• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#81 Hand Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

Yes, Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze was designed for Single Stage paint where as the Meg's 80 series of products were made with BC/CC in mind. Yet, I am surprised that you see a significant difference between the #81 and the #7.

I too have not had any streaking problems with applying the NXT Tech Wax. Perhaps as 2000 suggested, use the PC to apply an even, and thin coat, then see if you still have the problem. Be sure to remove the NXT with a MF Bonnet over the clean W-8006 Pad! You will be amazed at the difference!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: #81 Hand Polish

Originally posted by 2000
      Did you apply nxt with pc? I never had a streaking issue and I'm wondering if maybe there was a slight film of #81 still left? just a thought. I ussally take a mf and do a light swipe after I did entire car just out of habit from when I used #7. now I use a pc and I think you'll agree that you can put a better and thinner coat of product down than by hand. it would be interesting to know if you have that problem when (if) you do #81 with a pc.
      keep me posted please.
      I've applied NXT by hand & PC too...It streaked just a little with either application method.

It does this with or without #81...The 1st time I used NXT (By hand), it streaked, but the streaks disappeared overnight.

Now, I'm mainly talking about the hood area of the vehicle, since it gets the most attention from me anyway...This is the area where I like to pass judgement on a product, because it's easier to work on the finish here, and easier to see any defects too....And I did use a MF to remove any leftovers of #82, or #81.

Today, I detailed the wifes Caravan with #82, #81, & NXT (Ever since she saw how good #81 looked, she said, "I want that stuff all over my car too!")...So I obliged her

I finished up with #82, and decided to apply #81 with a PC/W-8006 combo on the 4 1/2 setting......Mistake! The product seemed to gum up a little on the finish, and it was hard to remove it all, even with a MF!

So this time, I decided to use a new W-9006 pad on the 4 setting but the gumming got a little worse (When I say gumming, I mean something about the size of a tiny drop of tree sap, scattered out in places).

Time was moving on, so I went back to a Hi-Tech (Hand) applicator pad to apply #81 with (With no problems)...I'm beginning to think that Meg's pure polishes don't like to be worked into the paint as well as cleaners do?...Maybe I should have tried a much slower speed than 4 too.
      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
        Hey,

Yes, Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze was designed for Single Stage paint where as the Meg's 80 series of products were made with BC/CC in mind. Yet, I am surprised that you see a significant difference between the #81 and the #7.

I too have not had any streaking problems with applying the NXT Tech Wax. Perhaps as 2000 suggested, use the PC to apply an even, and thin coat, then see if you still have the problem. Be sure to remove the NXT with a MF Bonnet over the clean W-8006 Pad! You will be amazed at the difference!

Tim
        I'll have to do a comparison test between #7, & #81, sometime soon.

I got turned off with #7 after having application problems with it while using a PC...So it has been sitting unused for the most part.
        For some reason, I can apply it by hand with no problems...Go figure

I don't have a MF bonnet yet....As far as streaking is concerned, it doesn't seem to be a big problem yet, since the streaks seem to disappear after 24 hrs.

Edit: I just tried Final Detail today as a clay lube...It seems to do a good job, though I've noticed that it leaves streaks behind when using clay from the Quik Clay system...The clay doesn't streak, but the Final Detail does.

Have you had this problem with FD as a clay lube?
        Last edited by rusty bumper; May 11, 2004, 10:32 PM.
        r. b.

Comment

Re: #81 Hand Polish

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper 81 gives a very rich, warm look to the paint with plenty of gloss...I think it makes the finish look better than new.

#81 will always be included in my detail jobs from now on!

This stuff is awesome![/B]
          RB,

I've been topping #81 with the NXT Tech wax, by hand, and the depth to the finish is unreal even compared to using the NXT without a polish. I agree completely, #81 is my favorite polish.

I mentioned in another post, I found the "sea mist greeen" within the stated color on my finish this weekend after using that combo! I still can't believe it!
          Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Thanks for all your invaluable comments on #7 v #81. it appears #81 is the choice of most.

i think i will order some - the wife is going to go made with my recent expenditure on Megs products but sometimes its easy to ask for forgiveness than for permission !!!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: #81 Hand Polish

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
              I've applied NXT by hand & PC too...It streaked just a little with either application method.

It does this with or without #81...The 1st time I used NXT (By hand), it streaked, but the streaks disappeared overnight.

Now, I'm mainly talking about the hood area of the vehicle, since it gets the most attention from me anyway...This is the area where I like to pass judgement on a product, because it's easier to work on the finish here, and easier to see any defects too....And I did use a MF to remove any leftovers of #82, or #81.

Today, I detailed the wifes Caravan with #82, #81, & NXT (Ever since she saw how good #81 looked, she said, "I want that stuff all over my car too!")...So I obliged her

I finished up with #82, and decided to apply #81 with a PC/W-8006 combo on the 4 1/2 setting......Mistake! The product seemed to gum up a little on the finish, and it was hard to remove it all, even with a MF!

