• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 Cobra: Exterior correction (D300 MF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Cobra: Exterior correction (D300 MF)

This is another classic car that my mentor just picked up. He's running it at the auction this week and he called me up last minute to see if I could give the paint a little help. The catch being that the car was already at the auction sitting in lane one, cleanliness and speed were an important factor, and I had one evening to get it done. I normally don't detail during the week as I have a full time job too, but for a good friend I didn't mind making an exception...plus it was a cool car.

Detailing off site, especially at a place were a bunch of car jockeys can come by and interrupt your work is not something I like doing. I also don't like packing up all my stuff and it seems like you always find a need something you didn't pack.

I left work a little early to pack up all my gear. I got started on the car around 4:30 and finished at about 10:30.

Process:

-ONR wash
    -Light claying
    -D300 via PCXP with 5" MF pads, tight areas with the 3"
    -M205 via rotary with white LC pads
    -Gtechniq P2 via PCXP with Cyan LC pads.
    -Blackfire Wet-Diamond via PCXP blue LC pad

This paint was actually a nightmare to work on. The D300 left a very noticeable haze/marring but it was the only product I had that cut remove the defects without generating a lot of dust. I had to clear up the haze with M205 on a polishing pad, and then I followed up with P2 to ensure there were no holograms and to amp up the gloss. The paint was very scratch sensitive and new DI Great White towels were used on the finishing steps and wax removal.

Because of time pics are very limited, I was also exhausted and hungry so the last thing I wanted to do was take pics.

Before condition:

These were his main concern...D300 knocked them out after a couple passes.

After

Thanks for looking,

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: '65 Cobra: Exterior correction (D300 MF)

Man that thang is some sorta sweeeet! Nice work Chad!
    Don
    "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Outstanding work!

Comment

Looks great Chad.

It took me a couple months when doing mobile work to not forget anything, LOL.

Anyways, great job as usual.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Car looks great! Always great work!

You detail and hold down a full-time job? Kudos!
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I think it is safe to say you did a far better job than anyone could have asked or hoped for even with no time limits or location issues, let alone given your constraints.

Amazing turn around...

Comment

Another awesome project of yours, Chad. The Cobra looks great.

You had to do some work to clean up after D300 but the final results are stunning.

Comment

That scenario you describe I can only think of these phrases:

A set-up for failure
                No pressure
                Ice water runs in your veins

And one other:

Way to go!!!

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

Looking at those after shots reminds me why I love black paint!

Well done Chad!
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I had a typo on the write up...it was a "crimson" pad that I finished with, not a cyan.
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Great job Chad. Being black it looks flawless with the situation you were given. It looks like you had some decent lighting too. I'm in the same boat as you. Whenever I go to a site to detail I end up over packing leaving no room in back of my truck and end up forgetting the one thing I need. I think I've gotten better.
                      Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                      www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                      Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Nice job Chad.

I did a superformance cobra. I consulted with Mike Stoops beforehand. I knew he had worked on one a couple of months earlier. He told me not to use the microfiber pad on the superformance cobra paint. He said it would definitely leave a haze. I ended up doing the car with the rotary and M105/205 and that got the job done. Sounds like you had a similar situation.
                        -Bob
                        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Hemin8r View Post
                          Great job Chad. Being black it looks flawless with the situation you were given. It looks like you had some decent lighting too. I'm in the same boat as you. Whenever I go to a site to detail I end up over packing leaving no room in back of my truck and end up forgetting the one thing I need. I think I've gotten better.
                          Thanks Jesse! The facility was very nice actually.

I need to make a check list for all my items I think.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                          Nice job Chad.

I did a superformance cobra. I consulted with Mike Stoops beforehand. I knew he had worked on one a couple of months earlier. He told me not to use the microfiber pad on the superformance cobra paint. He said it would definitely leave a haze. I ended up doing the car with the rotary and M105/205 and that got the job done. Sounds like you had a similar situation.
                          Yep.

I really wanted to avoid using M105 though simply because of the dusting. Had the car been in my shop and time not an issue I would have likely used something else.
                          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Great work as always Chad!
                            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I wish there was a word beyond WOW, to descibe this!
                              Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');