• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Go !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Go !

I was so naïve in thinking that looking after my car was a wash with a sponge and then a coat of wax with an old t-shirt. I know I can hear some of you guys cringing! But, I have now seen the error of my ways thanks to this forum.

Washed the car with Gold Class wash and then had a go at using clay. Never even heard of this stuff before but I have read it is a must, so I did it. Got a few smudges at first until I got the hang of it and using the quik detailer, but soon enough it was gliding on and the results were smoooooooth.

I inherited some nasty stone chips from the previous owner who obviously didn’t care about the car. I had previously applied touch up paint last week and went ahead to colour sand (In for a penny in for a pound !) having faith in Meguiars products.

Here’s a couple examples after sanding with 1500 + 2500 unigrit.

I then had to make a couple of changes to the PC7424 to make it work in the UK. Cut the two pin plug off and attach a specific yellow one so it would work in the transformer to step down our 240 volt to 110v.

Applied #2 with PC and 7006 cutting pad on speed 5. Not used PC before but I think soon got the hang of it. Wasn’t really sure how much product to put on and how long to work it in for. Just kept going to what I though looked ok and then wiped off. Then #9 with 8006 polishing pad, then applied #7 by hand and wiped off and finally applied a coat of Gold Class wax with PC and 9006 finishing pad and wiped off with ultimate wipe.

sorry about the junk in my garage but gives a good reflection!

Wheels I used Meguiars hot rims, trim auto glym vinyl care and on the glass auto gylm glass polish because I already had them. ( what are Meguiars alteranatives)

This is what I got the car to look like which I am very happy with.

However, the day after it was a very sunny day and upon close inspection I could still see some of the areas I had colour sanded. And this is where I need some help. Is the #2 suitable for the job or perhaps I haven’t worked it in properly (being new to a PC) and therefore I just need to go over it again with the PC or do I need something with a little bit more bite first? (I just followed Meguiars warning of starting with the least abrasive first)

Hey,

Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut is generally used for Single Stage paints, and not BC/CC (Clear Coat). Next, #2 is also designed to be used with a rotary buffer to get optimum performance and to break down the product properly.

I would suggest that you try Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. However, wet sanding factory paint is very tricky! Generally, you will need to use a Rotary to remove all of the sanding marks as the BC/CC is usually VERY hard from the factory.

Give the #83 a try and see if it helps. If not, you will need to find someone with experience using a rotary to remove them.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the response although I now don’t feel quite as confident. I thought I would be able to achieve the results seen and discussed on this forum. That said I do feel that I was a little timid in using the PC as not sure what overall result it would give, how much pressure to use, how long to work the surface and whether I worked the products long enough. Reading is one thing actually seeing a working demonstration is another. You guys are lucky have Mike Phillips giving a Saturday morning demo. I must say that in some areas where I must have worked the surface more you cant see any of the sanding marks, so is encoraging

I take on board your comment re #2 and that DACP is more orientated for clearcoat and have therefore ordered DACP from Megs UK.

As I have actually put a coat of gold class wax on the car do I need to clean this off before I use the DACP and if so with what ? should I use the #83 with polishing pad or the cutting pad? any other advice would also be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Cat
        Thanks for the response although I now don’t feel quite as confident. I thought I would be able to achieve the results seen and discussed on this forum.
        don't be discoraged, I've done this stuff for years and have learned allot in the last year so your always learning! most of the guys giving advice on here have YEARS of experince (and some mistakes) under their belts. and we are all here to learn.

[/QUOTE] As I have actually put a coat of gold class wax on the car do I need to clean this off before I use the DACP and if so with what ? should I use the #83 with polishing pad or the cutting pad? any other advice would also be welcomed.[/QUOTE]

The #83 will take the wax off on its own so you don't have to do any thing else. I would try the polishing pad first in a test spot and if your still not satisfied , than go to the cutting pad. (start with the less aggressive.) be paitant, keep trying and you get the hang off it. and alway stay open to new ways of doing things.good luck. post your results so we know how it went.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Hey Black Cat,

Sorry, I did not mean to discourage you. But at the same time, I wanted to be as honest as possible. Moreover, as 2000 said, I have made many mistakes over the years!

Try the #83 with a W-8006 Polishing Pad. If that does not work, you could try the W-7006 Cutting Pad with the #83 on the wet sanding marks. I would not use a cutting pad on the whole car however. If that does not work, then you will need to find someone with a rotary (and experience) to remove the sanding marks for you.

As for the Gold Class, no, just apply the #83 and it will remove any previous wax. Then top the #83 with the Gold Class again.

Good Luck! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or post it here. Again, I did not mean to discourage you! Sorry

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Okay no probs and thanks for the additional advice. I’ll have another go when I get the DACP but surprise surprise its raining again here in Manchester, UK and looks set to stay for a bit. Great.

Comment

Hi Black Cat,

If you use the W-7006 pad with DACP, it will break the product down a little faster than the polishing pad will...Try using the 4 1/2 to 5 speed setting and don't buff the product completely dry.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
              r. b.

Comment

I have to give you some credit Black Cat. I wouldn't of had the balls to wet sand a BMW with little or no experience.
                Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by detailthis
                  I have to give you some credit Black Cat. I wouldn't of had the balls to wet sand a BMW with little or no experience.
                  Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by detailthis
                    Keep it up!
                    This is the qoute of the thread!

I wanted to say that but I didn't have the b***!
                    2019 GMC Sierra
                    1500 AT4

Comment

Ahh Black Cat You did a fantastic job and you received some good advise to BUT no body really saw the problem at hand my friend.

ahhhhh Black Cat your steering wheel is on the wrong side....Tee Hee

Nice job Hope my first job looks as good as yours.
                      Keep up the good work.
                      Rich
                      If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Car looks great. Keep at it, you will be a pro in no time.
                        Now go clean up that garage!! LOL!

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by 2000
                          This is the qoute of the thread!

I wanted to say that but I didn't have the b***!
                          hmm i only counted 3 asterices, is this a mistype or just more than we needed to know about you... sorry i can be an a* sometimes

great work Black_Cat, please update us since I've been wriggling over the idea of wetsanding my - coincidentally - black bimmer in a few areas. at least for your own sake, i hope the DACP proves to work well.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Griz
                            hmm i only counted 3 asterices, is this a mistype or just more than we needed to know about you...

Jason
                            baseball injury

just kidding
                            2019 GMC Sierra
                            1500 AT4

Comment

Excellent work Black Cat & great results

You certainly gain more confidence with the PC the more you use it - you sort of get a feel for it after a while.

You obviously had to do the same as I did in getting a site 230V -> 110V transformer & plug etc. - but even with the extra £50 or so that meant aswell as extra shipping costs etc. I still think it still worth it. At least by the time I feel ready to move up to a rotary Makita do both 110V & 230V machines, but then again as I have the transformer already it will probably be cheaper to import a 110V model from the US.

BIG BALLS!

Where did you get the Unigrit here in the UK? I feel inspired to give it a go on some bird lime etching on the roof of my wife's Golf. Always good to experiment on her car first I find - just don't tell I said that

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');