• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19' foot boat pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19' foot boat pics...

Here's the pics ...The owner said all he is willing to pay is $300

Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
    ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
    (269)650-2242

Re: 19' foot boat pics...

The boat doesn't look all that bad in the pictures.
    Some things to consider.
    1. Is the guy going to be a nitpicker when you are finished?
    2. $300 means to get $50 an hour, you need to get it done in 6 hours. Possible if things go well, but.....
    3. Do you have to travel any distance? The commute isn't free in both time and gas cost.
    4. Do you want the guy setting your prices for you?
    5. You might quote him your price and tell him nicely that if he can get a quality job for $300, you won't stand in his way.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
      The boat doesn't look all that bad in the pictures.
      Some things to consider.
      1. Is the guy going to be a nitpicker when you are finished?
      2. $300 means to get $50 an hour, you need to get it done in 6 hours. Possible if things go well, but.....
      3. Do you have to travel any distance? The commute isn't free in both time and gas cost.
      4. Do you want the guy setting your prices for you?
      5. You might quote him your price and tell him nicely that if he can get a quality job for $300, you won't stand in his way.
      1) He's picky, cheap should I go on...?
      2) $50 hr 6 HRS I hope it can be done...
      3) Have to travel 78 total miles
      4) Heck NO!!!
      5) He already called around and received a quote of $300
      6) Will I decline detail ..? ....DEFINITELY .....
      (269)650-2242

Comment

Pictures are forgiving, too. if the interior looks that mucked up and in disarray in photos, you have to wonder what it's like in person? That could be a two-day job.
        2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Comment

Did you take those pics or did the owner?

You could say its $300 for x amount of hours, then its $x per hour after that.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

It is almost not worth thinking about the job, especially if he set the price with no negotiation.

And with no compensation for 78 miles, it makes the decision that much easier.........

WALK AWAY!!!!

If he called around, and got quotes for about $300, then either the people who quoted him did not see the boat, or do not use superior products such as Meguiars.

If you decide to take the job, you need to charge for mileage, and explain to the guy that you may be a little more, but you have "X" number expertise, you are using Meguiars Marine products, which are specially formulated for marine use.

You have to sell yourself, and FWIW, I would charge $350-$400+ ($0.30/mile x 78 miles)=$373.40-$423.40
            Last edited by Executive Detailing; Jan 28, 2008, 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot something-I'm blonde--forgive me!

Comment

I agree with executive detailing. Round trip of 78 miles has to be factored in. Thats almost 40-45 minutes extra each way. (driving conservative). If he will not include a mileage rate and agree to something like this is for x amount of hours, I recieve this much each additional hour. I think your best bet would be to walk away. Good Luck.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Hey Joe,

I am sure you know already what I would do, but just in case..walk away from it. From a couple of those shots I can see oxidation on the hull, stains in the carpets that I doubt will come out and a general messiness all over. If he has already called around and was quoted that, then he should go there.

Just IMHO!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I agree with Tim, after calling around, the guy wants you to do your quality of work for their price. They probably didn't see the boat. WALK AWAY
                  2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
                  AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
                  1st Place-Best Overall Detail
                  3rd Place-Best of Show
                  March 26th, 2011

Comment

I agree to walk away as well. You could probably spend over 8 hours just doing the interior and engine bay. $300 is not worth it.

Comment

Thanks, for the out-pour of advice guys much appreciated ....

Showed up the owner said you know what...?
                      I'm thinking of letting my 18 year old son do the job instead.
                      Also he called a local detail shop,didn't bring it there (POSITIVE)...So they can speculate only ..
                      He said if you match their price of $300 and if my son turns it down I'll contact you I said ok Bye .....
                      When he calls me which I'm sure he will one way or the other I'll decline the offer to detail...
                      What ticks me off more than anything, I wasted $10 in gas going there, never again will I go out of my way ....
                      (269)650-2242

Comment

It takes a long time to do a boat like that! There is no way it could be done in 4, or even 6 hours! Like someone previously posted, that could be a 2 day job. Just the carpet alone could take several hours. That carpeting just looks nasty! I'm glad I got dark carpeting in my boat.

RamAirV1
                        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hey Joe,

As you can see, most of the time it is all about trying to figure out exactly what need the customer wants you to fill. In this case, looks like he wants it done for nothing. I agree, he is surely a customer to a-void.
                          FRANK CANNA
                          Mirror Finish Detailing
                          23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');