• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

105 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 105 help

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I puchase 105 from ADS. I've tried it on clear coat and single stage paint with a PFW pad and every time I use it the finish is not what I'm expecting, it's hazy. So I decided to try OTC 3M 39002 rubbing compound with PFW and it finished down excellent. I've tried working the 105 very fast, still poor results next I tried working until it's gone, still with poor results. In both case I then went to M83 and then Menz Nano FF. The 3M side finished out better.It must be me because too many people are having great results with 105. Thanks in advance.

Re: 105 help

What is PFW?
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
      What is PFW?
      Purple Foamed Wool

Edit: A few links for your browsing pleasure... Lake Country & ADS
      Scott

Comment

What speed are you polishing at? Are you still polishing once the product has dried?
        If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by taki0187 View Post
          Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I puchase 105 from ADS. I've tried it on clear coat and single stage paint with a PFW pad and every time I use it the finish is not what I'm expecting, it's hazy. So I decided to try OTC 3M 39002 rubbing compound with PFW and it finished down excellent. I've tried working the 105 very fast, still poor results next I tried working until it's gone, still with poor results. In both case I then went to M83 and then Menz Nano FF. The 3M side finished out better.It must be me because too many people are having great results with 105. Thanks in advance.
          Maybe try a different kind of pad.
          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I've been polishing @ about 1200 rpm's until the product is just about gone. I have also tried at slower speeds and not as long. Still poor results. At slower speed and shorter time it won't remove 1500 sanding marks where as the 3M did and finished down very nice. TIA

Comment

Bad bottle?

Comment

We need more info, what are you polishing with? (scratch that, I saw your other reply mentioning rotary speeds)

What are you polishing it on? (ie car)

Pics?

I used M105 with PFW almost exclusively as my cutting weapon and couldn't possibly be happier.

You mentioned the final results not being what you want after you did 2 more steps, rather than what happens when the first step (ie when you use M105) is done. Did I read that wrong? If not, then I don't think the M105 is the issue...maybe the combo of steps following it are not working.

Give us some more info so we can try and figure this out for you...

Comment

I guess I'm going through the learning curve. I used 105 on a 1980 Trans Am trunk, when compared 105 and 3M rubbing compound side by side the 3M side was noticably clearer/sharper. Same results on an Inferno Red Dodge Caravan.

Comment

I guess I'm going through the learning curve. I used 105 on a 1980 Trans Am trunk, when compared 105 and 3M rubbing compound side by side the 3M side was noticably clearer/sharper. Same results on an Inferno Red Dodge Caravan.
                    That should not be the case so it is possible it is learning curve. Considering you have ventured outside Meguiar's procedure by using PFW, and some people swear by PFW and 105 and other swear at it, I would eliminate that variable by going to Meguiar's recommended wool. Only if official process does not work it is time to wonder.

Comment

Your experience is definitely the exception because that's not the kind of field results we obtained for months testing against 3M products and its not the kind of results we ever see at any of our classes, including our Car Care 101 class, our Advanced Car Care 201 classes, (Which is all about sanding and buffing), nor at any of our Thursday Night Classes and we use M105 all the time.

My own experience with M105 with both wool and foam cutting pads is nothing short of amazing.

So we need to help you to tweak your technique or even perhaps switch you to a quality wool cutting pad or even our W5500 Dual Sided Wool Cutting pad.

Like already mentioned, it's time to start removing the variables.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Moved out of "How To Articles" and into Professional Line

Please don't post threads in any of the forums groups in the Information Station, if you're unsure where to post a question, please post it to our Detailing 101 forum.

Thank you!

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Mike,
                          Between M105 with hand vs M83 with DA, which one will have more cut and will remove better finish. I've a PC and plans to buy M80+83 combo. So, if M105 with hand still have more cut than 83, I would buy some and repair some deep scratches where M83 can't do the repair.

Thanks

Comment

M105 by hand will have more cut than just about anything with a DA because you can exert more pressure to a smaller area with your finger tips pushing down on some type of applicator pad than you can with a DA because the pressure on the DA will be spread out over the entire face of the foam pad.

Do a search using the term

exert

I've written on this topic numerous times and use the word exert, thus you can find more detailed information on this buy using that word as a search term.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I've been polishing @ about 1200 rpm's until the product is just about gone. I have also tried at slower speeds and not as long. Still poor results. At slower speed and shorter time it won't remove 1500 sanding marks where as the 3M did and finished down very nice. TIA
                              Here's the way I use M105.

Put some on the paint, use speed 1 to spread it out...about 600 rpm
                              Move up to speed 2 to make 3-4 passes 900 rpm
                              Move to speed 3 and make 3-4 passes 1500 rpm
                              Move back to speed 2 and make 2-3 passes 900 rpm
                              Wipe with a micro fiber towel and check results.

I have been using the W400 pad
                              AeroCleanse, LLC
                              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');