• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#105 vs. #95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #105 vs. #95

I need to know the differences between these two so I can decide which to buy. The have almost identical labels and discriptions.

Please........

Thanks.
    www.clean4udetailing.com

Re: #105 vs. #95

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
      I need to know the differences between these two so I can decide which to buy. The have almost identical labels and discriptions.

Please........

Thanks.
      Meguiar's M105 is the high-Tech of the two, and tends to finish down much finer, leaving a better finish. The M95 is more for the old school guys that want an excellent compound but at a lower cost, but it does not finish down as fine as the M105.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Great! I'd rather pay a bit more.

Can anyone who have tested M105, tell us how fast it works? In terms of cleaning / levelling clearcoat / paint. A Net pal of mine, who loves polishing too, have been telling me a lot about Scholl Concepts products. Apparently the compounds from this co. works very fast, about a minute is enough for around 2" x 2".

But if M105 works the same, or better with the same or shorter time, I'll go the MG route anytime. Having a local distributor here helps too! Sadly, they told me, the earliest is March 2008, and worst case scenario.... June 2008! Argh! We got UQD about a month or so after it was launched. But M21 16oz, we got it about half a year after launching...

Apparently...they told me shipping to Malaysia is controlled by MG US...oh I don't know. Or is it because our local importer is a bit lazy...

Sorry for the rant. Mod can edit my post... I'm just so sad because ADS already have these products i stock....

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
        Meguiar's M105 is the high-Tech of the two, and tends to finish down much finer, leaving a better finish. The M95 is more for the old school guys that want an excellent compound but at a lower cost, but it does not finish down as fine as the M105.

Tim
        yep, so little posts, 'cause you guys have have made it easier for me, thanks!

Comment

I see that ADS has this available TODAY!!!

30.00 for a quart sounds like a deal. Especially when I've been paying 50.00+ for Menzerna.
          www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post

Tim
            So.......
            105 can be used from start to finish. Just maybe change out the pads and you're set?

This is too good to be true.
            LOL!
            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by poyo View Post
              Great! I'd rather pay a bit more.

Can anyone who have tested M105, tell us how fast it works? In terms of cleaning / leveling clearcoat / paint.

A Net pal of mine, who loves polishing too, have been telling me a lot about Scholl Concepts products. Apparently the compounds from this co. works very fast, about a minute is enough for around 2" x 2".
              Just to point out, it's real easy to make an aggressive and fast cutting compound, heck we have these in our Mold Release Line for removing #600 grit sanding marks out of epoxy molds, if used on an automotive finish it would level the paint off the car right down to bare metal.

So there's more to making a good compound than adding some aggressive, fast cutting abrasives to some kind of carrying-agent. Remember, for most of us the goal is always more than working fast, it's about creating a masterpiece, that's where polishing paint becomes an art form. M105 cuts fast and then polishes out leaving a very nice finish. It will still need at least a second polishing step to remove swirls instilled by the rotary buffer, (anything rotating on the surface of paint is always likely to leave circular scratches that show up as buffer swirls or holograms in good lighting), and your cutting pad.

I've only used the M105 on the Joker Hood, this was cured paint, not fresh and not soft. We finished the hood with the Abralon #4000 grit foam sanding pads and used the M105 with a wool cutting pad to remove the sanding marks. It took two applications of product for each section we buffed to completely remove all sanding marks, not just make the paint shiny again. (There's a huge difference).

As always the best thing for people to do is to test our product against whatever product they're currently using or thinking of going with and make up your own mind based upon your real-world experience actually using both products.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                So.......
                105 can be used from start to finish. Just maybe change out the pads and you're set?
                Depends upon who you are and what your goals are. Remember,

This is a product primarily made for?

(This is a test, see if you can answer the question correctly)

Body shops don't normally shoot for the kind of results the people on this forum and forums like MOL are always talking about. Body shops, for the most part are "Production Shops", the goal is to paint the car and not have to buff it at all. If the car has to be buffed these guys want a cutting compound that will remove the sanding marks quickly and look good enough kick out the door. These criteria do not equal the criteria of the people that hang out on a forum like this.

See the difference?

Is it a great product? You bet it is. For absolute swirl free results does M105 need to be followed with secondary polishing steps? Yes, if you want swirl free results in any kind of lighting conditions.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Body Shops? For removing wet-sanding scratches...
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Before - Machine sanded with the Mirka Abralon System, first with #1000, then #2000, and finishing with #4000

After - This is just the M105 Compound using a wool cutting pad, not other polishing done to the paint at the time this photo was taken.

Not bad for an AGGRESSIVE CUTTING COMPOUND and a WOOL CUTTING PAD
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

We test, test, test....

So you get the best, best, BEST!

I finished this car with M105, G100 orbital, & a W9006... WOW!
                      Topped with M81 Hand Polish and M16 Paste Wax.
                      Last edited by Kevin Brown; Dec 19, 2007, 09:55 PM. Reason: incorrect part #... M81 instead of M80
                      Kevin Brown
                      NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Can't wait to get hold of a gallon of M105!
                        SYDSTER

Comment

Thank you for your clarification sir. Understand M105 will need a softer polish afterwards ( but with a rotary or a DA / ROB? ).

Just to point out, it's real easy to make an aggressive and fast cutting compound, heck we have these in our Mold Release Line for removing #600 grit sanding marks out of epoxy molds, if used on an automotive finish it would level the paint off the car right down to bare metal.

