• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rust spots in the paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rust spots in the paint?

My 98 Civic has quite a few, very small spots that my mechanic friend is telling me are very small bits of rust. He recommended that I get the Cleaner Wax, and I did use it, but quite frankly I couldn't tell the difference. I still can see plenty of these rust spots, and the surface of the paint still feels rather rough. My questions:

1. Are there specific instructions? The label says to apply to entire car, and then wipe off. Is there a "best" way to apply this product?

2. I also want to apply a wax. Should I do this immediately after I applly the cleaner, or wait a week, or should I wash it after applying the cleaner, before applying the wax?
    Paul

If your paint feels rough, you should use clay. It'll remove rust and anything else bonded onto your paint.

Smooth Surface Clay

There's a FAQ on the page where it links.
    (hope it's ok to link to Meguiar's )

Comment

Cleaner/Wax isnt going to be what you want for a rust spot problem.

But first your questions:

1. Just apply it and work it in some. Then let it dry, and remove.

2. You can use the Cleaner/Wax, the nwait about 20 minutes, then top wih a regular wax of your choice.

Now, what you actualy want to do:

1. Wash - Obviously give it a good wash with a quality wash solution.

2. Clay - This is going to be most important. Get a Smooth Surface Clay kit for yourself, and go over the car with this. You will want to see if this removes the rust permenantly. You cna do a search for how-to clay and see lots of advice on how to do it best.

3. Cleaner/Wax is fine.

4. Top with your regular wax after 20 minutes.

Sometimes clay will remove it permanently, sometimes not. But clay is the least agressive option. The other option involves some acidic chemicals. It does work fine for people, but dont go to acids unless you have to.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

OK I'll go ahead and get the Clay and give it a shot.

Thanks to you both.
        Paul

Comment

Re: Problems with Cleaner Wax

I've used cleaner wax on my outdoor cars/trucks for years. Never seen anything better for what it's intended for. Shine may not equal Gold Class or NXT, but as far as smoothing out the finish without having to polish first, it is unequalled.

Comment

Originally posted by psaulm119 View Post
            OK I'll go ahead and get the Clay and give it a shot.

Thanks to you both.
            Hi Paul,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

When removing metal particles that are causing rust spots in the paint you'll often times have to put a little more passion behind the clay bar as you move it over the paint. Be sure to use plenty of spray lubricant, (Quick Detailer), and spray it onto the paint and the clay when first starting out.

Also, keep a microfiber polishing cloth or 100% cotton terry cloth towel handy to wipe the clay/Quik Detailer residue off the paint after claying a section while moving around the car. This way you won't have to re-wash the car.

As for the right way to use a cleaner/wax, part of the cleaning action of a cleaner wax comes from you.

If that paint has not been cleaned, polished or waxed for even a few months and the car is parked outside and a daily driver, then you want to spend some time thoroughly working the cleaner/wax against and into the paint.

Work a small section at a time, about a foot squared, and then move on to a new section overlapping into the previous section. Go around the entire car like this and then wipe off after the wax has completely dried.

If you're experiencing any kind of difficulty in wiping the dried wax off, then, work panel by panel, that is;
            • Wax the hood,
            • Allow the wax on the hood to dry and then wipe-off the dried wax on the hood.
            • After completing this panel, move on to a fender or door, etc. until you have gone all the way around the car.

In most all cases, the horizontal surfaces will to be clayed, but sometimes the vertical panels could use claying also, and in most all cases the horizontal surfaces will be the most degraded and require the most passion behind the pad as you apply and work the cleaner/wax.
            • Remember wash the car first
            • Work on a cool surface in the shade
            • Shake the cleaner/wax well before using
            • Have an ample number of 100% cotton terry cloth towels or microfiber polishing cloths on hand for wiping the wax off.

Hope this helps...
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Hi Paul,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

As for the right way to use a cleaner/wax, part of the cleaning action of a cleaner wax comes from you.

If that paint has not been cleaned, polished or waxed for even a few months and the car is parked outside and a daily driver, then you want to spend some time thoroughly working the cleaner/wax against and into the paint.
              Thanks for the welcome. I have been a bit hesitant to put too much elbow grease into this, because I was told by the guy who recommended the cleaner wax, that it was an abrasive. But next time I try it, I will use more pressure. I'll also do the same with the cleaner bar--I did purchase it, and after using both it and the cleaner wax again, I still am not too happy with the results.
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');