• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax and Paint Sealer questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax and Paint Sealer questions...

I'm starting a Mobile Detailing business using all Meguiars products, just like most of you it's the products I've used for years. Anyway I'm trying to narrow down some of the products for my detail packages. One thing I'm having trouble with is a wax and a paint sealant. I've personally only used the consumer Gold Class and NXT waxes. I've been very pleased with both products and would like to offer my customers the same. Looking at the professional line I was a little confused on what might be similar.

Here's how I'm looking to implement them in my packages:

Express Detail - I'll use D151 since it's a cleaner and a wax. This will be a one step process and since this detail is inexpensive it should satisfy most customers. I do however want to give my customers a adder for a paint sealer only if the vehicle is clayed, which will be included in the adder.

Traditional Detail- I'll use a two step process here with a true polish like 205 and a seperate wax for the base price. Again I want to offer a paint sealer as an upgrade. The vehicle is clayed in this package either way.

Pro Detail- This package will use whatever is needed 2 to 3 step process with a paint sealer as standard. The customer can downgrade to a wax only if they want.

I was looking at the M26 wax but I would like to have the same results as the Gold Class. The sealer I was looking at is the M21 if it is a true sealer? I only questoined it because I seen that it was compared to a wax. I definitely want to make sure I'm giving my customers two options if I'm promoting it that way.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    My rides currently
    2005 Mustang GT
    2001 Ford Lightning
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Re: Wax and Paint Sealer questions...

Is it a wax? Or a paint sealant?

Synthetic Polymer/Sealant vs. Wax

What are the differences between Meguiar's waxes?

Comment

For the most part NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and M21 2.0 are the same.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

M21 2.0 is formulated to withstand heat better and can be applied with a rotary buffer. M21 2.0 is also available in 64oz jugs whereas NXT 2.0 has only the 16 oz size. I have tried both and they are virtually the same in terms of looks and durability.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thanks that is what I needed. I'm not sure why these didn't show up in my searches but I do appreciate the links.
          My rides currently
          2005 Mustang GT
          2001 Ford Lightning
          2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll go with the M21 for my sealer. I think I'll get the 26 in a small quantity to see how it stacks up against the Gold Class wax I'm used too.
            My rides currently
            2005 Mustang GT
            2001 Ford Lightning
            2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

One thing about your packages is you might want to be clear about what defects can and wont be removed.

Or maybe you can do a flat charge for the cleaner/wax, but the Pro one might need to be by the hour or something if you are going for a show car kind of look.

Just some thoughts.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am confused by your "upgrades" to a sealer/sealant. If I am your customer, I will not understand why I should pay more for M21 as opposed, say, to M26. They are both fine products. M26 is not inferior to M21 just because it's a "wax." I think you should dump the whole "sealer" language, which I think is confusing and misleading anyway. The problem with the "upgrade" language in this context (i.e., upgrade from wax to sealant) is that it cheapens your basic detail. It makes it sound like the wax you have chosen is crummy, but for a few dollars more your customer can get a real good "sealant." This doesn't sound like good business tactics to me. Your customer needs to feel confident with your basic detail package. That's going to be your bread and butter. If you want to offer the customer a choice between wax and sealant, then give him that choice, but don't make him pay extra for it. Assume your customers will pick the sealant (M21) and price your package accordingly. If a customer chooses M26 instead, well, you've made a few extra pennies. But I may be totally off base on this, so ask the pros.

Most important: keep it simple! Don't confuse the customer.

Ask the pros here what they do. What kind of packages do they offer? What products do they use in their basic details, etc., etc. Get good advice before you make any purchases. You need to calculate out your costs down to the last penny. Make economical choices. Make money. Good luck!
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by JST4FN View Post
                  Thanks that is what I needed. I'm not sure why these didn't show up in my searches but I do appreciate the links.
                  n/p. I usually email links from MOL to myself that I find handy and informative and keep them in a folder labeled Meguiars

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    I am confused by your "upgrades" to a sealer/sealant. If I am your customer, I will not understand why I should pay more for M21 as opposed, say, to M26. They are both fine products. M26 is not inferior to M21 just because it's a "wax." I think you should dump the whole "sealer" language, which I think is confusing and misleading anyway. The problem with the "upgrade" language in this context (i.e., upgrade from wax to sealant) is that it cheapens your basic detail. It makes it sound like the wax you have chosen is crummy, but for a few dollars more your customer can get a real good "sealant." This doesn't sound like good business tactics to me. Your customer needs to feel confident with your basic detail package. That's going to be your bread and butter. If you want to offer the customer a choice between wax and sealant, then give him that choice, but don't make him pay extra for it. Assume your customers will pick the sealant (M21) and price your package accordingly. If a customer chooses M26 instead, well, you've made a few extra pennies. But I may be totally off base on this, so ask the pros.

Ask the pros here what they do. What kind of packages do they offer? What products do they use in their basic details, etc., etc. Get good advice before you make any purchases. You need to calculate out your costs down to the last penny. Make economical choices. Make money. Good luck!
                    Once again, I find myself agreeing with Al. Spot on, IMHO.
                    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

Some very good points.

I know we've gotten a little off topic but here's how I decided my packages:

Express- for those that want a clean car, protection but don't feel the need for a full detail. A normal car wash just isn't enough.

Tradtional- for those who care for there cars and want that new vehicle feel again. Light paint correction is included in this package.

Pro- for those that want a show car shine. All of the traditional perks will be included but with added paint correction including wet sanding, high speed buffing , or whatever it takes for a mirror show car shine.

That being said maybe I'll offer the upgrade to the Express package only. My base price includes one pass over the car with a polish, wax product. It's basically an inexpensive package for those who want more than a traditional car wash but do not want to pay for a full detail. The upgrade would be clay, a polish and a wax. Basically I would be adding the clay and one extra polish step.

On the other two packages maybe I should just give the option, or just go with M21 up front ?

Does that sound better? Trust me hearing your opinion helps me as the last thing I need is confused customers, although I feel it's my responsibility to educate my customers on what I'm doing.
                      My rides currently
                      2005 Mustang GT
                      2001 Ford Lightning
                      2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

The more you educate them, the more they can be wiling to pay.

I wonder, and am not sure about this at all, if you could just charge by the hour in general, and then kind of have like an a la carte menu. The more things they pick, the longer you'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          The more you educate them, the more they can be wiling to pay.

I wonder, and am not sure about this at all, if you could just charge by the hour in general, and then kind of have like an a la carte menu. The more things they pick, the longer you'll be there.

The only thing that bothers me about charging by the hour is people questioning my hourly rate more than the quality of service. Of course in the end if the product is correct than more than likely the hourly cost want matter. I do know that once I start detailing RV's and Boat's it will be by the foot. I defintely want to keep it simple though as I get frustrated when I can't get an idea of what something might cost beforehand.
                          My rides currently
                          2005 Mustang GT
                          2001 Ford Lightning
                          2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

Yeah, maybe just save the hourhly stuff for the show cars.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');