• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using #7 and NXT 2.0...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using #7 and NXT 2.0...again

Elsewhere I posted how pleased I was with using #83 polish, followed by #7 show car glaze, followed by NXT 2.0. NOW, however, I want to get ready for an upcomming car club show and I'd like to do it again...this time without further polishing with #83.

Given that the car has two applications of 2.0, should I remove (wash) this before going over with #7 again, or can I just wade in with the #7 and follow up with 2.0 as before? Conventional wisdom would say take off the 2.0 first with a good wash, but I've learned to always ask with Mequiar's products - I continue to be pleasantly surprised.

If the 2.0 has to come off before using the #7 again, please let me know. I may just stick with another app. of 2.0. Just trying to go for that little bit extra.
    Kevin
    Overland Park, KS USA
    1987 MB 560SL
    2003 MB ML320
    2006 Mini Cooper S

Re: Using #7 and NXT 2.0...again

The correct thing to do is to remove any coat of wax present in the paint and apply the pure polish and then follow it by using a wax of choice, in your case NXT 2.0.

Comment

That is indeed the most logical answer. I just had to ask, though. Thank you for confirming my hunch!
      Kevin
      Overland Park, KS USA
      1987 MB 560SL
      2003 MB ML320
      2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

Take the following with a grain of salt, given my lack of detailing experience; but it seems to me that if one wishes, as I'm sure you do, to bring your car to optimum shine and gloss for a car show, then the best thing to do is to clay and clean the surface, which would inevitably remove the wax. By this preparation surface and below-surface imperfections that would negatively affect gloss and shine are removed, and the paint is prepared to receive both the #7 glaze and the subsequent applications of NXT wax.

I have to believe that the #7 glaze, or any other pure polish, is used to best effect when it is applied directly to paint that has been properly cleaned than when it is applied instead to a layer of wax, even when that layer of wax has been washed. At least, this is what I infer from reading Mike's article Why Meguiar's recommends polishing paint. Mike and others, do you agree?
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Forgot to mention that I re-clayed the whole car. I just hate getting out the hose and buckets when the car is so clean. I keep it garaged and dust is my only real problem BUT...if I want to use #7 again, I'll start the process over. Thanks again.
          Kevin
          Overland Park, KS USA
          1987 MB 560SL
          2003 MB ML320
          2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

Have you only used #83 so far? #80 should leave a nicer finish than #83 also, and is milder, for more regular use.

And yes, I would tend to say for absolute best results, you want wash/clay/clean/polish/wax/wax... but if the car is already in great shape, then sometimes you can skip steps. No big deal, just whatever you feel is nessacery.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

When I was showing my MR2, I would apply #7 right over the LSP just before the show. #7 doesn't remove the LSP and does make the surface look extremely wet. Of course it will evaporate in a day or two but I'd come back from the show and reapply another coat of wax after the show.
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

Jfelbab, you answered the question that I could not seem to ask correctly!! I'm going to try applying some #7 the night before the show. It starts at 9AM so I'll go straight from the garage to the show. Thanks for the tip.
                Kevin
                Overland Park, KS USA
                1987 MB 560SL
                2003 MB ML320
                2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

Let us know how that #7 topping for a show turned out. Sounds interesting for my pre-show shine. It takes forever to clay and completely repolish my big ol' truck for every show since it lives outside or in a carport.

Comment

Just to note, NONE of Meguiar's pure polishes are "lasting products", that's the job of a wax or paint sealant.

Pure polishes are for creating gloss.

Also #7 Show Car Glaze is very oily and these oils don't really evaporate. Water evaporates, solvents evaporates, but oils don't tend to evaporate.

It might be better to say that the show car results you get with M07 will diminish with time unless you top with a wax but again, our pure polishes are water soluble, they are not 'lasting products", that's not their job. They are in our body shop line of product primarily targeted at people working in body shops on fresh paint where you're not supposed to use waxes or paint sealants to seal fresh paint.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');