• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#3 or #5 for "Show Car" by rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 or #5 for "Show Car" by rotary

Hi guys - It's been quite a while since I've been here. In that time, I have got to grips with rotary polishing and have had a lot of success with 3M and with the trusty Meguiars 83/80 combination I got used to by DA. I've corrected swirling and scratching on a number of cars and now it comes to my own, and especially our black car, I'd like some advice.

You know I love #7 (who doesn't?), but which out of #3 and #5 should I pick for use by rotary machine on my black SAAB? I said "Show Car" in the title - it isn't quite, but it is very thick paint, deep and shiny and also very delicate and subject to swirling unless VERY careful with the washing stage.

What I like about #7 is the smell! Really? Yeah, it smells like an antique product that is just the right thing to put onto Show Car paint. I have an inkling that #3 is going to be the closest for rotary application, but I can't help wondering about #5. I know "new car" paint back then might well have been very different to new paint today and even resprayed paint today, but what are the merits of either glaze?

What I tend to need is something to wipe off very VERY light swirling (nowhere near as deep that #9 might be needed) that turns up from washing and drying; #7 normally suffices there. 3M Ultrafina SE is something I'm using at the moment and very much enjoy, but there is more of an experience for me with #7 and I'd like the closest such experience by rotary, too ... you know what I mean :grin:

Re: #3 or #5 for "Show Car" by rotary

Out of the two choices you asked about, stick with the M03 for use with a rotary buffer. If you're going to use a DA polisher you can use either M03 or M07.

M05 dries pretty fast and dries white and powdery, stick with one of the above.

Have you tried M205 yet? Either with a rotary or a DA polisher?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike - Many thanks for your reply.

That clears things up nicely - I am a rotary convert ... actually, I never owned a DA, but used a friend's every now and again. So, #3 for my rotary and that'll give me the same kind of fun I get from #7? Superb! I'll grab a bottle now. I had wondered if #5 was a kind of ancient "PDI" glaze.

I have read in a couple of other posts that #3 is happy to be used by hand, but the threads ran dry quite quickly as to the application. I'm happy with the "not too much not too little ... wipe around, break up and wipe off" technique with #7, so if I choose to use #3 by hand is it a similar technique?

I have not tried any of your new breed of SMA products yet. I really should because it's all good reviews. I gather a single product like #205 will replace 83/80 in one go and I can then still use that glazing step which seems to add so much to the final finish on Prima Donna black, especially when used with a wax like #26. I have tried #26 out in paste form and get on with it a lot better than my old bottle of the liquid version. I don't know if it was a dud, or what, but the paste version is much more "up my street".

Cheers, Mike. I'll seek out a sample of #205 - there's a good number of folks splitting up larger bottles for samples over here in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Orca View Post

so if I choose to use #3 by hand is it a similar technique?
        Yes.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Superb! I've ordered a bottle already

Comment

Mmmm ... upon opening the bottle of #3, there is that reassuring smell of the oiliness in #7. Slightly greyer in colour and a little sticky when used by hand but does a good enough job.

By rotary (which is what it is intended for), it gives exactly the same "WOW!!!" to the paint that #7 does by hand. Great product ... and now I have one for hand and one for machine

Comment

Here's a quick snap of #3 applied to my white car this evening. The boot was polished with a fine lotion from Autobright, called 'Top Line' and then I set about putting a really deep wet look in with a glaze. My glaze was #3:

... even on that sharp angle, I think you guys can appreciate how deep that looks. I took the picture at a sharp angle to try to capture what I actually see when I look at the car with my eyes.

Comment

Tim Lingor waxes at length about the wetness he can achieve with a rotary and M03. I feel so bad because I know I know the rotary will always be beyond my reach. Sigh.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  Tim Lingor waxes at length about the wetness he can achieve with a rotary and M03. I feel so bad because I know I know the rotary will always be beyond my reach. Sigh.
                  He's right! It is quite something. As I gain in experience and skill, I know I will just see more and more out of #3.

Rotary polishing beyond you? Nah! I picked it up in a matter of hours and the results you see there are from little more than 10 hours of practice. I consider myself confident and skilled enough to tackle most jobs now. Rotary polishing is something that continues to teach you no matter how long you've been doing it ... or so I'm told.

Seriously, give it a go - you can pick a polisher up very cheaply, pop a finishing pad on and some glaze like this ... buzz around, make mistakes, get the hang of stopping it skidding all over the place ... let go ... that actually gives you control and then just find the balance. The rest is practice.

Comment

Awwwww!!! I had some fun on non-metallic black this evening. On a 3M blue finishing pad, #3 just goes on and on and on and on ... jewelling the perfect finish is an absolute pleasure.

... and under street lamps my camera has a 2 second shutter option - that's the best I can do, so with the help of a passing car:

It is simply ... perfect

Awesome product - by machine this is as impressive as #7 is by hand. I love the stuff. Damn, now I have two glazes to buy

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');