• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The difference between #9 vs. #82 vs. Body Scrub vs. MPPC vs. ScratchX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between #9 vs. #82 vs. Body Scrub vs. MPPC vs. ScratchX

I've been using Meguiar's products for a couple of years and I love the results I get with everything I try. I want to try #81 Hand Polish followed by NXT on my Silver '92 Saturn with some light swirls, noticeable only in bright sunlight.

But what should I prep with? Specifically, what are the exact differences between the following products in terms of abrasiveness and effectiveness when hand applied? Some of the FAQ's advise the use of a cleaner but then list a few of the products on my list. Why should I choose one over the other?

DC1
    Body Scrub
    MPPC
    ScratchX

(And how does DC1 remove swirls if it is non-abrasive??)

Hi thejazzguy,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

You can find a wealth of information by reading some of the posts in the Detailing 101 forum

As to your specific questions,

Originally posted by thejazzguy
    I've been using Meguiar's products for a couple of years and I love the results I get with everything I try. I want to try #81 Hand Polish followed by NXT on my Silver '92 Saturn with some light swirls, noticeable only in bright sunlight.

But what should I prep with? Specifically, what are the exact differences between the following products in terms of abrasiveness and effectiveness when hand applied? Some of the FAQ's advise the use of a cleaner but then list a few of the products on my list. Why should I choose one over the other?

DC1
    Body Scrub
    MPPC
    ScratchX

(And how does DC1 remove swirls if it is non-abrasive??)
    Meguiar's philosophy states,

Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

In you list above, you have paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes. You can learn more about the differences in these two categories of products here,

7. What's the difference between polish and wax? (Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle)

The 5-step Paint Care Cycle goes into the difference between paint cleaners, cleaner/polishes and pure polishes.

DC1 = Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner - Gentle paint cleaner, relies on chemical cleaning action only. This is a great paint cleaner for times when you only need a light paint cleaner, such as cleaning the finish on a new car, or a newer paint job. You asked how this product can remove swirls if it’s only a chemical cleaner? Part of the cleaning ability of any product comes from the application material and process. The combination of chemical cleaner, application material and the application process, (working the product into and over the finish), can have a cleaning effect for fine swirls and scratches.

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0 - Cleaner/Polish - Best results are achieved by machine, but used by hand it works great as a very gentle paint cleaner and polish in one product.

#82 Swirl Free Polish - Very similar to #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 except that it offers a little more aggressiveness in its cleaning ability.

Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub – This is a paint cleaner and as the name implies it was formulated for use for clear coat finishes but it works equally as well on single stage finishes. Body Scrub uses both diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners, and offers more cleaning ability than Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner.

MPPC = Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner – As the name implies, this is a paint cleaner. It uses both diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners. MPPC offers a little more cleaning ability than Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub, it was formulated for use on single stage finishes but can be used and works great on clear coat finishes also. This paint cleaner can be applied by hand or machine.

ScratchX - Paint Cleaner. Formulated for use by hand on clear coat finishes. Uses both diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners.

Meguiar's teaches to first evaluate the surface, and then choose the appropriate product to get the job done using the least aggressive product.

If your doing all of you work by hand, if your working on a clear coat finish, and your car's finish only has light swirls and scratches, then ScratchX applied by hand using a clean, foam applicator would be a good first choice.

You could follow the ScratchX with the #81 Hand Polish, or even the Deep Crystal Polish, which will be easier to find, and then apply the NXT Tech Wax.

Hope this helps…

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

which one is more aggressive? body scrub or scratch X

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');