• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM rear wheel well liners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM rear wheel well liners

Went and had some rear wheel well liners installed on my truck.

For some reason all the trucks come with plastic liners on the front wells from the factory, rear ones are painted.

Got sick of the painted look after three years, plus they are a pain to clean and just lost their "new look" after a while.

Anyways, my Chevy dealer had them in stock and I bought a set and just had them install them.

Came out to about $233.66. Would have been only $133 if I installed them myself.

I honestly didnt know they made these until I browsed the accessory page on the GM.com.

Might be able to get them on other GM vehicles that arent plastic lined already, I know some here that had painted wheel wells wearing out.

A few pics. They are a bit dirty after twenty miles of driving.

Here you can see how they were painted before:

Wish I had the time to keep it looking this good like I used to, taken about a year ago.

Just thought I would share.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Re: GM rear wheel well liners

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of getting some myself, so I'd be interested in knowing what you think of them long term. I would have already purchased them, but a bunch of guys on a GM truck forum said they didn't like the look. I think they look good, but I haven't seen them in person.

After looking at them, would you have done the install yourself? I can't imagine that it would be too complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
      Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of getting some myself, so I'd be interested in knowing what you think of them long term. I would have already purchased them, but a bunch of guys on a GM truck forum said they didn't like the look. I think they look good, but I haven't seen them in person.

After looking at them, would you have done the install yourself? I can't imagine that it would be too complicated.
      I like the look. Looks much better IMO.

I knew they would be easy to install, just didnt have the time to do it and wanted to drive off with them on there.

Which GM forums are you on Bill?
      Nick
      815-954-0773

Comment

I agree. I like the look. I think it is a good investment. They look great.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I like it Nick

Comment

I've had them on my '08 Sierra since the day I bought it new. They have held up great, and still look brand new over 2 years later. While I had the dealer install them on my truck for me (before I took delivery), I will say that installing them would be very easy for anyone with basic mechanical abilities and a knack for using hand tools.

Personally I like the look far better than leaving the frame rails exposed.

Comment

Looks awesome! I painted mine black when I had an 02 Silverado and an 00 S-10. Both trucks were Indigo Blue Metallic.
              -James
              2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

I live in a dirty environment. They use gravel on the road primarily, because it is too cold for salt to be effective. The wheel wheels take a beating. The underneath of Nicks truck looks brand new. So not only do they look good. They should stop a lot of the salt, rocks and water from infiltrating all the nooks and crannies.

They look like a good investment.

Nick, I have the same type of splash guards. I suggest you add a little bit of 3M flim underneath the edge where the splash guard comes in contact with the paint (if you plan on keeping the truck). On my GMC there is a little bit of film there, but it doesn't extend up high enough. Your splash guard will vibrate and rub the paint in this area. If you live in a dirty environment like I do, the entire underneath will end up full of sand and grit. I removed mine this summer and there are there is damage under this area. There were actually small rust spots underneath one of them.

I did a really nice job with the 3M film maybe I'll take a photo. I actually have one off right now, so I can show you some of the damage they cause.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Bill.

The front and rear wheelwells are in good shape and I do a pretty good job of cleaning and dressing them when I wash the truck. They do look good after a wash.

What bothers me a bit:

The frame and undercarriage do not look brand new though , I pressure wash them every time I wash the truck but they could still use a good undercoating spray. But you almolst have to get down on your hands on knees and look underneath the truck to see how a bit dirty and faded it is.

The truck has been through three winters and is a daily driver so I cannot possibly expect a brand new looking undercarriage, LOL.

Heck, even my client's 2010 Sierra's undercarriage is starting to look bad.

Anyways,

I am for sure keeping the truck, had a change of heart and decided to wait five or six years until a new body style comes out, then still keep this one and buy a new one.

As for the mudflaps, I have heard of this issue a while back as well. I hope there is not any damage but their probably is. Hopefully all the times I waxed the truck before putting the flaps on helped but if your affected then I most likely am too.

Was your paint actually flaking off?

I wouldnt mind seeing your pic if its not too much trouble.

Thanks Bill.
                  Nick
                  815-954-0773

Comment

Here you can see the damage caused from the splash guard vibrating against the paint.

Here is a bit closer look, so you can see the damage caused by small rocks/sands that got in behind
                    the splash guard and then acted like sand paper to create small pits in the paint.

Here you can see the piece of 3M film I custom cut to protect this area from future damage.
                    I wish I had installed the splash guards, because I would have done this prior to ever installing them.

Cutting the 3M film to contour with the splash guard takes a little bit of patience, but it's not difficult. Simply remove the splash guard, clean the area, tape a piece of paper to the truck body, hold the splash guard in it's original position and use a black marker to trace the outline of the splash guard onto the paper.

p.s. You can probably pick up scrap pieces of 3M film for free from any place that installs the film.

Well, worth the effort.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Bill.

Looks like my mudflaps will be coming off soon, hope the damage is not too bad.
                      Nick
                      815-954-0773

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                        Thanks for the pics, Bill.

Looks like my mudflaps will be coming off soon, hope the damage is not too bad.
                        Hopefully not. I was pretty disappointed. Likely they did more damage to the truck in 2 years then they prevented.

Yours likely won't be as bad, do to the environment.

By looking at mine, you'd think I tried blasting sand in behind them, but in fact I was careful to always wash away from the seams.

Comment

Looks good. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White. Next time you want to buy a factory item for your truck go here http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Much cheaper. The wheel well liners you got are only 83.30

FYI.
                          http://www.firstcoastautodetailing.com

Comment

Hopefully not. I was pretty disappointed. Likely they did more damage to the truck in 2 years then they prevented.

Yours likely won't be as bad, do to the environment.

By looking at mine, you'd think I tried blasting sand in behind them, but in fact I was careful to always wash away from the seams.
                            I am pretty impressed with the quality of the mudflaps though Bill.

I was going in reverse down my driveway recently and bent my rear flap on a tall flower pot.

the flap was bent enough that the flap was touching the tread of the tire.

All I had to do was re position it back to normal with my hands. No cracks or gouges.

Just an ever so slight hairline scuff mark.

Originally posted by ElementSC View Post
                            Looks good. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White. Next time you want to buy a factory item for your truck go here http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Much cheaper. The wheel well liners you got are only 83.30

FYI.
                            Thank you sir.
                            Nick
                            815-954-0773

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                              I am pretty impressed with the quality of the mudflaps though Bill.

I was going in reverse down my driveway recently and bent my rear flap on a tall flower pot.

the flap was bent enough that the flap was touching the tread of the tire.

All I had to do was re position it back to normal with my hands. No cracks or gouges.

Just an ever so slight hairline scuff mark.
                              That's good to know. I've always been extremely cautious when backing up. I though if you hit them they would rip the screws right out of the sheet metal or shatter.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');