So there's more to making a good compound than adding some aggressive, fast cutting abrasives to some kind of carrying-agent. Remember, for most of us the goal is always more than working fast, it's about creating a masterpiece, that's where polishing paint becomes an art form. M105 cuts fast and then polishes out leaving a very nice finish. It will still need at least a second polishing step to remove swirls instilled by the rotary buffer, (anything rotating on the surface of paint is always likely to leave circular scratches that show up as buffer swirls or holograms in good lighting), and your cutting pad.

I've only used the M105 on the Joker Hood, this was cured paint, not fresh and not soft. We finished the hood with the Abralon #4000 grit foam sanding pads and used the M105 with a wool cutting pad to remove the sanding marks. It took two applications of product for each section we buffed to completely remove all sanding marks, not just make the paint shiny again. (There's a huge difference).

As always the best thing for people to do is to test our product against whatever product they're currently using or thinking of going with and make up your own mind based upon your real-world experience actually using both products.

Body shops don't normally shoot for the kind of results the people on this forum and forums like MOL are always talking about. Body shops, for the most part are "Production Shops", the goal is to paint the car and not have to buff it at all. If the car has to be buffed these guys want a cutting compound that will remove the sanding marks quickly and look good enough kick out the door. These criteria do not equal the criteria of the people that hang out on a forum like this.

See the difference?

Is it a great product? You bet it is. For absolute swirl free results does M105 need to be followed with secondary polishing steps? Yes, if you want swirl free results in any kind of lighting conditions.
                          How long did you had to work in the M105 + rotary to finsih up the front bonnet up to the 2nd pic?
                          Before - Machine sanded with the Mirka Abralon System, first with #1000, then #2000, and finishing with #4000

After - This is just the M105 Compound using a wool cutting pad, not other polishing done to the paint at the time this photo was taken.

Not bad for an AGGRESSIVE CUTTING COMPOUND and a WOOL CUTTING PAD
                          Again, mind telling us how long M105 took to finish this front bonnet, up to bfr the 2nd milder polishing step ( M80 )?
                          Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                          We test, test, test....

So you get the best, best, BEST!

I finished this car with M105, G100 orbital, & a W9006... WOW!
                          Topped with M80 Hand Polish and M16 Paste Wax.

Comment

Meguiar's DOES NOT RECOMMEND M105 for use with a random-orbital machine.

Although it is NOT recommended for use with a random-orbital, I had much success using M105, a G100, and a W9006 tan pad, on this particular car.

As a professional (I've been detailing for well over twenty years, and used Meguiar's for over thirty years.), if I decide to use a product in a manner that goes against the recommendation set forth by Meguiar's, I realize that any detrimental effects of doing so are ENTIRELY MY RESPONSIBILITY.

It's my belief that anyone using the PROFESSIONAL Mirror Glaze line of Meguiar's products should be an enthusiast of car care, and as such, have a grasp on the philosophy that paint-systems can react differently to similar products and processes.

M105 requires a very specific application technique to realize results worthy of a final-polish. I'd rather not post the specifics, as I do not wish to circumvent the recommendations of Meguiar's.

My suggestion to that anyone interested in M105 is to first use it as intended- That is, applied via hand and/or rotary application. Once you've experienced it firsthand, you'll be better educated on its abilities.

You will love its flexibility.

FYI- I DID NOT follow up with any other machine-applied polish.
                            I DID use M81 Hand Polish, however, as I feel that it leaves the paint as clean and fresh as it will ever get before applying a wax.

The moment paint is exposed to air, it immediately starts to degrade. The oils in Hand Polish remove any fresh oxidation, leave a micro-fine coating of protection until a wax or polymer is applied.
                            Last edited by Kevin Brown; Dec 19, 2007, 10:11 PM. Reason: change M80 to M81
                            Kevin Brown
                            NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Thank you for more insight on M105 sir, it is greatly appreciated. Hand application!!! How is the cut compared to Scratch X? Much faster?

This makes me more and more impatient to get M105!

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                              Meguiar's DOES NOT RECOMMEND M105 for use with a random-orbital machine.

Although it is NOT recommended for use with a random-orbital, I had much success using M105, a G100, and a W9006 tan pad, on this particular car.

As a professional (I've been detailing for well over twenty years, and used Meguiar's for over thirty years.), if I decide to use a product in a manner that goes against the recommendation set forth by Meguiar's, I realize that any detrimental effects of doing so are ENTIRELY MY RESPONSIBILITY.

It's my belief that anyone using the PROFESSIONAL Mirror Glaze line of Meguiar's products should be an enthusiast of car care, and as such, have a grasp on the philosophy that paint-systems can react differently to similar products and processes.

M105 requires a very specific application technique to realize results worthy of a final-polish. I'd rather not post the specifics, as I do not wish to circumvent the recommendations of Meguiar's.

My suggestion to that anyone interested in M105 is to first use it as intended- That is, applied via hand and/or rotary application. Once you've experienced it firsthand, you'll be better educated on its abilities.

You will love its flexibility.

FYI- I DID NOT follow up with any other machine-applied polish.
                              I DID use M81 Hand Polish, however, as I feel that it leaves the paint as clean and fresh as it will ever get before applying a wax.

The moment paint is exposed to air, it immediately starts to degrade. The oils in Hand Polish remove any fresh oxidation, leave a micro-fine coating of protection until a wax or polymer is applied.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');