• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank up/Pop-Top camper trailers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank up/Pop-Top camper trailers?

Hey guys, do you know if this style camper is a gel coat finish, or car paint type of finish or what. Id like to clean ours up but im unsure of what line of product to reach out for. Heres a few pics of ours so you have an idea.

Pics to come shortly...my photobucket isnt working!
    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Re: Crank up/Pop-Top camper trailers?

Just as FYI, you can use paint products on a gel coat, but not gel coat products on paint.

Gel coat is generally harder /thicker, so it needs/can take stronger products. But those products would be too strong for paint.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Unfortunately. it's all over the map, material wise, on pop up campers. My previous two Starcraft models had painted aluminum all around including the roof. The one I have now (a 2005) has a fiberglass roof which means gel coat. Having said that, and as already mentioned, you can just use stuff made for cars.... I like good old A12 cleaner wax and I add a second coat of the nearest can of paste wax. I've also been very happy with Duragloss 501 Marine & R/V Polish (it's a cleaner wax, much like A12) and it works very well on fiberglass as well as regular painted panels. I use it on my car's clear coat wheels and it's quite well spoken of on other detailing forums. I'll reach for whichever bottle is closer when I'm going to do a base layer on the Starcraft when I want some cleaning power.... Megs is available locally so I'll stick with that when the DG 501 runs out. If it turns out you have fiberglass and it's quite chalky..... I'd probably look at a gel coat specific product *IF* a basic cleaner wax won't do the trick. The thing is.... I don't think I've ever seen a pop up that was completely fiberglass.... most are made of a combination of materials so sticking with a paint safe product is the way to go if things are in pretty good shape.

Regards

Christian

Comment

ok....heres the pics i was speaking of earlier, for what its worth, its a 1998 Jayco Eagle 8 camper

Zach Hall

Comment

Looks like an "if you dont know, start with some paint care products", as mentioned above.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well, she's looking quite clean from what I can tell in the pictures. If I had to guess, I'd say that the siding is all painted aluminum sheeting, and with that seam on the roof panel, it very likely painted aluminum as well. I'd go with a cleaner wax such as one of the ones I mentioned previously. No need for special stuff. If you have something like liquid NXT kicking around, you can always use that but I'd go with an inexpensive cleaner wax like A12 and then use the good stuff later if you must.... The thing is, it's going to get dirty with lots of tree sap and the like unless you only camp in the dessert so frequent cleaning/waxing will be needed if you want to keep the exterior looking good, and if you're doing it frequently, why use an expensive wax made to last a long time?

Christian

Comment

ok cool man, thanks!!
              Zach Hall

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');