• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ScratchX 2.0

Hi Gil,
    From what I've read, I'm not that surprised by what you have found about ScratchX 2.0. If you follow this link, you will see that it is designed to be much more aggressive than the original formula.

I know nothing about clear coats on guitars, but if there must be a better product available to you if you can no longer get the original ScratchX. Someone more knowledgeable than me should be able to recommend something.

You could always stock up with the original ScratchX before they get replaced in the stores, I know we have tons of it over here in Canada as the new stuff is just starting to trickle in now.

Jamie

Comment

What about something like this:

Found here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-Meguia...em370144430826
      Paul Marmarinos
      Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
      "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Re: ScratchX 2.0 Scratch-X 2?

Originally posted by gibsonlp View Post
        I thought you might want to know that the new Scratch-X is damaging clearcoats of musical instruments (such as Rickenbacker Guitars & Basses).
        We would be VERY happy if you could continue manufacturing the original formula as well.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, it would be nice if anyone on your forum that lives in the Irvine, California area could bring an instrument with the finish that's the norm to these instruments to one of our Thursday Night "Open Garage" events as we would like to test a few products out that you might be able to use as a replacement for ScratchX 1.0 as it's not coming back since we've introduced the new ScratchX 2.0

I looked up the thread you referenced,

Scratch-X 2?
        http://www.rickresource.com/forum/vi...87310&p=519096

And one of the members suggested stocking up on ScratchX versions previous to ScratchX 2.0 which probably is a pretty good idea if it's been a know good product for the coatings used on these instruments to date.

The target market for this product is automotive clear coats paints and anyone that's used our new ScratchX 2.0 an previous versions on automotive clear coat paints will verify this new formula is in fact progress as it works faster and easier with better results.

Here's the schedule for our Thursday night "Open Garage" classes, these are causal classes where any forum member can come down and work on their car using our entire arsenal of products with Meguiar's staff on hand to help with product selection and correct technique for applying and removing different products.

Thursday Night "Open Classes" for 2009
        2009 Thursday Night "Open Garage" Schedule
        March
        March 19th - First Thursday Night "Open Garage" - Click here to sign-up
        (Daylight Savings Time kicks in on March 14th)

April
        April 2nd - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up
        April 16th - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up

We've had a few people bring instruments down to learn how to remove swirls and scratches by hand and machine and we love the challenge of working on non-automotive projects.

Machine Cleaning and Polishing the scratches out of the back of a Guitar

Now this was really fun, Jonny Zurba brought in his old acoustic, electric guitar and it was really dull, marred, scratched and just downright worn-out looking... so we Meguiarized it!

Note how we used a clean foam applicator pad to prevent any product from getting inside the guitar and getting on the sound pick-up

Nice forum you have over there by the way, interesting in that the Member/Avatar column is on the right side instead of the left side.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: ScratchX 2.0 Luthiers

We start our Thursday Night "Open Garage" classes at the start of Daylight Savings Time, our first class is coming up on March 19th.

Maybe you can share this information about our open garage classes in the above thread on the RickResource.com Forum and let your friends over their know Meguiar's gladly opens our garage doors to the public and we would love to have some Luthiers attend.

We also provide delicious Lamppost Pizza and cold soda pop around 7:00pm at these events.

This first one is also going to be special in that we're going to have a very rare and beautiful 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible at this class to help the owner dial in a system to remove swirls and scratches out of the modern basecoat/clearcoat pant system to restore a true show car finish on this beauty.

1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: ScratchX 2.0 Scratch-X 2?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            interesting in that the Member/Avatar column is on the right side instead of the left side.
            I guess it's because Hebrew is written and read from right to left.
            Paul Marmarinos
            Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
            "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

I have a scratch on my 04' 4Runner door that I can feel with my finger nail. Will patience and effort with 2.0 work on this scratch or do I need something stronger?

Comment

Mike:
                Thank you very much for your response and kind offer to test other products, I will post a message on the forum to see if there are any volunteers in the area, perhaps even Rickenbacker themselves will agree to help, their CEO and many employees are regular visitors in our forum and they are in Santa Ana which is really close afaik.

And as for the panel in our forum being on the right - the theme you see is a modified theme of the original phpbb3 "prosilver" theme which has the panel on the right.
                That has nothing to do with me being an Israeli as there are ~6 Israelis there and more than 3,500 non Israelis.

