• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to best clean / remove caked on material from W-7006 Cutting Pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to best clean / remove caked on material from W-7006 Cutting Pad?

Hi folks,

I'm using the W-7006 cutting pad with great results on the heavily cobwebbed finish of my 1987 Buick Grand National (they're all black!), but am starting to see more hazing as I my move past the first two panels (hood and front quarter panel).

I've been taking spent material off the pad with a microfiber and gently scrubbing with a fine plastic brush (machine off, I'm using a porter cable RA), but a ring of material has caked up that I can't easily remove it.

I'm a novice with cutting pads like this and any thoughts are appreciated. I'll get a second (or third!) pad, but would like to make some more progress this weekend.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: How to best clean / remove caked on material from W-7006 Cutting Pad?

What product are you using?

And for what its worth:

Cutting Pad with the PC?

Of course that link is for the 7006 pad, the newer ones I believe are recomended with a PC as they are a little different formula.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: How to best clean / remove caked on material from W-7006 Cutting Pad?

I'm using Poor Boy's SSR 3 for this step-- it's their heavier compound.

Worked beautifully in my test patch when followed by a polish, but as I noted I'm getting a little hazing as I move around the car now-- I think thanks to a caked up pad.

I've seen references to both using a stiff nylon brush on the pad while being rotated on the machine and using Dawn Power remover. Any additional thoughts welcome. I'll likely just order an additional pad or two, but will need to clean them at the end of the job.

And thanks for the link-- I actually tried that Meguiars polishing pad in my test patch with SSR 2.5. Took about half of the scratches & cobwebbing out (even after a 2nd pass), which is why I went with the cutting pad. The cutting pad is also used in what is, I think, a very helpful online video series on using the PC for various blemish types.

Scott
      Last edited by Scott GN231; Jul 20, 2008, 04:34 AM. Reason: typo fix

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');