• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY!!!! My MB C320 4-Matic!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY!!!! My MB C320 4-Matic!!

I had to put up pics on CarDoamin as you can see below, but here she is, FINALLY!!!

I picked up this 2003 C320 4-Matic in Dec of '04. The finish was in stereotypical shape, the previous owner apparently only had it waxed twice a year and never bothered with trying to keep swirl-marks and spiderwebbing off the finish. I've spent quite a few days slowly working the defects out fo the finish that are not through the paint. I'm about 80% done, but I'll eventually end up having the car refinished.

The first day I had off from work, I went and had the car washed and brought it back to the garage. I set up 4 space heaters, (it was 18F outside) and waited about 4 hours for the finish to get close to 45F. I then clayed the entire surface, which took about 2 hours, from all the contamination the previous owner never bothered to take care of. I then used Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish(DACP), with their Porter Cable orbital polisher. The difference was amazing, I wish I had had the foresight to take before and after pics. After the DACP, I applied a pure polish to the car to try and start "feeding" the finish with the lubricants and oils it was probably crying for! (LOL). To finish, I applied a coat of Meguiars NXT liquid wax. I let it set in for about 90 minutes because of the slightly colder than recommended temperature, and then removed it. The results were unbelievable. The whole process took nearly 6 hours because of the time added for the cold, with something that should've taken about 4. The pics you see here, are from the 4th repeat of the process listed above. Not completely done yet, but getting there. Then again, are we ever truly satisfied with our finishes?

The full write up can be found here:

Full CarDomain write-up

I recently added on some badging to the front fenders of the car, which, IMHO, changed the stance and appearance of the car very nicely.

Last edited by atclew; Jun 27, 2005, 09:37 AM.
    Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Re: FINALLY!!!! My MB C320 4-Matic!!

Originally posted by atclew
    After the DACP, I applied a pure polish to the car to try and start "feeding" the finish with the lubricants and oils it was probably crying for! (LOL). To finish, I applied a coat of Meguiars NXT liquid wax.

The pics you see here, are from the 4th repeat of the process listed above. Not completely done yet, but getting there. Then again, are we ever truly satisfied with our finishes?

Nice looking car. I love when a black car's paint looks like it's dripping off the metal! A few questions:

What type of pure polish did you use?

You mentioned that the pics are after the "4th repeat of the process." Can you explain that? Did you mean that this was the fouth time you applied this process, over a length of time? Or did you apply 4 coats of each product?

Comment

directly form the car domain site...

Here's a short list of other additions/mods;

-Chrome doorhandle inserts.
      -Chrome headlamp rings.
      -"CL style" sports grille, (soon to be replaced by slightly different version).
      -"V6" badging behind front wheel-wells.
      -Xenon interior lighting.

wait... xenon interior lighting?? thats a new one. i must see that. must be bright as **** in there . no need to fumble around for that black phone that just fell or your change. nice car none the less

Comment

Re: Re: FINALLY!!!! My MB C320 4-Matic!!

Originally posted by 05PhillyStang
        What type of pure polish did you use?

You mentioned that the pics are after the "4th repeat of the process." Can you explain that? Did you mean that this was the fouth time you applied this process, over a length of time? Or did you apply 4 coats of each product?
        Thanks for the compliment!!!

I used Meguiars #81 Hand Polish, but I cheated a bit and applied it with the PC for uniform coverage

That was the 4th time I had done the whole process over about 6 weeks, when I had more than one day off of work. For instance, I started the first time on a Saturday, then re-did it the next Saturday, and so on.
        Lew

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Originally posted by LnkPrkSoldier
          wait... xenon interior lighting?? thats a new one. i must see that. must be bright as **** in there . no need to fumble around for that black phone that just fell or your change. nice car none the less
          LOL! Yes the difference was HUGE! I was rather skepitcal at first, but it is VERY bright in there at night. I'll see what I can do and mess around with the camera and see if I can get some quality pics of the interior at night.

Thanks for the compliment!!
          Lew

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Nice looking ride!

Black is a worthy opponent when it comes to car colors, but with the right weaponry, you'll emerge the champion!
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Nice looking ride!

Black is a worthy opponent when it comes to car colors, but with the right weaponry, you'll emerge the champion!
              Thanks Mike!

It's not quite where I want it yet. I suppose it's time to learn to properly use a rotary buffer (again, it's been 15 years since I've touched one), and learn to wetsand. Off to the junkyard I go, for old body panels!

Any word on a Chicagoland clinic?
              Lew

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Originally posted by atclew
                Any word on a Chicagoland clinic?
                I haven't heard anything.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"