• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swirls re-appearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swirls re-appearing

swirls re-appearing

First of all, I'm a big big fan of #80 not only because of cutting power but also because of the looks!

Here's what happened. I just finished polishing my brother's Honda Accord. I used #80 speed glaze on a W8000 polishing pad with a rotary. I've done this before so I'm not new to rotary with #80. (slow passess, medium-light pressure, then fast passess)

I finished it at around 10 in the evening with some halogen over the garage. It's 99% perfect. I did not use #83 since there were only minor swirls and from my evaluation #80 will do the job especially with my rotary.

I just left it bare after finishing and immediately went to sleep since it's already late at night. The following morning I pulled out the Accord into the sunlight since I need to clean the garage. For almost half of the day in the sunlight, it's left bare. At around 4PM I immediately parked the Accord inside the garage to start the finishing passes with #80 using the finishing pad. (before I hand-apply NXT)

But to my dismay, when I switch on the halogen lights, I noticed minor swirls re-appearing. I SWEAR, these swirls weren't really apparent the previous night or right just after #80's application.

Question:

Could it be just that I wasn't able to eliminate 100% of the swirls the previous night?
    Am I just pushing #80 too much way beyond it's limit? (I use the rotary)

I'm more interested in the issue of re-appearing swirls, could it be just that the fillers in #80 evaporated when I left the Accord for almost half of the day in bright sunlight (I'm in a tropical country, and it's burning hot here.)

I know #80 is more of an abrasive polish and it does contain fillers because of the oil. My thinking was that, I may have eliminated "some" of the swirls while "some" were just hidden by the fillers, thus, reappearing the following day when the oils evaporated.

Should I use #83 instead to totally eliminate the swirls instead of filling? Does #83 contain less of the fillers in #80?

tnx!
    I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Hey,

After pulling the car outside in the morning, and bringing it back in at 4 pm, did you QD the surface before applying the next step? The reason I ask is that there is a ton of contaminents floating around in the air. If your car sat outside after freshly polishing it, it would have light dust/contaminents on it. These contaminents may cause swirling in some cases, if a person just simply wipes off the car before the next step. If you were cleaning your garage, is there a chance that dust may have come out of the garage and landed on the car?

How do do you store your pads?

I have used #80 Speed Glaze for a long time and have never had issuses with swirls reappearing. So I would say that something happened post-polishing. Either way, we will figure it out!

Please keep us posted.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi tripper_11,

I'm not sure what happened, if you want to insure you have completely removed any swirls or holograms from the finish, then re-polish with a tool that doesn't rotate with a direct drive motor such as a dual action polisher.

What's the definition of the word filler?

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Tim:

You may have a valid point. At any rate, another factor to consider is that this is the first time I have done polishing and did not go immediately to the finishing phase. In the past I have always followed polishing with the same #80 but with a W9000 pad on a rotary. I may have not yet eliminated the swirls perfectly, or that it need another pass but this time with the finishing pad.

I did not QD, I just left it bare after polishing and even while outside and back to the garage. Dust may have landed while I was cleaning the garage, since I've used an air compressor to drive away much of the dust in the garage especially on the shelves and on the corners. It's just full of wax dust, leftovers, streaks, etc.

I'll just try doing it again with #83 tonight with the polishing pad. And #80 with the finishing pad before #26 by hand. What do you think?

Mike:

I have always used the rotary with either #83 and #80 before, I guess for almost a year now. Before, I used orbital/dual action. But after discovering the power of the rotary, I have never used the orbital again. Anyway I'll try it tonight after #83 with the rotary, I'll do #80 with the dual action.

When I say fillers, I'm referring to the TS oils which somewhat fills some micro-marring left. Is this true with the #80? Does #83 contain less of these TS oils or fillers since it's more aggresive or contain more abrasive and cutting power?

Tnx guys! This forum have always been a great help. No wonder meguiars products continue to dominate not only the consumer market but also the professional market as well.

will keep you two posted!
        I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');