• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topping #21 on White Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping #21 on White Paint

I had put this in the #21 forum but did not get any comments so figured I would give it a try in here.

I just ordered myself up a jug of #21. That seems to be about the most highly recommended product to use for the upcoming winter months for it's durability.

I just got my new DA the other day and am looking forward to putting it to work on my own vehicle as so far I have been doing friends and familiy.

Regarding the #21. Could some of you folks that are more familiar with this offer some suggestions as to topping or not-topping #21 when I have white paint. I guess specifically I would like to hear any comments on whether or not I should top it and if so what products to use.

I saw fron the other Forum that 2hotford recommended considering topping #21 with #16 for lighter colored vehicles.

Originally posted by 2hotford
    Hey meximum

Tried it already. The #16 adds even more reflective qualities to the paint. So on a lighter color, that would be a killer combo! But on darker colors, I would either leave #21 on its own or perhaps top it with #26 for a more warm, reflective look. Just IMHO!

Tim
    As #16 is no longer available, I was wondering if anyone else might have tried any other alternatives as a topper for #21. Again talking about white non metallic paint here.

I just put in for a weeks vacation here in a couple weeks and am looking forward to taking this thing down to the clearcoat for the first time. Claying, Using #80, then 2 Coats of #21 with a possible topper if you folks recommend such.

This is a 3 month old Honda Ridgeline, ungaraged, and a daily driver that I have been doing a pretty good job of maintaing with the full line of NXT products thus far. Very happy with the NXT even though it is somewhat of a high maintenance product.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

I really see no reason to top on white, heck I have black and don't get to fired up about topping with other products. IMO, it always looks like the last thing you put on. I say stick with the #21 and work towards two very even coats for winter.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

Hey Jeff,

The best way to make white stand out is to make it glossy as you can not make it look deep like a dark color. After spending a great deal of time with #21, it looks fantastic all on its own. However, as I mentioned in the quote above, Meg's #16 does add a little more reflective look, but it is not a tremendous difference. Another combo I have been using on white is using #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #21. This also creates a very highly reflective finish with an awesome gloss!

In the end, it comes down to what looks best in your eyes. I have always liked to try different combos over the years to adjust the particular look to certain colors. I know Mike for years used to use #20 topped with #16 when he detailed professionally. So it is not uncommon to find a particular look you are after and then using a combo that achieves that look.

As for the reply in the #21 thread, I am at a loss. I did reply! But when I just checked, my reply is not there! Looks like I have to do a little checking to see what happened to my post...????

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
        Hey Jeff,

The best way to make white stand out is to make it glossy as you can not make it look deep like a dark color. After spending a great deal of time with #21, it looks fantastic all on its own. However, as I mentioned in the quote above, Meg's #16 does add a little more reflective look, but it is not a tremendous difference. Another combo I have been using on white is using #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #21. This also creates a very highly reflective finish with an awesome gloss!
        This sounds like a smart combo here Tim. Both of these are great products from what I have seen and topping the #20 with the #21 will put a good long lasting shield over the #20 through the winter. I think I am liking this approach as opposed to topping it with something that likely may not hold up through the winter.

In the end, it comes down to what looks best in your eyes. I have always liked to try different combos over the years to adjust the particular look to certain colors. I know Mike for years used to use #20 topped with #16 when he detailed professionally. So it is not uncommon to find a particular look you are after and then using a combo that achieves that look.
        Understand all here and have been doing quite a bit of playing around, experimenting myself. I am just trying to get a feel for #21 before winter approaches as I don't have a garage and my play time will be running out. Trying to come up with a good combo that has been tried and recommended by others here.

As for the reply in the #21 thread, I am at a loss. I did reply! But when I just checked, my reply is not there! Looks like I have to do a little checking to see what happened to my post...???
        Yep, been there done that. have asked my self a time or 2 "Where did my post go?". Usually just my own mistake when rushing. I am starting to like Mike's idea of doing it in word first then copy/paste over into the forum. Keep the word doc open until sure the post went through. Live & Learn.

Well. I get to call Meg's and get me a Jug of #20 enroute. Thanks Tim. This suggested combo offers a high comfort factor for me and I am gonna run with it.
        Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 14, 2005, 12:17 PM.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');