• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer to apply m80 (or any polish) by rotary or DA polisher ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer to apply m80 (or any polish) by rotary or DA polisher ?

First time ever posting, I have read hundreds of post and threads for answers and enjoy this site very much has saved me a few times on some jobs. But I have a dilemma. I realize there is newer technology out there in polishes, example m205. But 205 is dang hard to get off, I love m82 anyday and the price is better too.

so here is why I am posting my question. I have tried m80 on the rotary, with a polishing pad and babied the thing, and there still was faint swirl marks in the black Mercedes paint. I am scared to try it with my porter cable DA because it's not a SMaT newer polish, still DAT. But I'm curious, how are some of you getting a swirl free finish after polishing?

And as as a side question, when a product says its paintable, does it mean you can paint over it, like with a clear coat? Thanks

Re: Do you prefer to apply m80 (or any polish) by rotary or DA polisher ?

I have no experience with Mercedes paint, but I've used a bunch of M80 with both a rotary and D/A, with anything from wool to a Meg's yellow polishing pad. If I'm working on tired, old SS paint, I may go wool/rotary for the first pass, then follow with either M80 with either a rotary or D/A and a polishing pad, or another polish, such as 205 or UP. I haven't had any issues using M80 with a D/A, as long as the pad choice is correct. If you're having a problem with 205, are you possibly working it too long? The nice feature of the SMAT products is that you only need to work them as long as it takes to get the desired results, unlike DAT products, that have a defined cycle for optimum results.
    AFAIK, "paintable" means a product can be used in a body shop environment without any contents to contaminate fresh painting in the area, or inhibit curing of freshly-painted surfaces. I suppose it could be painted over, but a proper pre-painting solvent would have to be used first.

Bill

Comment

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Last question guys, so I am going to detail my friends 2013 500 gt cobra. The paint is amazing, but I want to put a polish on there. I was thinking of M3 machine glaze or m82 swirl free polish.

I have m205 but I don't want so much cut, on a scale of 10 it's a 4. M82 is 3, and machine glaze is 1.

would machine glaze or m82 be okay on clear coat?

Comment

Depends on what you have in stock. I wouldn't go out and buy M03 or M82 if you already have M205 available. On a modern day finish, I'd stay with M205 or Ultimate Polish. If you're worried about being to aggressive with 205 (not a valid concern IMO), try a test spot with 205 using a waxing pad rather than a polishing pad. You just may get the results you're looking for.

Bill

Comment

I repeat what was said above: on modern clear coats stay with modern SMAT products. M205 Ultra Finishing Polish was designed for a short polishing cycle. Long action will be counter-productive. M205 creates amazing depth, like no other product currently on the market, in my opinion. Many detailers perform the last final polishing step using dual action polisher as that type of application will result in swirl free finish (even on dark paints).

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');