• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring a hood with the Ultimate lineup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a hood with the Ultimate lineup!

Okay, I wanted to showcase the ability of the 3 main products in the Ultimate line that are available to consumers at any Walmart or auto store for a total of less than $40. For my canvas I used the hood of my mother's 2005 Subaru Forester. It is silver so it hides a lot of imperfections but the veterans here will definitely be able to see the defects. All of this was done in the direct sunlight in 87 degree weather. My goal is to demonstrate how three over the counter products can produce superior results even out in the field for the mobile detailer or the weekend warrior. In a perfect world I would have used a vehicle with a darker color but sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have to work with. The fact that these products made such a profound impact on a silver vehicle even makes the outcome that much more gratifying though. So here was my process:

- Sprayed paint down with CroftGateUSA Multi-Clean (let sit for about 20-30 seconds)
    - Washed hood with CroftGateUSA Aquanil-X and microfiber towel
    - Clayed hood with Meg's Smooth Surface Clay and Quik Detailer
    - Compounded with Ultimate Compound on Softbuff 2.0 polishing pad with PC 7424 DA (speed setting 6) *I know this is not recommended but it actually worked better than setting 5*
    - Applied Ultimate Polish with polishing pad on DA (speed setting 4)
    - Topped off with Ultimate Wax as LSP (by hand)

On with the pictures!!!!!

This is the hood after washing. You can see the swirls in the paint. RIDS weren't too bad but the swirls, OH MY, OH MY!!! This is the way the entire hood was. Just covered in water marks and swirlies I just wish the before pictures did more justice. Take my word for it, this paint was pretty trashed.

Another shot from a different angle. Here you can see a spot of oxidation below the reflection of the sun to the right. Yucky!

After one pass of UC on the DA at speed 5. Took a bunch out but still not good enough.

After a second pass at speed setting 6 and a pass of UP at speed 4. Much better!!!

Another angle:

And after I applied a coat of UW. You may notice some slight pitting in the paint. There is really nothing I can do about that without wet sanding I think. Some of it appears to be from acid rain and some actual looked like tiny tiny chips in the clear from years on the road.

Now for the 50/50 shots. Here is the left side of the hood. Say "Oooohhh, purtty!!!"

And the right side. My eyes!!! My eyes!!!

I went ahead and repeated my process on the right side of the hood and achieved the same great results. Here is the finish product:

The pad after the UC. Loaded up with dirt from the paint:

And a nice little placement of the three fantastic products I used

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!!

~Andy

Re: Restoring a hood with the Ultimate lineup!

Nice job. Apparently you did not wash it or clay it enough because of dirt on the pad?

Comment

Thanks Mark! I did actually clay the hood quite well however the dirt was embedded in the paint which is where the UC came in as a paint cleaner. The car was actually clayed about 8 months ago but has never really received anything along the lines of cleaning the paint until now except for NXT 2.0 which has a very slight cleaning property. I am actually glad the pad came out so dirty as to show why it is necessary to clean the paint in one form or another

Comment

Awesome JobMy goal is to use the same process and get my cars paint looking so darn purty.

Comment

Originally posted by kristina27 View Post
          Awesome JobMy goal is to use the same process and get my cars paint looking so darn purty.
          Thanks Kristina Your goal is easily within reach. I really wanted to show everyone who may be hesitant that these products are safe and very easy to use. I would recommend a DA polisher of course as it will take more work by hand but you can do this any way you want to. Perhaps the greatest attribute to UC is the fact that it is tough enough to remove moderate defects, yet the SMAT technology works so well that I often do not even need to follow UC with UP. Usually I can go straight to UW.

Comment

Should anyone have any questions as far as a more detailed look at my process, please feel free to email me at beetlevw72@gmail.com

Comment

Nice job Andy! Looks real nice!

Thanks for tagging me in the pics lol
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698
              Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

No problem Shawn! Thanks for the compliment! I really want to try the new DA MF system but with everything going in my life right now money just doesn't permit. I need to get a G110v2 first to get the best result out of it. Right now I'm stuck with a PC 7424

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');