• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some tips on using #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some tips on using #9

#9 has been eclipsed in many detailers' tool kits by newer products and by better marketed products. It is an older product, and it is a professional product; as such, it makes few concessions to "ease of use". But this workhorse, available at places like Pep Boys, still has a place in the arsenal. It does have some quirks that need to be mastered to maximize its efficiency; the secret is controlling liquid buildup in the pads.

I used a Cyclo and a green Cyclo pad; that is essentially equal to a G100 at setting 4 with a yellow pad.

The bottle says #9 is a "3" in strength, but I'd say it's closer to a 2. It breaks down pretty quickly; I'd say in about a minute (or less) the diminishing abrasives are done.

According to my sources, the carrying agent in #9 is #7. So at this point you have a pad full of #7, and you have to put more #9 on the pad to work the next panel. After a couple panels, your pads are pretty saturated! What I did was press a terry towel against the pad to draw the liquid out. I didn't want to rinse out the pads because #9 is "wet" enough already.

It should be removed wet. Removal of the product is similar to that of #7. The best method is a mf towel in each hand, and work quickly.

The product works as advertised. It is definitely for finishes in excellent condition that need minor swirl correction; it will not correct major swirls and spiderwebs, but there are products out there that are intended for that. One advantage of #9 is that it does leave behind the #7; you can go right from #9 to #26, or your LSP of choice.

If I were to do this again, I would use a finishing pad rather than a polishing pad. When I pulled the car out into the sun, I saw what I recognized as pad marks; they were minor, and your average person wouldn't see them, but I did. What this tells me is that the pad is stronger than the product!

There it is. Llike I said, many people have turned to other products, but #9 does the same thing as any of those, and for people who learn to master its application it is available locally and inexpensively.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Re: Some tips on using #9

Originally posted by Mosca
    According to my sources, the carrying agent in #9 is #7. So at this point you have a pad full of #7, and you have to put more #9 on the pad to work the next panel.
    Nice article Tom,

M09 is a wonderful product that was introduced at NACE in 1997. Since then it has been improved as technology allows.

Just one thing, the term carrying agent is not technically correct, it would be more accurate to say that M09 contains the same type of rich polishing oils as M07 Show Car Glaze, as do all our pure polishes and our cleaner/polishes.

Other than that, you make me want to break out a bottle of M09 myself!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hehe, just so's you know Mike, I used my source's words "carrying agent"; and my source is close to you... very close!

It's good stuff. It will work out swirl buildup on a finish that is in excellent condition.

Tom
      Last edited by Mosca; May 27, 2005, 12:46 PM.
      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');