wash with Dawn if you want to start from scratch, otherwise wash with Gold Class ( does not strip the wax)with a proper mitt (perhaps a 2 bucket method) to eliminate swirling and upkeep as needed.
          Last edited by new2detailing; Jul 29, 2008, 02:18 PM. Reason: added more content

Comment

One thing I forgot. I have a 3M clear bra on the front. My guess is just wash but not wax over the clear bra. What are the best tricks for getting the wax off the edge of the clear bra?

Comment

My M3 is brand new. It was waxed at the dealership. No swirls.

To start out do I need to remove the wax they put on and how do you do that? I want to get the car detailed correctly from the beginning.
              If you want to do what's called get down to a clean or fresh base, that is strip anything off the surface so you can start over or start fresh then instead of using a detergent wash which may or may not be effective, instead rub the paint out with either a light paint cleaner or a light cleaner/polish, for example,

Light Paint Cleaner: Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
              Light Cleaner/Polish: M0916 Swirl Remover 2.0

Either will work great, the Deep Crystal product is usually easier to find.

Take one of these products and apply to a section about a foot or so squared and then after spreading the product out throughly work the product over the paint, not rough like you're scrubbing but with a firm but gentle action.

After working a section for about a minute wipe the excess off and repeat to an adjacent section, be sure you overlap a little into the previous section and repeat this until you've moved all the way around the car. Use a foam or microfiber applicator pad. Wipe off with a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth.

This will clean the paint and leave the clear coat clear and glossy. Detergent washes won't do this.

Should I clay it for the first time or do I need to wait and do that after the first six months when I put the next cost of wax on it? Sorry for all the questions.
              When you clay is determined by your surface evaluation, that is you feel the paint with your clean hand after washing the car so it's clean and feel for little bumps or a texture on the surface, if discovered then clay the paint, if the paint feels smooth and glassy then this is a sign you don't need to clay the paint and can move right to the cleaning step.

One thing I forgot. I have a 3M clear bra on the front. My guess is just wash but not wax over the clear bra. What are the best tricks for getting the wax off the edge of the clear bra?
              Most people actually apply a quality non-abrasive wax to their clear bra as something is usually better than nothing. We've had numerous people on this forum state they use NXT Tech Wax with no problems.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');