• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before and After Shots - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After Shots - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Before and After Shots - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

This is my friend Rob's 2006 Mustang GT Convertible. In the right light at the right angle it looks pretty good.

But under closer inspection the paint is completely filled with rotary buffer swirls also called holograms.

I want to note that Rob purchased this Mustang from a local dealership with the DISO, or the Dealer Installed Swirl Option already installed at no extra charge.

I used Rob's Mustang to put the new Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System to the test.

Here's a few shots taken in the sun. Note how the swirls in the paint closest to the windshield have an almost floating or 3D effect, this is where the term hologram comes from in the context of talking about swirls instilled by a rotary buffer.

Here's a section of the above photo cropped out and in full size...
    Often times you'll hear or read about "Holograms" or "Buffer Trails". These are both interchangeable terms for Rotary Buffer Swirls.

If you look at the below swirls they almost seem to have a 3D or floating in the paint affect, this is the appearance characteristic from which we get the word hologram.

Mustangs are beautiful cars but not when the paint shimmers with swirls... the paint is supposed to shimmer with a swirl-free shine....

Here's the same car but now we're using the flash from our camera to light up and reveal the horrendous swirls...

I don't think I've ever seen a car so swirled out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer...

The zillions of swirls in the clear layer makes the paint look hazy and blocks your view of the black paint under the clear top coat. This reduces the darkness of the paint making the true black look gray.

In this shot we've actually only buffed out just the passenger side of the hood using just a DA Polisher. After getting some before and after shots we then buffed out the driver's side.

Here are the end results...

And here's Rob, the happy owner in his swirl free black Mustang...

Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Before and After Shots - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Here's the video we shot here Autogeek's Show Car Garage Studio with Jason Rose and Mike Pennington!

Meguiars New Microfiber DA System in Action!

A big thank you to Meguiar's for letting Jason Rose and Mike Pennington come out here to sunny Stuart, Florida and shoot this how-to video at our studio.

I've known Mike Pennington for over 20 years and Jason's somewhere in that time range and both gentleman are the dictionary explanation of professional in every sense of the word.

It was fun having them out here and I hope we can work together on future projects. I have some behind the scenes shots that I'll add to this thread.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Amazing results on this Mustang, Mike. You couldn't make the owner happier.

Do you have special limited edition microfiber pads? They are not white.

The video is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I have some behind the scenes shots that I'll add to this thread.
        It seemed more fitting to add the behind the scenes pictures to this thread, check them out...

Video - Meguiars Microfiber DA System with Jason, Mike & Mike

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
        Do you have special limited edition microfiber pads? They are not white.
        Naw... I've been getting by on the pre-production units...

I do have some Microfiber DA Pads that date back to around 2005/2006 when I was first introduced to them by Jason... some are in the original packaging and everyone that knows me knows I collect antique wax products, so the ones in the packages will probably stay there, kind of like this original, early clay from 1995 in my collection.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Classic Clay - Early Detailing Clay

Meguiar's introduced their customers and many, many car enthusiasts to detailing clay when it was first introduced to the U.S. market in the early 1990's.

The package with the white colored clay bar is from 1995 as the date is on the package, I'm not sure of the date for the clay kit that has the black clay bar in it

The video is outstanding.
        Yancy, our "Creative Director" can work magic but Mike and Jason did a spectacular job too.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Your car care collection must be amazing, Mike.

There should be best car detailing video category at The Oscars so we could nominate Yancy.

Mike, how was your experience with M86 and microfiber pads?

Comment

Your car care collection must be amazing, Mike.
            Barry has the best that I've ever seen, at least the oldest bottles in the best shape. Tom McDonald and Mike Pennington also have very, very impressive collections. I know 2 guys that claim to have glass gallon jugs from before WWII, haven't seen them but I'm on the short list for one guy to become the next caretaker.

There should be best car detailing video category at The Oscars so we could nominate Yancy.
            He's very talented and... a car guy! Since he knows where he wants the cars placed for video work that means he gets to drive a lot of cool cars...

He's going to have a lot of fun this coming Monday... one of the cars is valued at close to 3 million dollars, found in a barn.

Mike, how was your experience with M86 and microfiber pads?
            I think the M86 works great with Microfiber pads and DA Polishers. Like the new DA Compound, it's easy to work with and anyone can get show car results.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              He's going to have a lot of fun this coming Monday... one of the cars is valued at close to 3 million dollars, found in a barn.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Mike!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Its unbelievable that someone that jacked up his car probably still has a job
                Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thanks a lot, Mike.

I'll give M86 a try on MF pads.

Looking forward to seeing more of your great projects (including 3 million dollar one).

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');