• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Detail using PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Detail using PC

Attempted my first boat detail. It was really just the outside the client was interested in reconditioning. I wasn't to pleased with the results. The client was pleased. I didn't take very good pics either. Oh well here's my sorry pics of my sorry detail. After surface evaluation the damage was minimal oxidation and mostly sunlight damage. I wasn't to sure how to fix.

This is what I had to work with.

First we rinsed with pressure washer. Then we washed with NXT car wash and rinsed with the washer.

Then we used #49, with W-8006 pad on PC speed set 5 and a click. Topped with #50 applied by hand. I tried ColorX and NXT but it didn't seem to improve the washout. Oh well the client was pleased anyway. This was the first time I used the marine line products. The products are easy to use and appear to produce great results. In this instance we will see how long that will last.

Here's the afters

This side had the worst sun damage.

Hi Scrub,

After using the #49 Oxidation Remover, chances are good you could have really brought out the color more by applying the #45 Boat Polish and the applying a wax.

It is the rich, feeder oils in the boat polish that will add richness to the color and help to prevent future oxidation, or at least slow it down.

Give this a try next time. Otherwise, good job!

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Nice improvement. When was the last time the boat was taken care of? I would have used a rubbing compound to take care of the oxidation and followed that with a light abrasive or polish.

Mike,
      How about the new marine one step cleaner/compound, would that have worked?

Eric
      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

good work scrub! head up high.
        boats campers and large trucks can wipe you out in the middle of a detail (mentally) there size and time consuption can work against you. I think you did good.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          Hi Scrub,

After using the #49 Oxidation Remover, chances are good you could have really brought out the color more by applying the #45 Boat Polish and the applying a wax.

It is the rich, feeder oils in the boat polish that will add richness to the color and help to prevent future oxidation, or at least slow it down.

Give this a try next time. Otherwise, good job!

Mike
          Thanks for replies and comments.

The above steps were my first attempt as stated above. I did call cust serv for their recommendation several months ago. These are the steps they said to use at that time. Maybe I should have posted on forum first then ordered product.

Teak

The boat hadn't seen to much TLC. It's an older boat and on the auction block so to speak..

I hear ya!

Comment

Here's a basic outline of boat detailing cleaners, polishes and waxes, listed from most aggressive to least aggressive.

HEAVY DUTY OXIDATION REMOVER
            Use Meguiar’s #49 Oxidation Remover to polish-out extreme surface oxidation and other significant surface defects.

COLOR RESTORER
            Use Meguiar’s #44 Color Restorer to polish-out mild surface oxidation, fine scratches, water spots and dullness.

BOAT POLISH
            Use Meguiar’s #45 Boat Polish after the fiberglass gel coat has been pre-cleaned and all embedded contamination has been removed.

CLEANER WAX
            Use Meguiar’s #50 Cleaner Wax to clean, polish and protect in one easy application. Also removes light oxidation and mild surface contamination.

HI-TECH YELLOW WAX
            Use Meguiar’s #56 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to add a measure of protective luster to previously cleaned and polished fiberglass.

POLYMER SEALANT
            Use Meguiar’s # 55 Polymer Sealant to create an exceptional long lasting shine.
            FRANK CANNA
            Mirror Finish Detailing
            23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Hey

Just to add,

Meguiar's new One Step Compound M-6732 is for Moderate-Heavy Oxidation etc.

Most gel coats respond well to PC buffing. But some require a rotary with an aggressive compound.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for more replies. As my boat detailing career furthers I will take your advice and invest in the missing products.

I'll step up to rotary soon...

Comment

Scrub,

For best results when it comes to boat detailing and buffing out the gelcoat, a rotary high-speed polisher is the best piece of equipment to use.

The PC just doesn't have the cutting ability like the rotary but you had the right idea in mind.

Remember, for heavily oxidized gelcoats use:

Rotary polisher
                  Yellow wool pad (white can be used too)
                  Heavy oxidation remover then an aggressive polish on a wool pad. Then follow up with a paste wax or boat sealant.

Many people will say you can use automotive products (polishes and waxes -- compound yes) on a gelcoat but the truth is you really can't.

I'd like to add a picture to show you what can be done with extremely faded painted sides and gelcoated surfaces. Althought 3M was used, you can still get the same results with Meguiars.

Take care,

Brian Angelucci
                  Precision Auto & Marine
                  Hamilton, New Jersey
                  Visit us online: www.precision-online.com

"Detailing isn't just a luxury, it's a necessity"

Comment

YachtDetailer
                    Thanks for posting. And thank you for the very useful info and great pic. I guess using a rotary on an older boat is a great way to learn... That pic is awesome. I hate to see it now, as I feel I missed the boat on this detail (so to speak he-he). I'll get the rotary and call my friend back to do a better job!! Thanks again for the info.

Comment

You're very welcome, Scrub!

Glad you liked the pic -- that's a great example of before/after. Yes, the rotary is a MUST when it comes to older boats.

Newer boats can be sealed/waxed by hand or have the PC apply product.

And the new AWGRIP on some of the newer boats, you can't use any abrasive product whatsoever or you void warranty. Times and technology are changing.

If interested, I have a "Complete Guide To Boat Detailing" I'll be selling within the next week. If interested, send me an email. Teaches EVERYTHING about boat detailing.
                      Take care,

Brian Angelucci
                      Precision Auto & Marine
                      Hamilton, New Jersey
                      Visit us online: www.precision-online.com

"Detailing isn't just a luxury, it's a necessity"

Comment

I use 56 boat/rv pure wax on my friends Carolina skiff 18 foot flats boat here in Tampa Florida. He hits bottom sometimes because its a flats boat (can float in 6 inches of water) and goea way out into the Bay and The Gulf of Mexico. Salt water is harsh on other waxes Ive tried but no.56 holds up. Lets see.....he rides out once a week to fish for snook and stays out all mornig till late afternoon. When hes done just spray off the brown ring. I waxed it about 3 months ago and after about 15 times taking her out your hand still glides along the boat i am very impressed with this product hats off to the maker. Thats all I have to say about that.
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');