• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wats the best way to remove old wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wats the best way to remove old wax?

As above. Should i use a Meg degreaser since it can dewax?

Re: Wats the best way to remove old wax?

If the wax has been on the car for many months and the car has been exposed to the elements, then most likely it has worn off. But regardless, there is no need to resort to a degreasing agent. Simply clay the car and apply a paint cleaner (e.g., Deep Crystal 1). That will take you back to the base level. Here are some threads where the question has been discussed:

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Hope this helps.

Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

A mild paint cleaner will remove any coat of wax present in the surface.

Comment

But I would probably be thinking it is time to do the complete cycle. For this I would go ahead and clay your vehicle. Then give it a fresh lsp.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Degreasers when used as wax removers are not intended to make paint look good, (as in part of a system of making paint look good), but chemically strip the paint.

A well designed/formulated paint cleaner will remove anything off the surface and leave the paint looking good, (as in part of a system of making paint look good), and also leave it perfectly prepared to either wax or polish and then wax.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Degreasers when used as wax removers are not intended to make paint look good, (as in part of a system of making paint look good), but chemically strip the paint.

A well designed/formulated paint cleaner will remove anything off the surface and leave the paint looking good, (as in part of a system of making paint look good), and also leave it perfectly prepared to either wax or polish and then wax.
            Would you wash the car between paint cleaning and polishing or just go straight from paint cleaning to polishing? I didn't know if paint cleaners leave behind any residue that should be washed off before polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert31 View Post
              Would you wash the car between paint cleaning and polishing or just go straight from paint cleaning to polishing? I didn't know if paint cleaners leave behind any residue that should be washed off before polishing.
              Just go from one process to the next, you don'th ave to wash the car in-between processes.

Wash --> Clay --> Clean --> Polish --> Wax

At least when using the Meguiar's product line as our chemist made all the products they know how to make each product build off the results of the previously applied product.

By staying inside a single product line there is Synergistic Chemical Compatibility. (SCC)

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bert31 View Post
                To add to his question I notice after I clay there is a lot of lubricant that doesn't completely get removed and leaves it streaky and hazy (not damaged paint but just a residue). Would it be okay to wash that off or can we still continue with the next step?
                2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Originally posted by HemiMopar View Post
                  To add to his question I notice after I clay there is a lot of lubricant that doesn't completely get removed and leaves it streaky and hazy (not damaged paint but just a residue). Would it be okay to wash that off or can we still continue with the next step?
                  you would want to remove the lubricant w/ a mf towel if you're done claying the vehicle.

Comment

If you're using a quality mist & wipe detailer and a quality clay bar then you should be able to wipe the residue off using a quality microfiber.

Be sure to work a section and then wipe it clean, don't go around the entire car and then try to wipe the car clean. Work a section at at a time.

We demonstrate this at all of our Saturday classes on all kinds of paint systems without problems and then turn people that have never clayed before in their lives loose to try their hand at it.

If there is any residue left behind then "Yes" the next step will remove this whatever the next step is, paint cleaner, compound, cleaner/polish, pure polish, wax etc.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

If you're using a quality mist & wipe detailer and a quality clay bar then you should be able to wipe the residue off using a quality microfiber.

Be sure to work a section and then wipe it clean, don't go around the entire car and then try to wipe the car clean. Work a section at at a time.

We demonstrate this at all of our Saturday classes on all kinds of paint systems without problems and then turn people that have never clayed before in their lives loose to try their hand at it.

If there is any residue left behind then "Yes" the next step will remove this whatever the next step is, paint cleaner, compound, cleaner/polish, pure polish, wax etc.

I have used Meg's but the towel gets saturated before I make it all around the car and by the end it is absorbing some but still tends to just push it around and it dries before it is removed completely.
                      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

I have used Meg's but the towel gets saturated before I make it all around the car and by the end it is absorbing some but still tends to just push it around and it dries before it is removed completely.
                        Have a few more microfiber polishing cloths on hand for the claying step.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just go from one process to the next, you don'th ave to wash the car in-between processes.

Wash --> Clay --> Clean --> Polish --> Wax
                          Thanks Mike, I will keep that in mind in future details. My next detail will be an exception though, after washing, claying and paint cleaning I have a few paint chips that will need some touch up paint. After a day or two of drying for the touch up paint, I will obviously wash off all the dust accumulated during those two days before going on to wet sanding the touch up blobs and then compounding and polishing and so forth.

At least when using the Meguiar's product line as our chemist made all the products they know how to make each product build off the results of the previously applied product.

By staying inside a single product line there is Synergistic Chemical Compatibility. (SCC)
                          Wow, try saying that 10 times fast w/o goofing it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');