• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Wheel Brightner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Wheel Brightner!

Hey guys,

I had my buddy use some of his Megs Wheel Brigtner today on my 2007 Acura TSX (OEM RIMS), and I couldn't get over how good this stuff worked. We didn't even agigtate the stuff, and it removed like 99% of the tar, brake dust, etc... I couldn't get over how much better it is than my Megs All Wheel Cleaner.

Anyway, here's my question. Is this stuff safe to use on my OEM rims EVERY time I wash the car? I know that it's strong, but thought I'd get some advice. Also, is the 4:1 ratio the best way to use this stuff?

Thanks!

Re: Meguiars Wheel Brightner!

As long as the wheels have a clear coat on them, you should be ok.

To see if they have a clear coat on them, try some polish on them and if the towel turns up clean, it has clear coat on them, if you pull up tarnish they do not.

Comment

Hey,

You could, but I am not sure why you would. Once the wheels are clean, usually just simple car wash soap is enough to maintain.

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is extremely powerful and requires that certain safety measures be used: ie. goggles, mask, gloves etc. You need to apply to cool wheels (or it will become a strong vapor, ask me how I know ), you needs to wet down cement as it can stain it, and if your clear coat on your wheel has been compromised from rock chips, hitting a curb etc, the WB could wick underneath the CC , fogging or staining your wheel.

Now with that said, I love WB as it will make the nastiest wheels look new again. But, because Meguiar's markets this product to professionals, it is assumed that they are using the safety precautions as well as using it when needed. Therefore, I would use it only when needed and maintain with a car wash soap or a milder wheel cleaner.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Oh wow, I will have to be careful with this stuff then. I am ALMOST certain that my stock, OEM factory rims are clear coated...

As far as the wheel brigtener goes, should I not use it if I curbed a little bit of my rim, and have a little bit of road rash on it? I have some tar that I'm hoping it will remove, but I don't want to ruin my rims at the same time...

Lastly, why do you need gloves for this stuff? Is it really that corrosive to your hands?

Thanks much!

Comment

Also, I've been researching the WB product, and I was wondering if you all still recommend diluting it 4:1, or instead 10:1?

Thanks much!

Comment

I use it 4:1 because that is what it has on the bottle, but 10:1 will work too. The reason you should wear gloves a mask and eye protection is because it is a very acidic product. Acid in your skin isn't good. Acid in your lungs isn't good. And Acid in your eyes isn't good. I normally don't wear anything when applying it because I'm stupid but I always check the wind so I'm not downstream and get it in my face. I will shield my mouth with my shirt though to not breathe it in.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I thought the clear coat test was with wax??? I tried this test with Meg's cleaner wax.

Comment

Heh, I ignored the safety precautions when using WB last time @ 4:1 and ended up breathing it in a few times when the mist was nearby. It's like breathing in full-strength Purple Power! It wasn't strong enough (with lots of scrubbing) to remove some apparently hardcore caked-on brake gunk on the interior of the wheel dish, but it did a fairly good job.

Not sure if I'll continue using 4:1 APC or WB, but indeed one does want to wear gloves, probably a mask, and glasses when using it!

Comment

Just a joke...

For smoker, use WB without mask .

Kill two birds with a stone - it clean the tar in your 4 wheels and also clean the tar in your 2 lungs hahaha.

Comment

im not sure if it was this product or a different wheel cleaner, but when I worked at the Infinity Dealership in the wash bay, we wouldn't even dilute it and just spray the wheels down with it. We never wore masks or gloves or anything and every time you'd start coughing and overspray would burn your arms...this stuff is no joke!

Comment

The dealership is asking to get sued and fined by OSHA.

Comment

I've been using WB diluted to 8-10:1 for the past couple of years. The 10:1 mix takes a little longer to cut through the brake dust but still does a phenomenal job.

I've used the 4:1 mix on really dirty wheels but I find the 10:1 mix works fine on moderately dirty wheels

Originally posted by JLTSX07 View Post
                        Hey guys,

I had my buddy use some of his Megs Wheel Brigtner today on my 2007 Acura TSX (OEM RIMS), and I couldn't get over how good this stuff worked. We didn't even agigtate the stuff, and it removed like 99% of the tar, brake dust, etc... I couldn't get over how much better it is than my Megs All Wheel Cleaner.

Anyway, here's my question. Is this stuff safe to use on my OEM rims EVERY time I wash the car? I know that it's strong, but thought I'd get some advice. Also, is the 4:1 ratio the best way to use this stuff?

Thanks!
                        Andy W.
                        Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                        Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');