• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M83/M80 Combo or D151

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M83/M80 Combo or D151

Tools in my aresenal are the PC7424 and elbow grease.

I've tried ScratchX with multiple passes on a 9 year old Mazda Protege (dark blue). The results were great but not that show car quality. I still see minute swirls and scratches. But to the non-detail informative person, the car looks great, just like it came off the lot. #7 and NXT2.0 gives it a deep wet color. Detail included wash w/ Deep Crystal car wash, clay, ScratchX, #7, and NXT2.0. On the horizon is a purchase of UQD for in-between washes and reapplication of wax.

I admit my Protege was a test car for trying a full exterior (paint) detail with OTC products and the true test lies in a 6 year old Audi A4 in Brilliant Black.

I'm waiting to hear from the gurus/experts in their experiences with Audis and the recommendation on which products to get. Paint quality on my Audi is around 4 on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the worst paint condition.

I'm planning on purchasing a gallon of each M83/M80 or D151 for weekend detailing on relative's/friend's cars.

The Protege and A4 are daily drivers but luckily I have a third vehicle and a garage to promote the OCD for that show car shine.

Recommendations?

Re: M83/M80 Combo or D151

I would go with the D151. If VW paint is anything like the Audi (and why shouldn't it be) then D151 works great. I just detailed my buddies black VW Jetta this past weekend with D151 and it looked new.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I just did a 2000 Porsche. The test spot with D151 wasn't as good as M80 followed by M26. That said, sometimes (on different cars and/or different severity of defects) the D151 is equal to or better than the M80/M26 so you can save a step. Some paints will work better with certain products than others, I would get all three or D151 in a sample size if you can find it combined with the 32 oz size of the other two to start out with.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs. Any others?

Comment

I tried D151 on our Neon, although I probably need more experience using it, I didn't like it as well as M83. My Neon is hard as nails clear coat and once maintained, it may serve it's purpose with the D151 (which is why I got a sample). I have yet to try it on our Yukon which is more forgiving.

I may try it today though as I have to wait for Dish Network all day to fix my satellite. No TV, wasn't too bad, kids actually went outside

D151 is a great product and read great reviews on it, but for serious paint correction, M80/M83 et al are no brainers to keep in your arsenal.

IF I use the D151 on our Yukon today, I'll keep you posted.

Our Neon is a pain in the rear, I have to glue diamonds on a 7 series pad to get the swirls out

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

For serious paint correction I prefer M105
            AeroCleanse, LLC
            Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
            www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Get samples of all 3. You may get away with just 151, but 83/80 maybe your answer. It is hard to determine until you try a test spot.

Comment

I used D151 for the first time on our Yukon (Neon didn't work so well or I need more practice).

It worked quite well and I only did one pass and followed up with M16, two coats.

I like D151 but I would need to do 2-3 passes to get out the swirls I have in some spots and I would rather do the correction with M83/M80 et al then wax.

ONCE the paint is whipped into shape, I feel that the D151 would be a great tool to maintain and has a little more bite than ColorX and I haven't tried M66 yet.

It's up to you, I would get the 83/80 for sure and get some D151. I may use it more than not for quick touch ups.

I'm going to do a quickie write up on a new thread of today's activity .

Have fun

EDIT: Here is my thread on the Yukon using D151: I should add that you need some M105 or at least a sample, it's great stuff.

2000 GMC Yukon

Have fun buying stuff, I started out with a few items, now I have 5 shelves of stuff.
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

From my experiences, I would suggest a test spot. Point being like Aaron stated one product works works great on the neon, one product works great on his yukon. I have the same issues with our Chrysler and Mazda. So to me you should do the test spot and dial in the proper prescription for that paint. Sorry I can not be more specific.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                    Have fun buying stuff, I started out with a few items, now I have 5 shelves of stuff.
                    Trying to avoid that. If I have too much fun, it'll get expensive real fast. Detailing is like modding, it's an addiction.

Comment

I recommend D151 and 105. Both are relatively inexpensive and will do what you are trying to do.

Great for a budget concious person.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                        From my experiences, I would suggest a test spot.
                        The only real way to know what will work the best is to test a couple different products and inspect your results... that's because you just never know how a paint you've never worked on before will react to polishing.

Good advice but it does mean you have to have a few products in your arsenal to be able to test...

That's the way it goes...

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');