• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Protectant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ultimate Protectant

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
    I found it at Walmart.
    I read in a thread that Walmart doesn't carry this. I think it came from Mike Pennington too!
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
      I read in a thread that Walmart doesn't carry this. I think it came from Mike Pennington too!
      I bought my last bottle there about two weeks ago.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Question?

What would cause UP to look blotchy or streaky looking after application?

It would seem some over at another Forum are having these issues even after claims that the trim surface was cleaned prior to app and applied sparingly. They also claim that the product is completely gone after one car wash or rainstorm.

I have use this product many times and have not experienced any of these issues.
        2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by fordf150 View Post
          Question?

It would seem some over at another Forum are having these issues even after claims that the trim surface was cleaned prior to app and applied sparingly. They also claim that the product is completely gone after one car wash or rainstorm.

I have use this product many times and have not experienced any of these issues.
          I can only tell you what I did on my vehicles. I cleaned the vinyl with #39 prior to applying UP. I applied UP with a foam pad and wiped it down with a MF after working it in well. After it dried I have seen it last for 5 weeks so far and the vinyl looks new and beads water well.

My old 91 MR2 cowl came back to looking new after application and it still looks like new 2 months later. I'm really pleased with this product. Nothing kept the MR2 cowl looking like new this long.

The RX has textured vinyl and the MR2 cowl is smooth. Both responded to this product with out any blotchiness.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

Check out this joker...

Comment

Similar results here.

I got rear ended by a uninsured motorist and had to replace the chrome bumper on my tacoma. It has those plastic pieces that cover the top side of the bumper. These got treated with aerospace 303 after every wash but they turned grey again after a week or so.

When the repair shop replaced one of the three pieces of plastic it stuck out like thumb that the new piece was black and the others were gray.

I hunted down some ultimate protectant and Advance Auto ($7.50) and applied it. and now for the last 4 weeks all those plastic pieces look the same even though two ofth three pieces are 3 years (South Texas sun) older than the other.

Since by comparison they were making my Undercover tonneau look bad I did it as well. Same results. I went on to do the door handles and mirrors as well. Now all the plastic on the truck looks good as new.

It seemed like I was using a lot but it turns out that I still have about 90% of the bottle left.

The only mild complaint is that it is a little sticky so if you have dust in the air (grass clippings) they will stick to this product. A duster or MF wipe down is all that is needed to remove it though so no big deal compared to the longevity I am getting.

Can't wait to do the interior now.

Comment

Question?

I apply it in a similar motion manner to wax. Wet the foam pad and rub it in in a circuilar motion goieng for a even application. Some areas you really have to scrub in to get it into the texture. Then buff it with a MF cloth. Let that set for a day then apply a second coat in a similar manner. No streaking or blotching for me and I did a whole Undercover Tonneau cover.

Comment

My blotchyness issue had to do with the cloth/terry applicator pad;
                  wiped on and off at the same time. Switched to foam.

Comment

Ultimate Protectant it's the only product which stands rain on my BMW X3 plastic trim. I used Hyper Dressing 1:1 before but it would streak after water attack. Great development. Meguiar's rocks !!!

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                      Ultimate Protectant it's the only product which stands rain on my BMW X3 plastic trim. I used Hyper Dressing 1:1 before but it would streak after water attack. Great development. Meguiar's rocks !!!
                      My experience exactly. I've used a ton of vinyl protectors and they all seemed to run or streak especially in the rain. This one works. It seems to last for a month or more in my experience too.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

They also claim that the product is completely gone after one car wash or rainstorm.
                        This has been my experience too. I was really excited to get this product..thought it would be another home run by Meguiars..but it's by far the most disappointing Meguiars product I've ever had.

It might work well on the interior..but I don't apply things to the interior for most part..but I've tried it on the exterior black plastic trim and it just disappears after a day.

Maybe some of us got a bad batch - I'm not sure. I got it when it first came out. As it stands I highly doubt I'll ever get it again - The Ultimate Quik Wax does a much better job on the exterior trim for me.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowDreamSVT_71 View Post
                          This has been my experience too. I was really excited to get this product..thought it would be another home run by Meguiars..but it's by far the most disappointing Meguiars product I've ever had.

It might work well on the interior..but I don't apply things to the interior for most part..but I've tried it on the exterior black plastic trim and it just disappears after a day.

Maybe some of us got a bad batch - I'm not sure. I got it when it first came out. As it stands I highly doubt I'll ever get it again - The Ultimate Quik Wax does a much better job on the exterior trim for me.
                          What kind of car do you have?

What did you use to clean the trim prior to application?
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by YellowDreamSVT_71 View Post

IMHO, UQW does a really nice job on vinyl, plastic and glass as well as paint. That said I got a good month out of UP including weekly washes and some really heavy rain. This is on both smooth plastic cowling and textured vinyl trim. Hard to argue with one product working an all your surfaces and working well though. Wish UQW came in gallons. While I have had very good results with UP I am sticking with UQW for simplicity.
                            Jim
                            My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                              What kind of car do you have?

What did you use to clean the trim prior to application?
                              I have a 2010 Mustang. I didn't clean the trim initially because nothing was ever applied to it - just gave it washing and applied. I've noticed that it seems to work better on highly neglected surfaces, rather than something that might be considered "brand new".

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                                IMHO, UQW does a really nice job on vinyl, plastic and glass as well as paint. That said I got a good month out of UP including weekly washes and some really heavy rain. This is on both smooth plastic cowling and textured vinyl trim. Hard to argue with one product working an all your surfaces and working well though. Wish UQW came in gallons. While I have had very good results with UP I am sticking with UQW for simplicity.
                                For sure, UQW is one of my favorite products ever...it works fantastic on just about everything except the tires.

I'm going to stick with UQW for ease of use and results as well for the trim and other plastic pieces.

I really thought UP would be a major component in my car care arsenal sort of like how Endurance has solved all of my tire care issues and stopped me from looking for anything else - but it falls short thus far.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');