Thanks again for your offer, I'll keep you posted

Originally posted by JamieR View Post
                You could always stock up with the original ScratchX before they get replaced in the stores, I know we have tons of it over here in Canada as the new stuff is just starting to trickle in now.

Jamie
                Thanks, that's exactly what I plan! luckily a guitar is much smaller than a car, so a few bottles should last me for a while

[quote=Alfisti;286900]What about something like this:

Found on ebay.

Thanks, but Fender's finish != Rickenbacker's finish which is extremly glossy.
                Last edited by Markus Kleis; Feb 26, 2009, 11:16 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

Mike:
                  Thank you very much for your response and kind offer to test other products, I will post a message on the forum to see if there are any volunteers in the area, perhaps even Rickenbacker themselves will agree to help, their CEO and many employees are regular visitors in our forum and they are in Santa Ana which is really close afaik.
                  Cool!

Our Thursday night classes are a lot of fun and we never know what or who's going to show up....

And again, we let the owners try out whatever product they're interested in...

Hard to beat the styling of the classics.... even the tail lights are cool...

Here's Bruce's beautiful hot rod in the "Meguiar's Display Case"

Mike Pennington about to chastise Bruce for improper handling of the buffer cord:

Mike Phillips did a little elbow busting demo of ScratchX on the hood. This is before/after ScratchX (x3), NXT Tech Wax (x1) and just for fun, M16 (x1):

Hood ornament on Bruce's ride. Looks like a little polishing is in order, so I introduced Bruce to NXT All Metal Polysh:

Here he is working that polish in:

And this is how the little lady looked when he was finished:

Full house last night which ended with two cool Fords getting warmed over at Meguiar's Garage!

Before

The pictures of the condition of the paint on both cars shown below is actually how the paint looked all over all the panels on both cars...

The hood and deck-lid look like they were used as workbenches as the the paint was not only dull but filled with RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches everywhere.

After the before photos were taken the cars were brought into Meguiar's Garage and our Transformation Team took over wiping them down and then claying them before we started the paint correction processes.

After

Another landmark night at Meguiar's Garage!

Our transformation team rocked! Both cars came out looking like they have wet paint!

And you never now who's going to stop by...

Barry talking with members of Meguiar's Online....

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hello, new member here. Like Gil, I am also a member of the Rick Resource forum. I moderate the Bass Guitar Section. I'm also one of the many who are concerned about Scratch X being discontinued.
                    I'm in the SoCal area and would be very interested in attending the Thursday night classes. I might even be able to get at least one more member of the Rick Resource forum to attend with me.

Comment

Hi again,
                      I managed to purchase the "original" scratch-X from a UK retailer, however - something looks odd in the label.

It says "Scratch-X" (without 2), but it also says "new and improved"
                      It also says Meguiar's Holland

Is that the original formula or a scratch-X 2 bottle without the new label???

Part number: G10307EU
                      UBA# 5822-0017

Thanks in advance.

Gil.

Comment

There was a second version of ScrathX "1.0". Not sure if/how the label changed.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you,
                          I just wonder if the formula itself has changed or not.

This is how my scratch-X looks like:

B.t.w - does anyone know what is the shelf life of Scratch-X?

Comment

Thank you,
                            I just wonder if the formula itself has changed or not.

This is how my scratch-X looks like:

B.t.w - does anyone know what is the shelf life of Scratch-X?
                            That is the improved formula of ScratchX 1.0. It will not be as aggressive as the new 2.0 formula.

Also, the 1.0 uses a diminishing abrasive that gets less aggressive as you work the product- so make sure you work the product completely for the best possible finish.

As for the shelf life, it should be a few years.

Comment

Ok, I just bought some new Scratch X 2.0 yesterday at Walmart..I didn't know that they have the new and improved formula.

But, now I'm kinda not wanting to use it now, I heard it has abrasives in it now and don't want to ruin the finishes on any of my gear (guitars). Has anyone had any experience with this new stuff? I was using the original formula with great success for a while.

I see a couple from the Rickenbacker forum already posted, so, what is outcome????

Comment

What should the consistency be for ScratchX 2.0? My bottle is a bit more watery than SwirlX.

Overall, I found the product to be 'OK'. There is some dusting on DA. I think I will mostly stick with UC/SwirlX combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');