• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ultimate Wax

Originally posted by Blue Apollo IV View Post
    I sure hope they don't mess with NXT 2.0 in any way.

It's clear to me that Ultimate wax needs reworked from the folks at Meguiars. This first go 'round has major issues. Please don't anyone tell me that you just have to "learn" to use it...there are far too many people reporting the same streaking, oily residue, etc. issues to be just a few people that don't know what they're doing. I know that's what the Meguiars apologists would say...but it's simply at this point, an overhyped product that falls way short of what it should do.
    My bottle of NXT 2.0 is almost empty and I was going to buy and try UW, but there have been just too many problems posted on this Forum. I'm now going to replace NXT2.0 with another bottle of NXT 2.0! In reality, I have no reason to switch anyway. Maybe there are posts somewhere on the Forum that lists the definitive reasons to switch to UW, but I believe the jury is still out. I'll wait for the final verdict.

Comment

I bought UW liquid and have not had a single issue with it. I've used it in 98 degree temps and 90% humidity as well as 45 degree temps and dry conditions. I've never encountered sterling issues.

UW advantages:
      Can be applied in full sun.
      Can be used on the WHOLE vehicle, paint, glass and vinyl trim.
      Doesn't stain vinyl trim.
      Meg's most durable protectant.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

One more time....

Originally posted by zbestwun2001 View Post
        will it make a beige car look that much different that the deep crystal carnuba.
        It is freshly painted...(2 months ago) One stage paint job, FYI

Comment

One more time....
          IMO, UW will look slightly glossier or wetter with UW. Not a great deal better but noticeable especially after the sealant has cured. But UW will offer better protection.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
            UW paste is easier to use than NXT2 paste. It spreads easier, thinner, and much further.
            I think ultimate wax is already available here but at the moment its only available at the main distributor, at the same time you asy its easier to apply than nxt 2.0, I'm so close to being convinced in getting myself the ultimate paste wax. I love the ease of nxt liquid, the paste just seems to "drag" a bit more. If you don't use much paste on the applicator, it feels "dry" and diificult to spread. Use to much, and it becomes a bit easier to spread but tends to build up.. HOwever, same thing.. with paste, ZERO streaking. Your experience with UW paste is probably the most convincing I've read. Thanks for sharing, at the same time, no thanks for giving me a reason to get this utlimate wax!

With the advent of these newer synthetics, i'm still a big fan (or even a bigger fan) of paste carnuaba waxes... I still have collinite 476s and qm-101 dupont CARe carnauba wax. Can't comment on its durability, I've read its comparable to insulator wax 845. Seems much easier to use than collinite.

I'll get my hands on UW paste, thanks for your valuable inputs.
            Last edited by ffboy; Aug 11, 2011, 11:26 PM. Reason: wrong info

Comment

One more time....
              If i may be of help, i believe any wax will add more to paint regardless of color. In general, wax/sealants will all add an element of depth, gloss, reflectivity and wetness. It will look just a bit different. Noticeable especially at certain light intensities and angles. It won't be that dramatic, but more of "hmm... the something a bit different with the shine.. or could it just be me?" type of difference. You may notice a bit more brightness with Ult. wax especially in areas near the car's corners/edges and it may have a thinner, glassier look with approximately the same depth as deep crystal carnauba. My experience with deep crystal carnauba is that it gives a wet kind of gloss.

If you do get around to trying ultimate wax, now you have an opportunity to have som fun. You can do your own comparo.. On a panel, you can divide it into 3parts... on area 1, DC carnauba, area2: ultimate wax, area 3: ultimate wax topped with deep crystal carnauba. YOu can compare or get a clearer picture on which has the best durability or looks..

Comment

As a followup, I redid just my hood the other night when it wasn't so humid, the product did come off a bit easier, but it was a still a PITA to get it all off. I'll use up the rest of this bottle on my Passat, then I'll go back to #21, UW is just too expensive and tempermental for me.

