• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Extreme Makeover - Black '99 Camry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Extreme Makeover - Black '99 Camry

This is my first attempt at an extreme makeover. It's my son's black 99 Camry. He's had it for about 5-6 years and only washed it maybe once a year and never was it waxed. As you can see in the BEFORE photos there was a lot of dirt, oxidation, bird etchings, rock chips and scratches. I couldn,t tell about swirls under all of that.

My limitations were time (he had to head for college), lack of experience, shade (no garage to get out of the SoCal sun), limited products and no machine (when I started). I overcame most of these imitations, except for the time and need a lot more experience.

The products and tools that I used were:

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash
    Meguiar's Professional Detailing Clay (Mild)
    Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound
    Porter-Cable 7424XP Random Orbit Polisher
    Meguiar's DA Microfibre Correction System
    Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0
    Meguiar's Last Touch Spray Detailer
    Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate
    Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner
    Meguiar's Quik Detailer Interior
    Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Dash and Trim Restorer
    Meguiar's All Season Dressing
    Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
    Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
    Bissell Little Green Proheat

I started by washing and drying the car followed by the detailing clay. Maybe I should have used the medium version of the detailing clay but the mild seemed to work fine.

Next I used #105 to get rid of the heavy oxidation. This I did by hand and because I could only work on the car a couple of hours in the morning while it was overcast and a couple of hours in the evening before sunset, it to get the oxidation off of all areas. Two things came to my attention at this time. First, a real bad repaint had been done on the cars roof and hood before we bought and second, I couldn

Re: My First Extreme Makeover - Black '99 Camry

Where are the pictures?

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');