So this time, I decided to use a new W-9006 pad on the 4 setting but the gumming got a little worse (When I say gumming, I mean something about the size of a tiny drop of tree sap, scattered out in places).

Time was moving on, so I went back to a Hi-Tech (Hand) applicator pad to apply #81 with (With no problems)...I'm beginning to think that Meg's pure polishes don't like to be worked into the paint as well as cleaners do?...Maybe I should have tried a much slower speed than 4 too.
              sorry to hear you had problems, #81 is the only product that I personally HAVEN"T had a problem with gumming up. When I use it, it always breaks down to a translucute oil. could there of been some contanimates left that #82 couldn't of gotten, and #81 was "grabbing" onto? maybe try to clay an area and do you're steps over and see if that changes the out come. I usally use 4 on my speed also, so I think you can rule that out. maybe try alittle less on the pad first.
              as for the nxt streaking, it did happen to me once, but I ruled that as being cold as it was 30* outside and with my heater in the garage it was a balmy 50*, but it has not occured sence. maybe it was more of a humidity thing (or lack of)?
              I know for me, I have a hard time with #83 gumming up, but I know its my technique, as I am getting much better with it and most others don't have this problem. one last thought, how hard are you trying to work it into the paint? I don't push hard at all with this step. keep trying for me, as I am curious as to what you find out. good luck!
              Last edited by 2000; May 12, 2004, 05:12 AM.
              2019 GMC Sierra
              1500 AT4

Comment

Hey RB,

I too am at a loss as to why the streaking is occuring for you. I have not had a single problem like you describe.

As for the #81 being applied with a PC, I have always used the W-9006 Finishing Pad with this step. Did you prime the pad with a large, healthy "X" of product? After that, I just apply a thin line of product around the pad. I usually apply it at 3-4 for speed. There is no need to work the product in as it does not clean or break down. Just apply with over-lapping strokes to a given area and then remove. The pad you are using, was it used for anything else? Perhaps try a fresh dedicated pad and see if that makes a difference.

Don't worry RB, together we will figure it out!

Tim

ps. I am in the process of contacting a Denon rep I know regarding a conversation we have had previously.

Comment

sorry to hear you had problems, #81 is the only product that I personally HAVEN"T had a problem with gumming up. When I use it, it always breaks down to a translucute oil. could there of been some contanimates left that #82 couldn't of gotten, and #81 was "grabbing" onto? maybe try to clay an area and do you're steps over and see if that changes the out come.
                  I forgot to mention that I had clayed the entire car before applying #82. Whenever I try to buff #7, or #81 with a PC, the product residue has a tacky feel to it...It doesn't break down into a translucent oil at all...I don't try to buff it in like a cleaner by using pressure on the buffer....Instead, I try to use gentle overlapping passes.
                  I know for me, I have a hard time with #83 gumming up,
                  I haven't had a problem with #83 gumming up yet.
                  r. b.

Comment

I too am at a loss as to why the streaking is occuring for you. I have not had a single problem like you describe.
                    At the moment, I'm not too concerned with the streaking issue Tim...As a matter of fact, the streaks have to be viewed at certain angles in order to see them, but they are not that pronounced...Someone else might miss them altogether, and they tend to go away after awhile.
                    As for the #81 being applied with a PC, I have always used the W-9006 Finishing Pad with this step. Did you prime the pad with a large, healthy "X" of product? After that, I just apply a thin line of product around the pad. I usually apply it at 3-4 for speed. There is no need to work the product in as it does not clean or break down. Just apply with over-lapping strokes to a given area and then remove. The pad you are using, was it used for anything else? Perhaps try a fresh dedicated pad and see if that makes a difference.
                    I 1st used a W-8006 pad that had been only used for #7, and had dried out completely...I scrubed it with a brush to clean out the dried out #7 residue before using.

Next, I used a brand new W-9006 pad on the 4 setting, but this seemed to make things a little worse as far as gumming is concerned...The residue was hard to remove, even with a MF.

I applied an "X" of product to the pads, but not as much as I would use when priming a pad with a cleaner.

I also noticed that the #81 tended to separate just a little bit...It had some oil sitting on top in the see through ketchup bottle (Is this normal?)...I always made sure that I shaked up the bottle before applying it.

In spite of it all, the van came out beautiful in the end.

Thanks for following up on the Denon issue
                    r. b.

Comment

Follow up question...

Is it normal for #81 to have some partial separation...I noticed that some of the oils tend to float to the top after the bottle sits unused for a few minutes.
                      r. b.

Comment

Hey RB,

As far as I know, the separation should not be happening especially within a few minutes. I think you may have got a bad bottle or one that had froze. I would call Meguiar's and let them know about the problem. I am sure that they will take care of you!

Please keep us posted!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');