Comment

I like the art of polishing. I like UW because although it feels like I barely have enough on my pad when applying, it really lasts. One time I had hazing, I was in a hurry and laid it on like I do M26 or M21. Applied it too thick, left it on too long. Not for the tempermental.
                  Last edited by Jossy92; Aug 13, 2011, 06:10 AM. Reason: typo
                  Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                  by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                    IMO, UW will look slightly glossier or wetter with UW. Not a great deal better but noticeable especially after the sealant has cured. But UW will offer better protection.
                    Originally posted by ffboy View Post
                    I think ultimate wax is already available here but at the moment its only available at the main distributor, at the same time you asy its easier to apply than nxt 2.0, I'm so close to being convinced in getting myself the ultimate paste wax. I love the ease of nxt liquid, the paste just seems to "drag" a bit more. If you don't use much paste on the applicator, it feels "dry" and diificult to spread. Use to much, and it becomes a bit easier to spread but tends to build up.. HOwever, same thing.. with paste, ZERO streaking. Your experience with UW paste is probably the most convincing I've read. Thanks for sharing, at the same time, no thanks for giving me a reason to get this utlimate wax!

With the advent of these newer synthetics, i'm still a big fan (or even a bigger fan) of paste carnuaba waxes... I still have collinite 476s and qm-101 dupont CARe carnauba wax. Can't comment on its durability, I've read its comparable to insulator wax 845. Seems much easier to use than collinite.

I'll get my hands on UW paste, thanks for your valuable inputs.
                    Thanks....

Comment

I've used Ultimate Wax liquid a few times now and so far so good no streaking at all on a silver paint. I'm really liking this wax so far.

Comment

After my first bad experience with UW (applying it to the entire car before wiping off), I decided to give it another shot this morning, working panel by panel and wiping it off in 3-5 minutes as Mike suggested. It was still hit or miss. Some panels turned out great, but others streaked pretty badly. Even though I'm getting a better feel for what I need to do to make this product work, it's just not worth the trouble. After letting the UW cure for several hours, I went back and topped it with a coat of NXT2.0, which didn't streak at all, and wiped off easier than the UW. Even better, I could actually see where I had and had not applied sealant.

I really hope Meguiar's tweaks the UW forumla. I like not having to worry about turning my plastic trim white when using it, but NXT is so much easier to work with that I'll be sticking with that product (or M21) for the foreseeable future. Considering that I wax my car every three to four weeks (and use UQW after washes in between), any extra durability that UW has over NXT isn't much of a selling point for me.

Comment

I read somewhere that old timers would apply the paste wax by hand, wait for it to haze, than sprinkle some talc/ baby powder onto the DA/ buffer and buff out the haze. Says the talc acts as a very fine polish and the shine you get is unbelievable.

Not sure if it's just an urban legend or if anyone here has actually tried it.

Any thoughts/ recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
                            For anyone struggling with drying issues when using the liquid version of Ultimate Wax, we would like to reiterate that this issue is most easily remedied by wiping off the product sooner rather than later. We've said this many times, and our Quik Tips Video on UW even instructs this. So rather than wait an hour, or several hours, to wipe off the haze just apply the product to a panel or two and then wipe off after no more than 3 to 5 minutes. A thin coat is key, and if you've worked with the product you know that a little bit can go a very long way indeed. Not only that, but you can work it against the paint for quite some time - ie, continue stretching it over an increasingly large area to achieve a very thin coat.

With the paste version you should still apply to all painted surfaces of the vehicle and allow to dry as per usual.
                            I read somewhere that old timers would apply the paste wax by hand, wait for it to haze, than sprinkle some talc/ baby powder onto the DA/ buffer and buff out the haze. Says the talc acts as a very fine polish and the shine you get is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Maruzo View Post

I believe it.

Many of these cleaner waxes contain industrial talc as the mechanical component of the "cleaner". Not saying Megs does or doesn't, just that many do. Those type of cleaner waxes stain trim badly!
                              Paul Marmarinos
                              Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
                              "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzp3k8Qx6VI&NR=1
                                watched the video .. honestly? result was impressed. but I can not understand one thing, this company does an outstanding do not stand out, for example, Russia is recognized as the cheap brand (or in other words, outsiders) like?! like, tell me to get this result?? I will not believe ever. if they are not poured Meguiar`s into a bottle for a commercial product)))) and note that the application! principle the, interested in such a moment: is it possible to apply the UQW?

Moscow

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');