• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackwall and Whitewall Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwall and Whitewall Cleaning

What have you guys found that works best on cleaning the white lettering on tires and the blackwall?

I've been using Castrol Degreaser diltuted 1:1.....Spray on...brush and rinse off. If your tires are pretty bad you may need to repeat a couple of times.

Thats should clean your RWL pretty well too, at least it works on mine.

I'm sure others will give you some others suggestions too
    Last edited by Bri9801; Apr 3, 2004, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Simple Green and a stiff brush or Ajax and a stiff brush. Both will clean tires well.
      *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

One product that I've used for years is available at Advance Auto...It is a purple looking, alkaline based cleaner that really does a good job of cleaning tires.

But be careful if you have coated wheels!...As it may stain them.

Chrome rims should be ok though.

Edit: I bought some Meguiar's Citri-Gel Cleaner in the Detailer line a few months ago, and I have been impressed with it's cleaning abilities...Not to mention that it is safe for wheels too.

Meguiar's Citri-Gel Cleaner link
        Last edited by rusty bumper; Apr 3, 2004, 12:06 PM.
        r. b.

Comment

Black & Decker Scumbuster. This is a battery operated scrubber that works really well in cleaning tires. This works especially well at removing dirt, brake dust and old tire shine from all the groves.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab
            Black & Decker Scumbuster. This is a battery operated scrubber that works really well in cleaning tires. This works especially well at removing dirt, brake dust and old tire shine from all the groves.

I've used the Scumbuster on carpet before, but I never really thought about using it on tires...As a matter of fact, I believe mine has some special brushes for wheels & such.

Thanks for the advice jfelbab, and welcome to MOL!
            r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Rusty Bumper.

I'm new here but not new to Meguiar's. I've a garage full of Meguiar's products. Many auto stores don't stock the quantity I do.

Love the stuff. Check out my 1991 MR2 in my avatar, it looks showroom fresh after 14 years thanks to Meguair's.

Typically I use Medallion Paint Cleaner, followed by Show Car Glaze followed by Yellow #26 on the MR2.

I'm about to NXT my daily driver, a Lexus RX330 as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

I use the Porter-Cable for cleaning and polishing and apply wax by hand.

When finished the car glows. I get tons of comments.

My B&D Scumbuster also came with some brushes that are perfect for tires and even wheels if you use the shaving brush gently.

Another use is cleaning the wheel wells. I usually spray Intensive Protectant after I clean them. Keeps them slick and ultra-dark looking.
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

Good luck finding it (Advance and Autozone both recently discontinued carring it, at least near me), but I love Westley's foam. It's in a large can (maybe 16 oz? All my stuff is still packed away, or I'd post a pic), the top is blue, and has a built in scrub brush. I think I have about 20 cans stashed away, bought out a few stores inventory when they discontinued it.....I use it each time I wash, works awesome.

Comment

You're welcome jfelbab!

I like your combo of: MPPC, #7 & #26...I've used some or all of it a lot.

Awsome finish on yor car too...

Thanks again for the Scumbuster tips.
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');